Opinion Best player in the game going into 2022?

Who is the best player in the competition going into 2022

• Bontempelli

Votes: 72 26.7%
  • Oliver

Votes: 52 19.3%
  • Petracca

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Martin

Votes: 34 12.6%
  • Greene

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 44 16.3%

• Total voters
Clearly Brendan McCartney was on one almighty bender during the 2015-2018 Dusty and Danger years. They are both far more explosive and have far more xfactor than Clarry ever has
clearly you didn't read his whole post correctly

Unless of course you consider Dangerfield and Dustin Martin inside midfielders

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Clearly Brendan McCartney was on one almighty bender during the 2015-2018 Dusty and Danger years. They are both far more explosive and have far more xfactor than Clarry ever has
McCartney never mentioned X-factor, I did.

But yes, he said he's never seen a player accelerate to the actual contest as Oliver does. It's evident to anyone with footy IQ who likes to watch footy closely. I get why you don't see it.

And since when is Martin an inside mid, which is the category of player I'm referencing ?

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
clearly you didn't read his whole post correctly

Unless of course you consider Dangerfield and Dustin Martin inside midfielders
No I did and Brendan is clearly off his rocker.

Would love to know what you think Danger and Dusty did for the majority of their careers while they were winning brownlows? 2017 Dusty and Danger were some of the most explosive inside mids id ever seen who were able to also push forward and destroy teams single handedly. They later moved to more permanent forward options but both at their peaks were out and out midfield guns

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
No I did and Brendan is clearly off his rocker.

Would love to know what you think Danger and Dusty did for the majority of their careers while they were winning brownlows? 2017 Dusty and Danger were some of the most explosive inside mids id ever seen who were able to also push forward and destroy teams single handedly. They later moved to more permanent forward options but both at their peaks were out and out midfield guns
Where did I say he used the term explosive ? I used that term to describe Oliver. And he is an exceptionally explosive INSIDE mid.

You have zero comprehension skills.

And Martin has never been an inside mid.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Has there ever been a weaker list of top players in the game?

Completely disagree.

Arguments being raised for this aren't properly taking into consideration that some genuine all-timers are just towards the back end of their careers (Martin, Fyfe, Buddy, Dangerfield).

Bont and Petracca lead it for me right now. I'll never forget watching them go head to head at their absolute best in a Grand Final.

Sam Walsh is almost there. In 2 years time he'll be right there alongside those two.

The next generation of absolute stars just need some time to prove themselves.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Where did I say he used the term explosive ? I used that term to describe Oliver. And he is an exceptionally explosive INSIDE mid.

And Martin has never been an inisde mid.
Okay if you want to be pedantic... whos got more acceleration... Patrick Dangerfield, or Clayton Oliver?

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Most contested beasts have no speed, but Oliver is explosive.

Most players decelerate at the contest. His former coach Brendan McCartney has stated he's never seen another player accelerate to the contest like Oliver.

He's tough, creative and for an inside mid he has plenty of X-factor. As this short clip of his 2021 shows.

So when comparing apples with apples, i.e. inside mids to other inside mids, he has plenty of ''X-factor''. But if you're comparing him to a crafty forward flanker then it will be different.

You could use 10 minutes of his highlights vs Adelaide, man he was amazing that game.

Peak Dangerfield is on another level to Oliver and even harder imo
Peak Dangerfield probably was a step up from what Oliver is producing at the moment.

Oliver still has a few years until he reaches his peak though, whether or not he can get to Dangers 2016-17 level remains to be seen though

I wouldn't say he was harder than Oliver though

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

And Martin has never been an inisde mid.
Also... did you not watch the years leading up to and 2017?? He must have been having some sort of season getting 30 touches and 1.5 goals from a flank that year. He was a full time mid for the majority of his career and the last 2-3 he has played more forward than previous years but still runs through the middle as well as any player in the game.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Okay if you want to be pedantic... whos got more acceleration... Patrick Dangerfield, or Clayton Oliver?

You still don't get it.

Dangerfield is faster and more explosive than Oliver. Easily.

No-one is debating that.

BUT, speed hitting a contest is COMPLETELY different. 99% of the players in the competition decelerate when they arrive at a contest. It's a normal and natural thing for any human or footballer to do.

This is what separates Oliver from the 99%. He enters the contest at speed unlike anyone McCartney has seen. Fast players decelerate. Slow players decelerate.

''But but Martin and Dangerfield are more explosive.''

Unfortunately, if I explained with crayons you still won't get it.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Peak Dangerfield probably was a step up from what Oliver is producing at the moment.

Oliver still has a few years until he reaches his peak though, whether or not he can get to Dangers 2016-17 level remains to be seen though

I wouldn't say he was harder than Oliver though
I’ve never seen anyone hit a contest harder then Dangerfield did/does

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Also... did you not watch the years leading up to and 2017?? He must have been having some sort of season getting 30 touches and 1.5 goals from a flank that year. He was a full time mid for the majority of his career and the last 2-3 he has played more forward than previous years but still runs through the middle as well as any player in the game.
An inside mid is a ''first dibs'' mid. Oliver, Wines, Liberatore, Kennedy, etc.

There are also predator mids (first receives from the inside mid) and outside mids (distributed to).

Martin has never been an inside mid.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Most contested beasts have no speed, but Oliver is explosive.

Most players decelerate at the contest. His former coach Brendan McCartney has stated he's never seen another player accelerate to the contest like Oliver.

He's tough, creative and for an inside mid he has plenty of X-factor. As this short clip of his 2021 shows.

So when comparing apples with apples, i.e. inside mids to other inside mids, he has plenty of ''X-factor''. But if you're comparing him to a crafty forward flanker then it will be different.

I think that video prooves my point. No x factor.

he is an excellent player. But if he is the star of the competition we are in a weak period.

sam mitchell, simon black and even greg williams were never the superstars of their era. Best inside mids yes but they werent the superstars. Where are the superstars?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Controversial maybe but going for Petracca, his finals series was extraordinary, and one that will surely cement his legacy as an all Time Demons legend.

Bont had a (slightly) better home and away season, but Trac absolutely blew him out of the water during the finals.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You still don't get it.

Dangerfield is faster and more explosive than Oliver. Easily.

No-one is debating that.

BUT, speed hitting a contest is COMPLETELY different. 99% of the players in the competition decelerate when they arrive at a contest. It's a normal and natural thing for any human or footballer to do.

This is what separates Oliver from the 99%. He enters the contest at speed unlike anyone McCartney has seen. Fast players decelerate. Slow players decelerate.

''But but Martin and Dangerfield are more explosive.''

Unfortunately, if I explained with crayons you still won't get it.
This seems extremely anecdotal and unlikely to be correct.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees

he is an excellent player. But if he is the star of the competition we are in a weak period.

sam mitchell, simon black and even greg williams were never the superstars of their era. Best inside mids yes but they werent the superstars. Where are the superstars?
You're just a crap judge of football.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

Mitchell and Black were superstars

As is Oliver

And Bont and Trac

Back