Grand Slam Australia Open - Day 5

What match are you most looking forward to?

• Alcaraz-Berrettini

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Barty-Giorgi

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Nadal-Khachanov

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Osaka-Anisimova

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Based on what? Last time Nadal beat Zverev on a hard court was 2017 and Zverev has improved tremendously since then.

In my opinion, Zverev will smack Nadal and may cause some trouble for Medvedev.

Based on the fact Zverev doesn’t win big games, Nadal in 3 or 4.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
I find this take a bit of a cop out.

It's like when people say 'wealthy people don't struggle with mental health issues because trhey are 'rich'.

Not at all.

She didn’t want the attention at the tennis and dodges pressers.

But is quite the attention seeker when she can play dress-ups for cash. Loves the attention then, doesn’t she?

100% hypocrite.

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
I find this take a bit of a cop out.

It's like when people say 'wealthy people don't struggle with mental health issues because trhey are 'rich'.
Common folk don’t like rich celebs because when things are going good for them they tell the middle class to give their spare coin to their cause of the week but then this is off topic.

Go Barty and De Minaur!

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
All the experts say what a fantastic player Ash is - strokes, slice, serve, strategy. But folks on the interweb say she is boring and isn't a real #1 yawn
It's so especially strange to me because there have been so many temporary #1s who weren't really the best player in the women's game over the past decade or two. Barty is far superior to all of them. To pick Barty as not being worthy is a head scratcher.

I completely had Barty wrong as a young player - I thought her recovery would always limit her as a player and didn't see anything like this coming. But in every way, shape, and form now - she's a phenomenal player and a very, very, very worthy world #1.

Barty wins this tournament. There isn’t another player who can go with her.
Watched Azarenka today

Is fit as fk

Hitting and moving amazingly

Watch this space

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Not at all.

She didn’t want the attention at the tennis and dodges pressers.

But is quite the attention seeker when she can play dress-ups for cash. Loves the attention then, doesn’t she?

100% hypocrite.

But she's back doing press conferences now and generally speaks pretty well....

Is it really worth crucifying her for some issues she was having in the past?

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Watched Azarenka today

Is fit as fk

Hitting and moving amazingly

Watch this space

Fair enough.

I’ll stick with my call though. She’s the rightful number one in the world in the form of her life.

Whoever beats her will win it.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Anisimova could beneit from losing a kilo or five too

Funnily enough the wife said that too. Puppy fat though i think. She sure can play though and Ash will have to work a lot harder than these first 3 rounds. She is looking ominous though and its going to take a massive effort from anyone to beat her. Never raised a sweat tonight and almost toyed with Giorgi.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
But she's back doing press conferences now and generally speaks pretty well....

Is it really worth crucifying her for some issues she was having in the past?

I dunno mate, there is something about her that rubs me the wrong way.

I see she is inconsolable in the changerooms now. This sort of stuff does my nut. She lost a tennis match, she needs to get over herself.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
I dunno mate, there is something about her that rubs me the wrong way.

I see she is inconsolable in the changerooms now. This sort of stuff does my nut. She lost a tennis match, she needs to get over herself.

Fair enough, theres obviously issues behind the scenes and thats been clear for some time. Have to remember these people are not robots, they are people.

But I'm not going to say who you should or shouldn't like.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Funnily enough the wife said that too. Puppy fat though i think. She sure can play though and Ash will have to work a lot harder than these first 3 rounds. She is looking ominous though and its going to take a massive effort from anyone to beat her. Never raised a sweat tonight and almost toyed with Giorgi.

Anisimova's Dad died after she made the semi at the French and she stacked the weight on. She is actually pretty fit compared to the last couple of years.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
It's so especially strange to me because there have been so many temporary #1s who weren't really the best player in the women's game over the past decade or two. Barty is far superior to all of them. To pick Barty as not being worthy is a head scratcher.

I completely had Barty wrong as a young player - I thought her recovery would always limit her as a player and didn't see anything like this coming. But in every way, shape, and form now - she's a phenomenal player and a very, very, very worthy world #1.
She had a lot of doubters in early 2021, because she missed the entire season and didn't defend her French Open. And I was one of them. And rightly so, Osaka just won the US and Aus in dominant fashion playing top-quality tennis.

She shut most of us up when she won Miami, Stuttgart, final in Madrid and the cherry was Wimbledon. Not many question her now number 1 status now.

People still question her ability to completely drift out of matches. See Muchova last year here as the prime example. That loss came from nowhere and happened so suddenly. Other examples were Riske in 2019 at Wimbledon, Anisimova at the French Semi(she was down a break in the last, after being 5-0 in the first IIRC).

Back