Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If McGowan is doing anything at all to prepare it is close to the country's best kept secret.
Given most other states are now peaking for hospitalisation with mainly omicron & there are differences in restrictions... it would not be difficult to model different scenarios for reopening.

WA are now better placed than all other jurisdictions to deal with reopening... yet he is pushing back to peak winter season beds... which is utter madness, when reopening is about coping with the increased hospitalisations.

I would be annoyed if I were a WA resident.

Other jurisdictions have at least reopened as promised, even if it has meant increasing some restrictions to slow the spread.

Can't live in a bubble forever...

If McGowan is doing anything at all to prepare it is close to the country's best kept secret.

This is where the insidiousness of the country’s “zero covid” strategy of the last two years rears its ugly head. McClown has something to lose now — the lowest death rate of any state in the country.

He is defending what he believe will be his political legacy. It doesn’t matter to him who he screws (which is everyone).

He’s like the cricketer desperately trying to remain not out to preserve his average, and to hell with the team or its objectives.

States who have accepted they’re going to have community transmission and deaths have been able to, in some small way, progress beyond the political insidiousness of the whole lockdown charade.

Still the truth though, he’s advertising for nurses? FMD.

Yeah, but there will still be a portion of people out there that are happy with the state of play at the moment in WA.

I was at my GP's office earlier in the week and he was telling me about how he's angry at the state government for opening SA's borders and that's a GP so it's safe to assume that there's still a lot of zero covid people out there.

Yeah, but there will still be a portion of people out there that are happy with the state of play at the moment in WA.

I was at my GP's office earlier in the week and he was telling me about how he's angry at the state government for opening SA's borders and that's a GP so it's safe to assume that there's still a lot of zero covid people out there.
Most of the guys I work with in WA are proud of their zero Covid status, so there's plenty of love for the situation.

You do know that science changes as more data comes in, right? 😳
None of which changes what the Pfizer CEO said earlier, he went the early crow and got it very wrong. It's all about the $$$$'s and their shareholders with big pharma, you do get that, right? :oops:

Most of the guys I work with in WA are proud of their zero Covid status, so there's plenty of love for the situation.
Also too opening up and living with the virus like certain people on here have been pushing for hasn't been the panacea either.

Shopping centres are like ghost towns, I was at Burnside last night and there would have only been 50 people there.

People are essentially insolating themselves with or without lockdowns. The only difference is that after a lock down people then feel somewhat safe about leaving their house rather than the current situation where the fear of getting COVID remains a permanent thing.

They're seeing that it's still an economic train wreck living with the virus so that's most probably not helping either.

Also too opening up and living with the virus like certain people on here have been pushing for hasn't been the panacea either.

Shopping centres are like ghost towns, I was at Burnside last night and there would have only been 50 people there.

People are essentially insolating themselves with or without lockdowns. The only difference is that after a lock down people then feel somewhat safe about leaving their house rather than the current situation where the fear of getting COVID remains a permanent thing.
People still think they are going to get pinged for being a close contact but we haven’t updated exposure sites for ages.

There’s no point in hiding and not living as eventually you’ll get it, it’s inevitable.

They're seeing that it's still an economic train wreck living with the virus so that's most probably not helping either.

Are people really afraid to leave their house…..

Who are these people?

It depends what the actual public think though, that's they key.

A right wing media outlet being critical of a Labor politician isn't really a watershed moment.
I was gonna post the same thing.. sky news/murdoch hard right morons attack Labor Premier doesnt exactly equal “its turning”!

Id put my money on the majority of Western Australian people and businesses, that wouldve been watching the rest of the Australian states and territories for the last month or so, would be thinking..

“no thanks to that happening over here please.. lets make sure we are fully vaxxed and boosted, our health system ready as it can be and we have a very large supply of RATs before we put our people, businesses and economy through that crap”!

Learn from the other states mistakes and successes and soften the blow as much as possible..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not "proper hygiene" that's the issue here, it's the OTT paranoid mindset that it has introduced into (some) people.

The sort of thing that has people going off at others for not wearing a mask, or not wearing it properly. (For the record, I wear a mask as recommended / required, and if someone else is not doing that, I roll my eyes but I don't go Karen on them, I'm not going to die because they walked past me.)

The sort of thing that has people genuinely afraid - not just cautious, afraid - to come into close contact - let alone touch! - other people.

And in particular the sort of thing that has chidren, in their formative years, being conditioned to think that school is dangerous, that other people are dangerous, that wearing a mask everywhere is normal.

Not to spark another round of politics, but it comes back to good old Johnny Howard's saying about terrorism - be alert, but not alarmed. :)
No I just meant people washing their hands regularly

And even a lot of blokes even washing them after going to the toilet.

So I gather they were afraid to leave their house during the flu outbreak of 2019.

News to me.
Well it's not really surprising it's news to you.

You asked a question, which I answered.

These families are in the minority, but they do exist.

We needed to open back up again, but let's not pretend there are not some families legitimately fearful (as opposed to other who live in fear but for no real good reason as their risk is low).

Using the phrase “vulnerable kids” in relation to COVID is a sure sign you have been propagandized beyond all belief.
I suggest you acquaint yourself with the Womens & Childrens Hospital - say the cancer ward... to start living outside your utopian bubble.

It was the right thing to open up, but to claim there are no vulnerable kids is BS.

No I just meant people washing their hands regularly

And even a lot of blokes even washing them after going to the toilet.
Oh, for sure, no issue there. I'm talking about the "masks are here forever, wash / sanitise your hands every hour, this is the new normal, it's perfectly sane and not at all over the top" sort of stuff.

Parents with kids living with significant comorbidities or immunosuppressed.
Not even just that.

More common are people who don't want to iso for 7 days if deemed a close contact.

Going on a wine tour tomorrow. Arranged it after BBQ and Beerfest got cancelled.

Mate told us he can't come as an opposition player in his social basketball game Wed night tested positive. Rec Centre won't say who it was, ie if it is a guy he matched up against fair enough. But if not, no physical contact, 7 days iso is extreme given he is triple vaxxed.

Broad based iso rules are keeping people home.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well it's not really surprising it's news to you.

You asked a question, which I answered.

These families are in the minority, but they do exist.

We needed to open back up again, but let's not pretend there are not some families legitimately fearful (as opposed to other who live in fear but for no real good reason as their risk is low).

They might be fearful but it doesn’t mean we have to rationalize their delusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back