Competitions Health and fitness

Pray for ya boy. ACL is goneski
That's s**t news. All the best man, just come back next year or half way thru next year if you need to.

Its a tough time but you'll get thru it. There's bound to be something you haven't done or learned about yet that can take your mind off it.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's sh*t news. All the best man, just come back next year or half way thru next year if you need to.

Its a tough time but you'll get thru it. There's bound to be something you haven't done or learned about yet that can take your mind off it.

Yeah mate absolutely. I think that's my footy comeback gone - I want to have a family soon and can't play a sport knowing that I'm prone to this kinda thing and support a family. But I will find something else to do and go to another strength.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks mate. Knowing I've got 1 year + before I'm at full strength (potentially a lot longer with this elective surgery layoff) let alone at full fitness, I'm not gonna lie has me super down, but sh*t happens and it could be worse - I have a secure job and can WFH while I recover. It's just such a damn long haul. They build you up for weeks and months and then go in and set you back to zero, then build you up again over 9-12 months.

Knowing that the footy comeback dream is over has me equally bummed. I was loving making new mates and having a kick.

Yeah man it sucks balls for you let's not forget the last two years of horror as well. This is the icing on the s**t cake of life . I am sure you'll have the mental fortitude to work through the process.
I honestly hope you still go to the club and hang out. New friends post covid is the new black. Glad you're looking at the positives. Looking forward to the updates.

Yeah mate absolutely. I think that's my footy comeback gone - I want to have a family soon and can't play a sport knowing that I'm prone to this kinda thing and support a family. But I will find something else to do and go to another strength.
Footy clubs always need non playing support roles. If you're having a good time with them its worth helping out if you can't play.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The athlete urge to say fu** Covid and just hop on my bike and join a group ride but the fatigue says no ughhhhh
It's always tempting to push it when you're (not too) sick but you always have a crap session and I suspect it pushes your recovery out.

It's always tempting to push it when you're (not too) sick but you always have a crap session and I suspect it pushes your recovery out.
Just doing a social ride!

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can you see much in them?
Yep, my understanding is the graft is meant to look like a thick, solid, dark line through the tibial and femoral tunnels. Mine turns white about halfway through and then shifts about 45 degrees, so I presume it's torn or stretched. Obviously I'll leave it to the pros but my last surgeon walked me through what a healthy one should look like both pre and post op.

For me the main giveaways are that it randomly gives out on me and I go down like a bag of crap, and my quad has completely switched off.

Yep, my understanding is the graft is meant to look like a thick, solid, dark line through the tibial and femoral tunnels. Mine turns white about halfway through and then shifts about 45 degrees, so I presume it's torn or stretched. Obviously I'll leave it to the pros but my last surgeon walked me through what a healthy one should look like both pre and post op.

For me the main giveaways are that it randomly gives out on me and I go down like a bag of crap, and my quad has completely switched off.
If only we had on in house pro Nate7
I hope you get better ASAP TMB :)

I usually don’t like to do these things but I’ve never been prouder of myself.

End of 2020 I went through a depressive episode from a traumatising incident where I went from being a bubbly life loving teenager who loved playing sport to an anxiety ridden who couldn’t leave the house without having extreme anxiety and couldn’t enjoy life like a normal teen could. I let myself go, before I weighed 55kg and in a blink of an eye I was about 65kg. I went from loving my body to hating it, couldn’t fit into jeans or pants that I loved to wear. I went from a 6/8 to a 8/10.

2021 was full of change, just started uni, loving playing footy, made so many friends. I was ticking all the boxes in my performances and training but I’d look in the mirror and hated the way my body looked, comparing the way mine looks to others, my self esteem was low.

Turn to this year 2022, we hit the ground running baby! (Well cycling🤪) I had the thought “you know what * it we are gonna stop feeling sorry for myself and get wham!” even though my other thought was “drink, drink, drink, pint, pint, pint, lager, lager, lager, lads, lads, lads”. A week before I went into quarantine I weighed myself and I was 63kg, I was thinking “not bad, not bad”. When I got into quarantine is when I really started to take my nutrition seriously. I found really delicious recipes that’s not chicken and rice lol and just ate really clean whole foods mixed with cardio on my indoor trainer, if just seemed to melt off of me. Now I weigh 61kg. I’m liking my body more each and every day. I’ve never really had abs but they are starting to pop out. I hope this gives some people some inspiration!

91D71AD2-9118-4CBB-8931-7ADC32E8C742.jpeg

Thanks for sticking around to read this!

End of 2020 I went through a depressive episode from a traumatising incident where I went from being a bubbly life loving teenager who loved playing sport to an anxiety ridden who couldn’t leave the house without having extreme anxiety and couldn’t enjoy life like a normal teen could. I let myself go, before I weighed 55kg and in a blink of an eye I was about 65kg. I went from loving my body to hating it, couldn’t fit into jeans or pants that I loved to wear. I went from a 6/8 to a 8/10.

2021 was full of change, just started uni, loving playing footy, made so many friends. I was ticking all the boxes in my performances and training but I’d look in the mirror and hated the way my body looked, comparing the way mine looks to others, my self esteem was low.

Turn to this year 2022, we hit the ground running baby! (Well cycling🤪) I had the thought “you know what fu** it we are gonna stop feeling sorry for myself and get wham!” even though my other thought was “drink, drink, drink, pint, pint, pint, lager, lager, lager, lads, lads, lads”. A week before I went into quarantine I weighed myself and I was 63kg, I was thinking “not bad, not bad”. When I got into quarantine is when I really started to take my nutrition seriously. I found really delicious recipes that’s not chicken and rice lol and just ate really clean whole foods mixed with cardio on my indoor trainer, if just seemed to melt off of me. Now I weigh 61kg. I’m liking my body more each and every day. I’ve never really had abs but they are starting to pop out. I hope this gives some people some inspiration!

View attachment 1316197
Doing well - just pray and persevere. :) Looking good. Nothing better than starting to see the results of your hard work.

Doing well - just pray and persevere. :) Looking good. Nothing better than starting to see the results of your hard work.
Plz I just got flashbacks from pray and preserver lol

Thanks sir hehe

Are these bad boys pricey Ligma?
Well I did the budget version, it was about $350 for the indoor trainer, and I brought a Garmin speed sensor for $45! Through 99 bikes.

Tbh for a starter it’s good, I’ll definitely start to save up to by a smart trainer.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Turn to this year 2022, we hit the ground running baby! (Well cycling🤪) I had the thought “you know what fu** it we are gonna stop feeling sorry for myself and get wham!” even though my other thought was “drink, drink, drink, pint, pint, pint, lager, lager, lager, lads, lads, lads”. A week before I went into quarantine I weighed myself and I was 63kg, I was thinking “not bad, not bad”. When I got into quarantine is when I really started to take my nutrition seriously. I found really delicious recipes that’s not chicken and rice lol and just ate really clean whole foods mixed with cardio on my indoor trainer, if just seemed to melt off of me. Now I weigh 61kg. I’m liking my body more each and every day. I’ve never really had abs but they are starting to pop out. I hope this gives some people some inspiration!

View attachment 1316197
Nice one mate. Congratulations on not just your physical progress, but your mental/emotional one. Body anxiety/dysmorphia is awful and affects a lot of people.

It's a big step and I hope you take the time to acknowledge it and feel proud of yourself for not just the physical changes but the mental health ones too.

Nice work on the beard/afro combo too. It's coming along nicely.

Edit: Also, everyone that posts in this thread is a continual source of inspiration for me. You should all definitely keep posting here and be proud of yourself too for all your progress, no matter how seemingly insignificant. Even taking the time and effort to get active is a huge accomplishment.

Last edited:
Back