Training 2022 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Windhager at 151 to win the rising star
hKiwjnv.gif

Awesome stuff guys, very much appreciated.

Really excited about Windy’s prospects. Need to remember that he was coming off an ACL last season, and then did what sounds like a lot of his best work behind closed doors in school footy (plus had 25 disposals in a game of some sort for Vic Metro), so it’s highly unlikely that he was A: at his best all year, or that B: many people saw much of it, if he was.

Every chance we got 3 future AFL players for a mid first rounder and some chump change.

LOL.
Who’d realise that this morning’s crowd of 5 would consist of 4 BF posters plus 1 stray?

I had a gap in my schedule so I spent an hour at TBBO this morning but left before the match sim.
The hour was split into three:
20 minutes warm ups,
20 minutes backs v forwards, and mids by themselves,
20 minutes practicing in 2 lots of 20 (odd).

The backs v forwards consisted of two groups practicing movement into, and defence of, a high ball into the F50. The two groups rotated, one set waiting on the goal line, the other practicing.

Mids were at the other end of the ground, practicing ball movement. Notable inclusions in this group were Clark and Owen.

The last 20 minutes involved each group of 20 (odd) split up with the intent to work the ball from one end of a defined area to the other, handball only, tackling encouraged. Ball possession was penalised with the new rules.

As with any first look of a new season, my eyes were primarily focused on differences. So the following are impressions only.

Crouch is seriously cut.
Gresham is in excellent condition.
Clark must be a Goth given his pasty complexion. Anyone waiting for him to bulk up is wasting their time: his body shape has not altered in his five years so what you see now is what you are going to get.
Byrnes stood out. Very busy.
Sharman showed some serious good moves, particularly in traffic.
Allison stood him a couple of times and beat him, and Allison is getting a great shape for himself.
Owens was not so much a stand out. Quite tall.
Windhager will be good. gringo2011 better claim him now before someone gets in before you. He kicked a very nice joe the goose.
Kyle has that wonderful, classical Indigenous body shape.
Gilbert McAdam like.
He wasn’t getting a lot of the ball, but not for lack of leading
NWM didn’t train and Peris only ran laps.
If Peris is still with us in a couple of years, that kid is going to grow into the perfect body shape. He’s a kid now but boy, you can see that he’s got great genes.

But, Ephemeral Hope , the one that I want to talk about is Heath.

He is the tallest on the list. By some margin.
He is not a lumbering giant, showed some speed and agility.
So he’s not a Billy Longer.
Tall, but not well built yet.
He has a good frame that will be great after a couple of seasons.
However what struck my eye was his dexterity in that last drill.
He’d get the ball, either avoid or take the tackle, but keep his hands clear for the handball.
No idea if he is ready for AFL at this stage, I would want to see more of him.
Particularly his spring.
But at least he has a sense of the game.
Which is what you’re looking for in a development ruck.

If you have any questions about particular players, I will endeavour to respond. But some of them, I just didn’t notice. Not for lack of interest, more because I was focusing on other things.

PS: Jack Hayes should get a gig. Not particularly quick but a Jason Blake style utility.
Thanks for the update. Feels like Christmas getting all this info. Dexterity and Game sense being present in Heath’s game is promising. Seconds should be fantastic to watch.

The player I want to know about most is Jack Bytel. We’ve all been talking about this finally being his year to step up and demand a best 22 spot, what’s his training look like?

Thanks for the update. Feels like Christmas getting all this info. Dexterity and Game sense being present in Heath’s game is promising. Seconds should be fantastic to watch.

The player I want to know about most is Jack Bytel. We’ve all been talking about this finally being his year to step up and demand a best 22 spot, what’s his training look like?
Not getting a lot of love, possibly because people already have an expectation about him. In the exercise where Heath impressed me, Bytel’s hand skills were sublime. He may be one to get benefit from the tackling rule change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not getting a lot of love, possibly because people already have an expectation about him. In the exercise where Heath impressed me, Bytel’s hand skills were sublime. He may be one to get benefit from the tackling rule change.
Him and Steele love a tackle so I hope their impact goes from a couple holding the balls and lots of stoppages to just 4-5 free kicks a game

Well I'm off to Turkey in early October. What could go wrong?

I'm so jealous. I ran into an old mate today, he has just come back from Berlin and Prague via Singapore. He was meant to go off to Vietnam for a month and they wouldn't let him board in Singapore so he came home. He said Europe seemed pretty normal, hopefully you'll get Turkey with less tourists, that would be ideal.

Well I'm off to Turkey in early October. What could go wrong?
Well considering I’m not getting into WA anytime soon 🙄 I’m off to the USA mid-April. (Holding thumbs)

Are you to going to Cappadocia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back