Training 2021/22 Preseason Thread Lessssf*ngo

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh come on mate. I wasn't having a go at you because you were questioning the media unit. I was making the observation that Nobes, Ziebell, and literally half of the playing squad have contracted covid this off season and getting their interrupted training schedule on track is surely the dominant priority. Particularly since there was already so much work to do getting the kids' fitness up to scratch before Omicron came along to throw a spanner in the works.

And personally, I just wanna give the club staff the benefit of the doubt too. Most working people I know have had to pull out all the stops over the past six months just to keep their heads above water, and I can't imagine why the people doing media work for footy clubs would be any different.

100% with you on future proofing the club. But when it comes to the importance of posting social media features to showcase our AFL team - right in the middle of the AFLW season - I think we should probably agree to disagree on how much that would help that future proofing.
Fair.

I know what an AFL preseason schedule is though. There is plenty of spare time to do something and it not have an impact on their day. Ultimately as i said at the start...that could be up to the players. If i was Ford or Zurhaar I'd be trying to put out a little content here and there. They are naturals and it's the sort of thing that opens doors commercially, media gigs and post football.

I get the whole "want to focus" stuff but it is no different it's no different to having a joke around during a goal kicking comp or rock paper scissors. Which are good to break up stress etc.

I wonder if there is training tomorrow.
Was going to go down and watch but it's a bit of a drive if it's not on.
Lazz just posted some photos from Sydney so I'm not sure if they've given the boys the weekends off or it's just old stuff.
Get with the times oldie. It’s called a photo dump.

This. It's not like Rob and Heath left the club in the dark and we were scrambling for replacements. It's poor. I get the AFLW content but as others have said...why not both.

Not sure why players haven't taken it upon themselves to produce their own content. We have characters like ford and zurhaar. Give them a mic and get them to interview their team mates. No different to what Jmac would do. Doesn't have to be grade A stuff. Everyone has a camera phone. They can look at Grima and see how an interview and a bit of personality can open doors.
Yep the player takeovers in the hub were good

This. It's not like Rob and Heath left the club in the dark and we were scrambling for replacements. It's poor. I get the AFLW content but as others have said...why not both.

Not sure why players haven't taken it upon themselves to produce their own content. We have characters like ford and zurhaar. Give them a mic and get them to interview their team mates. No different to what Jmac would do. Doesn't have to be grade A stuff. Everyone has a camera phone. They can look at Grima and see how an interview and a bit of personality can open doors.
Yep the player takeovers in the hub were good

I've been to a few training sessions this year and have some thoughts on different players. (Warning: I may stray away from "training report" into just my general opinion on players at different stages. Haha...)

Lazarro: Love this kid. Came back noticeably bigger in the shoulders. His body type reminds me a bit of Robbie Gray. Still not sure of his best position, but his contested ball-winning suggests he'll be fine wherever he lands. He's so quick when he gets free with ball in hand.

Phillips: The explosive burst he had in his first year of U18s seems to be returning. Watched him absolutely destroy himself doing fartleks around the boundary for about an hour in the Monday session. He's very clearly on a mission. Had a moment in a mini-match sim where he tore through the middle. We haven't even come close to seeing what he is capable of yet.

Mahony: Has trimmed the baby fat. Hopefully it helps. One that I really want to see prove the doubters wrong. People need to remember his strengths are contested ball and decision-making.

TT: Always smiling. He loves footy so much. Criticised for being laconic at times, but he seems to me to be a strategic runner. I'm keen to see what he can do forward this year now that we have some other focal points to take the tougher match ups. Will only get better as the team does around him.

Jy: I felt that he was a level above everyone else and not in a bad way. In fantasy circles the secret is already out with big predictions for him this year. There are worse ways to lose money than his $251 for the Brownlow on SB.

CCJ: Excellent in congestion. Deceptively quick with a hunger to tackle. His credentials as a forward have already been proven, so this was nice to see.

Xerri: He had moment on Monday where he started to look like a forward. The lighter frame is helping him get around the ground better and leap higher. I'm very excited to see if he can become the AFL player that he is in the VFL.

Who wins? I think Xerri will be Ruck/Foward and CCJ will be Forward/Ruck longer term after Goldy leaves, but it's a close thing. It'll be a fun battle.

JHF: He's a big boy already. The long hair is glorious when he's in full stride. Did a lot of laps with Jayden and CCJ. I could be wrong, but I suspect he's more on the Cunnington end of the spectrum when it comes to media. (I suspect he was hiding from my lense behind other players at times.) Can we please give him some time to settle in and just let him be who he is? One thing is for sure, when he smiles the whole world smiles with him.

Phoenix: Another that is bigger across the shoulders. Very active. Always wants to be involved. Would like to see him play 22 this year.

UDL: Big year coming up. Feels like he's still always trying to break free from a tackle. Seems very hard on himself. Match sim on Friday will tell us a bit more.

Greenwood: It's extraordinary how well he seems to have meshed with the team. Always happy (like TT, Jayden and Goldy). With the possible absences of Cunnington and Jed, his arrival is a gift. He'll provide great leadership for us this year. (I say this as someone who was initially a bit annoyed when we snaffled him.)

Perez: A pleasure to watch. Very smooth mover. Can't wait to see him get a solid run at it.

Harvey: Caught they eye a few times. The camera loves him. Good size given his age. Tough. Didn't look out of place at any stage. Not sure where he will fit in when we draft him. Great tan.

Goater: Good speed. Great size.

Bergman: Needs two years in the gym.

Kyron: Sculpted from granite. Deep, deep tan. Loves the contest. The query is whether he'll be able to carry (what is now quite) a hefty frame from contest to contest. Not someone I want tackling me in this life or the next.

Zurhaar: Lean.

Overall vibe: Very positive every time I've been down. Their seems to be a genuine connectedness across the playing group. I've loved soaking it up following the negativity in the world over the last two years. If you can get down there, I highly recommend it.

Keep it positive Team. I've never been this excited about a season in my life. Before you know it the praccie matches will be here. I can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I've been to a few training sessions this year and have some thoughts on different players. (Warning: I may stray away from "training report" into just my general opinion on players at different stages. Haha...)

Lazarro: Love this kid. Came back noticeably bigger in the shoulders. His body type reminds me a bit of Robbie Gray. Still not sure of his best position, but his contested ball-winning suggests he'll be fine wherever he lands. He's so quick when he gets free with ball in hand.

Phillips: The explosive burst he had in his first year of U18s seems to be returning. Watched him absolutely destroy himself doing fartleks around the boundary for about an hour in the Monday session. He's very clearly on a mission. Had a moment in a mini-match sim where he tore through the middle. We haven't even come close to seeing what he is capable of yet.

Mahony: Has trimmed the baby fat. Hopefully it helps. One that I really want to see prove the doubters wrong. People need to remember his strengths are contested ball and decision-making.

TT: Always smiling. He loves footy so much. Criticised for being laconic at times, but he seems to me to be a strategic runner. I'm keen to see what he can do forward this year now that we have some other focal points to take the tougher match ups. Will only get better as the team does around him.

Jy: I felt that he was a level above everyone else and not in a bad way. In fantasy circles the secret is already out with big predictions for him this year. There are worse ways to lose money than his $251 for the Brownlow on SB.

CCJ: Excellent in congestion. Deceptively quick with a hunger to tackle. His credentials as a forward have already been proven, so this was nice to see.

Xerri: He had moment on Monday where he started to look like a forward. The lighter frame is helping him get around the ground better and leap higher. I'm very excited to see if he can become the AFL player that he is in the VFL.

Who wins? I think Xerri will be Ruck/Foward and CCJ will be Forward/Ruck longer term after Goldy leaves, but it's a close thing. It'll be a fun battle.

JHF: He's a big boy already. The long hair is glorious when he's in full stride. Did a lot of laps with Jayden and CCJ. I could be wrong, but I suspect he's more on the Cunnington end of the spectrum when it comes to media. (I suspect he was hiding from my lense behind other players at times.) Can we please give him some time to settle in and just let him be who he is? One thing is for sure, when he smiles the whole world smiles with him.

Phoenix: Another that is bigger across the shoulders. Very active. Always wants to be involved. Would like to see him play 22 this year.

UDL: Big year coming up. Feels like he's still always trying to break free from a tackle. Seems very hard on himself. Match sim on Friday will tell us a bit more.

Greenwood: It's extraordinary how well he seems to have meshed with the team. Always happy (like TT, Jayden and Goldy). With the possible absences of Cunnington and Jed, his arrival is a gift. He'll provide great leadership for us this year. (I say this as someone who was initially a bit annoyed when we snaffled him.)

Perez: A pleasure to watch. Very smooth mover. Can't wait to see him get a solid run at it.

Harvey: Caught they eye a few times. The camera loves him. Good size given his age. Tough. Didn't look out of place at any stage. Not sure where he will fit in when we draft him. Great tan.

Kyron: Sculpted from granite. Deep, deep tan. Loves the contest. The query is whether he'll be able to carry (what is now quite) a hefty frame from contest to contest. Not someone I want tackling me in this life or the next.

Overall vibe: Very positive every time I've been down. Their seems to be a genuine connectedness across the playing group. I've loved soaking it up following the negativity in the world over the last two years. If you can get down there, I highly recommend it.

Keep it positive Team. I've never been this excited about a season in my life. Before you know it the praccie matches will be here. I can't wait.

Nice wrap up Lizard 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the tan updates

Lol so in other words you don’t know the answer to the question
Neither do you, but im not the one pissing and moaning all the time over the lack of media in a pandemic in january. Im hypothesizing as to why there might be issues, being an adult im happy ti cut the club some slack rather than carry on like a pork chop over the lack of instagram posts.

Neither do you, but im not the one pissing and moaning all the time over the lack of media in a pandemic in january. Im hypothesizing as to why there might be issues, being an adult im happy ti cut the club some slack rather than carry on like a pork chop over the lack of instagram posts.
Again you only need to refer to last january in the same conditions as now really but way more content/interviews etc

A victim of their own prior standards but a noticeable dip in a similar environment 12 months later

Remove this Banner Ad

Back