Opinion Best player in the game going into 2022?

Who is the best player in the competition going into 2022

• Bontempelli

Votes: 72 26.7%
  • Oliver

Votes: 52 19.3%
  • Petracca

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Martin

Votes: 34 12.6%
  • Greene

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 44 16.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You're welcome to explain why.

It's well known within the Melbourne coaching hierarchy.
Because the notion that 99% of players slow down to hit the contest and your golden boy is the exception sounds like a load of absolute shite. It would appear far more likely that you are wearing rose coloured glasses. He is a good player but it is coached into players to hit the contest at speed. I’ve watched Fyfe play for 11 years and never thought ‘Gee, Nat’s a bit slow hitting the contest. I wish he was more like Clayton Oliver’

Because the notion that 99% of players slow down to hit the contest and your golden boy is the exception sounds like a load of absolute sh*te. It would appear far more likely that you are wearing rose coloured glasses. He is a good player but it is coached into players to hit the contest at speed. I’ve watched Fyfe play for 11 years and never thought ‘Gee, Nat’s a bit slow hitting the contest. I wish he was more like Clayton Oliver’
There are degrees of everything and most players decelerate the closer they get to other bodies.

I've been fortunate enough to have been in McCartney's company a few times now and he says he's never seen anyone hit a contest at speed like Oliver.

Whether a Piggy can see it or not doesn't interest me.

There are degrees of everything and most players decelerate the closer they get to other bodies.

I've been fortunate enough to have been in McCartney's company a few times now and he says he's never seen anyone hit a contest at speed like Oliver.

Whether a Piggy can see it or not doesn't interest me.
So what he actually said was he’s never seen a player hit a contest at speed like Oliver? What you said was that other players actually slow down which I am calling out as bullshit.

So what he actually said was he’s never seen a player hit a contest at speed like Oliver? What you said was that other players actually slow down which I am calling out as bullshit.
He said both.

And if you watch games of footy it's as obvious as dog's balls.

But look, your view is of no interest to me. Think what you like.

You still don't get it.

Dangerfield is faster and more explosive than Oliver. Easily.

No-one is debating that.

BUT, speed hitting a contest is COMPLETELY different. 99% of the players in the competition decelerate when they arrive at a contest. It's a normal and natural thing for any human or footballer to do.

This is what separates Oliver from the 99%. He enters the contest at speed unlike anyone McCartney has seen. Fast players decelerate. Slow players decelerate.

''But but Martin and Dangerfield are more explosive.''

Unfortunately, if I explained with crayons you still won't get it.

Tell you what this bloke must be pretty quick if this is him decelerating. Face the facts Clarry is no different to dozens before him. He may be the best of the lot but he has no part of his game that seperates him from being A grade elite to All time great GAJ, Judd, Danger, Dusty, Fyfe levels.

Ill hone back to my original point of Brendan McCartney must have been on a serious wind down if he thinks Clarry accelerates towards or goes harder at a contest than any before him. One of the players who disproves that is still playing, another... oh im not sure... He went alright too

Tell you what this bloke must be pretty quick if this is him decelerating. Face the facts Clarry is no different to dozens before him. He may be the best of the lot but he has no part of his game that seperates him from being A grade elite to All time great GAJ, Judd, Danger, Dusty, Fyfe levels.

Ill hone back to my original point of Brendan McCartney must have been on a serious wind down if he thinks Clarry accelerates towards or goes harder at a contest than any before him. One of the players who disproves that is still playing, another... oh im not sure... He went alright too

At least you finally understand the point.

Well done.

Melbourne probably have 3 of the top 5 perhaps top 4 players in the league, that's mental.
Especially when for years we had none in the top 50

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last was Buddy 100%! Aaron Naughton is the number 1 key position forward in the competition

Naught-On did nothing in the grand final, also Harry McKay is better.

Last was Buddy 100%! Aaron Naughton is the number 1 key position forward in the competition
Naughton? Come on get your hand off it dude

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Greene. I think he is the most unstoppable in the competition. His tools are unlimited. If he can’t get you on the ground, he’ll get you in the air, if you’re quicker, he’ll read it faster, if you’re harder he’ll be more elusive.

Biggest thing holding him back is his midfield is too strong and forward line is too weak, so he doesn’t get the opportunity to pinch hit enough. If he stayed fit for a year I could see him kicking 60 and averaging 20+.

I just had a look at these videos.

Only one came remotely close to showing a disputed ground-ball hit at speed.

I gave you far too much credit by suggesting you'd finally ''got it''.

Greene. I think he is the most unstoppable in the competition. His tools are unlimited. If he can’t get you on the ground, he’ll get you in the air, if you’re quicker, he’ll read it faster, if you’re harder he’ll be more elusive.

Biggest thing holding him back is his midfield is too strong and forward line is too weak, so he doesn’t get the opportunity to pinch hit enough. If he stayed fit for a year I could see him kicking 60 and averaging 20+.
Agree he's a dynamic player and really hard to match up on, but we just can't take him seriously while he continually gets himself rubbed out for big matches. Sooner or later it's going to look like he's trying to avoid the big stage by his repeated sabotaging of himself and his team's chances. Also, he's had his chance to go large in a grand final and he fluffed his lines.

Bontempelli could get better.
He should try and aim for 40 goals. Not many midfielders have managed that in today's game. I think Dangerfield was the last to do so. Ablett before him.

I just had a look at these videos.

Only one came remotely close to showing a disputed ground-ball hit at speed.

I gave you far too much credit by suggesting you'd finally ''got it''.
You need to take off the rose coloured glasses then.

If you are going to cling to some distorted definition of 'acceleration at a disputed ground ball' you can go right ahead. Won't change the fact that Clarry has not shown in his career to date the ability to impact games as much as the true champions of the game like Fyfe, Judd, Dusty, Danger etc. He's a step below those players whilst remaining elite.

Clarry is an elite contested ball player but I don't see him ever finding a level that Bont and Trac already have where they can both kill a team at the contest and while forward... aside from the odd game such as the Adelaide game

You need to take off the rose coloured glasses then.

If you are going to cling to some distorted definition of 'acceleration at a disputed ground ball' you can go right ahead. Won't change the fact that Clarry has not shown in his career to date the ability to impact games as much as the true champions of the game like Fyfe, Judd, Dusty, Danger etc. He's a step below those players whilst remaining elite.

Clarry is an elite contested ball player but I don't see him ever finding a level that Bont and Trac already have where they can both kill a team at the contest and while forward... aside from the odd game such as the Adelaide game
Google non sequitur.

That said, Oliver at 24 is only just entering his prime years and I expect he's going to get better and kick more goals, like he did in the second half of the year. He absolutely can reach the heights of those others. It's fair to say I don't value your ability to assess footballers.

Btw, You can only hope your namesick reaches Oliver's current level. At the same age and same amount of games played Oliver had over 100 more disposals and countless more contested possessions and clearances. Oliver won his first B&F in a year where he played 3/4s of it as a teenager. It was just his second season. From day one he's been a centre square midfielder, which is rare in itself. But look, you've become pretty ignore worthy, so if you get no response...

Back