Position 2022 Fantasy Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year I think I wont be going Gawndy.. then as round 1 approaches slowly but surely everyones mindset shifts back to Gawndy.

We're actually getting them for the cheapest they've been in a couple years too.

I'm leaning towards locking in Gawndy now. There will no doubt be 1 or 2 winning picks outside of that (darcy/witts/rob/marshall/draper) but majority will be a fail I think. It really is a shocking position on the ground to be stuffing with and wasting countless picks.

Atleast if one of Grundy or Gawn go down you've got your pick of the rest.

G'Day Folks,

Picked a team in the first few days after Fantasy opened, but today is my first time back here to see what people are thinking.

It took until page 5 of this thread before people actually started talking about starting with Gawndy... they were the first two picks in my team.

We do it every year, mucking around with bargain rucks and mid pricers, and every year, by about round five or six, everyone is saying they should have just gone set and forget in the rucks.

I can see some upside to going Darcy over Gawn, but you're saving only 130K, and I'm still not sold on Darcy's reliability. Marshall lost my interest when he lost DPP, and I don't see ROB improving much on 86 average from last year. Go for anyone cheaper (Draper, Preuss, Witts etc), and if they get injured early in the season, you're two trades down just to replace them with someone decent.

Going Gawndy, even if one of them starts with some ordinary games, you will still have the cash to sideways to a Darcy or Marshall.

As always, we can only pray for a rookie ruck that gets games from the start :)

Interesting how similar the most selected rucks are in terms of how they get their points.
(percentages of how they get their points per each stat, excluding goals, behinds and free's)

1642836817139.png

1642836866804.png

*Witts' stats based on 2020, not last year.

Witts is the only real outsider in terms of how much he relies on hit-outs for points. This was the reason I selected him last year and wasn't worried about his poor 2020 (reduced quarters = reduced stoppages). However it seems like the new rules being introduced are geared towards reducing the number of stoppages, which doesn't bode well for rucks in general, particularly those reliant on stoppages for hit-out points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'Day Folks,

Picked a team in the first few days after Fantasy opened, but today is my first time back here to see what people are thinking.

It took until page 5 of this thread before people actually started talking about starting with Gawndy... they were the first two picks in my team.

We do it every year, mucking around with bargain rucks and mid pricers, and every year, by about round five or six, everyone is saying they should have just gone set and forget in the rucks.

I can see some upside to going Darcy over Gawn, but you're saving only 130K, and I'm still not sold on Darcy's reliability. Marshall lost my interest when he lost DPP, and I don't see ROB improving much on 86 average from last year. Go for anyone cheaper (Draper, Preuss, Witts etc), and if they get injured early in the season, you're two trades down just to replace them with someone decent.

Going Gawndy, even if one of them starts with some ordinary games, you will still have the cash to sideways to a Darcy or Marshall.

As always, we can only pray for a rookie ruck that gets games from the start :)
I agree that the last 2-3 years Gawndy was the way to go, mostly!!

I didn't start with Gawndy 2 years ago and brought in ROB at the right time and ended up far better than Gawndy!
Flynn would of ended up being a much better option last year, but GWS seemed to looses when he played well, so he was dropped/rested too often.

This year I haven't heard one of the fantasy experts (I listen to a lot of podcasts!) talk with any certainty that Gawn is going to keep his average, let alone even avg over 100!!

Big O, Draper, ROB, NN, Darcy and Witts, should all play a fair bit more time in the ruck than Gawn becasue as good as Jackson is, his best position is ruck and Gawn is better at positional play around the ground.

Any one keen on Ned Reeves if he wins the primary ruck spot at hawthorn? Priced at 59. Went 69 in his 5 games last year.
worried about them going max lynch or big boy

Any one keen on Ned Reeves if he wins the primary ruck spot at hawthorn? Priced at 59. Went 69 in his 5 games last year.
Yep. I am. Keeping an eye on preseason ruck roulette at the Hawks but will lock him in if named for R1. I see him as ruck and BB/Lynch as fwd/ruck

Anyone keen on the DPP rucks as cover for Preuss being a cheap option.
The main pitfall of a cheap R2 is there is so few options to trade to if they're injured.
Swap with a fwd or def and DPP your way to any pos rookie.

There's a few decent options who should hold value.

I'm liking a strong fwd line at this point.

I’ve swung back around to Darcy. His trajectory so far is matching that of Grundy and Gawn. I’m expecting 100+ this season. Durability not too much of a worry, only missed 3 games in the past 2 seasons. Played 21 straight last season and kept playing through injury and actually scoring ok

Anyone keen on the DPP rucks as cover for Preuss being a cheap option.
The main pitfall of a cheap R2 is there is so few options to trade to if they're injured.
Swap with a fwd or def and DPP your way to any pos rookie.

There's a few decent options who should hold value.

I'm liking a strong fwd line at this point.
Who are you thinking though? Only real options I see are English / Comben. English should at worst hold his average you'd think, Comben is probably only 50/50 on making their round 1 team currently

I’ve swung back around to Darcy. His trajectory so far is matching that of Grundy and Gawn. I’m expecting 100+ this season. Durability not too much of a worry, only missed 3 games in the past 2 seasons. Played 21 straight last season and kept playing through injury and actually scoring ok
Yeah he's tempting. Saves 100k on Grundy too and now that Freo have sort of sorted their forward line out there's literally no need for them to play Meek which affected his average early on last year. Durability always going to be at the back of ones mind when it comes to Darcy though

Yeah he's tempting. Saves 100k on Grundy too and now that Freo have sort of sorted their forward line out there's literally no need for them to play Meek which affected his average early on last year. Durability always going to be at the back of ones mind when it comes to Darcy though
Yeah as I touched on though only missed 3 games in the past 2 seasons. Missed round 1 last year and then played every game so that’s got to give us some confidence, particularly when he kept fronting up injured. Read an article where he said he’s a bit leaner and a bit quicker this year which is promising

Who are you thinking though? Only real options I see are English / Comben. English should at worst hold his average you'd think, Comben is probably only 50/50 on making their round 1 team currently
In order of Last 5 average, the following players should at least hold their value and get you out of sh!t should Preuss not make the money we hope.
English, Ladhams, Wright, McEvoy, Jackson & Burgess.

Ladhams on pre season watch for me. Curious how he'll go at a new club. Big blokes seem to have bit of luck at Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back