Where will Fremantle and West Coast play most of their home games this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tassie already has two teams from interstate trying to siphon off their money (Hawthorn and North Melbourne), not sure they have the capacity for two more.
I know you guys haven't had it for a few years, but it's called tourism.

1 to Tassie, 1 to Regional Vic mainly Mars Stadium in Ballarat.

they'd have to play mostly away games the first half of the season you'd think.

regardless, i'd be putting a bit on the spoon for West Coast in particular.

Why would WA want to follow the east coast today ? I understand some people want certainty in an uncertain time & jumping for any placebo ...

Do you know what is going to happen next week - when was 'freedom day' acclaimed by any number of people who could see the future. Missed the rush of explanations of their premature evaluation, as yet another placebo attracts their attention.

As for tanks, ;) , the iron ore & LNG dollars are still kicking in to Australias balance of trade numbers & the WA grain crop dollars are around record $s. There is nothing to worry the latte sippers, the avo prices arent going to worry 'the hip pocket nerve'.
We have effective vaxes and effective treatments.

East coast is doing fine.

I understood the need for lockdown before we had the Vax and treatment.

But those days have gone.

Have some faith in technology. It's working.

Deaths are increasing.

From almost zero yes

As a % of cases close to zero.

Sure. 88 on Thursday. Numbers will deteriorate.

Oz has done well relative to most. It would be nice if we keep it that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From almost zero yes

As a % of cases close to zero.

Sure. 88 on Thursday. Numbers will deteriorate.

Oz has done well relative to most. It would be nice if we keep it that way.

Check out this from Aunty: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01...el-andrews-health-system-code-brown/100772446

Decisions were made pre Xmas in Sydney & Melbourne, the die is cast.

WA has had the chance to observe those results & made its own decision.

.. given that McGowan has abandoned any plans to open the border anytime soon. I havent heard of any contingency plans by the AFL.

Round 1 could be a derby in WA, also the round after the bye could be in WA (if they are allowed back)

Or too early to start thinking ahead?
Obvious answer seems to be Canberra for one and Tassie for the other with no games in Perth until quarantine free travel is allowed.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would WA want to follow the east coast today ? I understand some people want certainty in an uncertain time & jumping for any placebo ...

Do you know what is going to happen next week - when was 'freedom day' acclaimed by any number of people who could see the future. Missed the rush of explanations of their premature evaluation, as yet another placebo attracts their attention.

As for tanks, ;) , the iron ore & LNG dollars are still kicking in to Australias balance of trade numbers & the WA grain crop dollars are around record $s. There is nothing to worry the latte sippers, the avo prices arent going to worry 'the hip pocket nerve'.
What a *******. Don’t worry about family that haven’t seen each in years . ******* loser.

So Hawks's consistent trips to Launceston are tourism and not a cash grab?
That’s called sponsorship, but the thousands of Hawks supporters descending on Launceston and Tasmania every time they play there, spending the weekend sight seeing and eating out is called tourism.

El Presidente Mark isn't thinking ahead, only the loony isolationists like him.

No Cricket.
No Footy.
No Tourists.

We should just send the tanks in.
The West should be have a new border anyway, give the "El Presidente" everything south of Perth to Albany. Australia should take over the rest and call it something else?. He has gone insane! As for Sport? It's time to cut them off altogether for this season at least, give the option to players who wish to go and lease themselves out for a year for 7 months. The AFL season in Perth is in serious jeopardy and the rumblings at AFL headquarters are mounting. This bloke is completely off his trolley now.

The West should be have a new border anyway, give the "El Presidente" everything south of Perth to Albany. Australia should take over the rest and call it something else?. He has gone insane! As for Sport? It's time to cut them off altogether for this season at least, give the option to players who wish to go and lease themselves out for a year for 7 months. The AFL season in Perth is in serious jeopardy and the rumblings at AFL headquarters are mounting. This bloke is completely off his trolley now.

I arrived in Perth from London in August last year and Perth is actually in a pretty bad place compared to when I lived here 20 years ago. The city centre is full of unemployed people with substance abuse issues and many shops are boarded up. None of the new retail developments are going well as people also work from home.

Having grown up in Perth and then going to London allows you to have an outside view whilst understanding the state. You need to understand that West Australians are very susceptible to isolationist thinking.

They feel they are a cash cow for the east and often victim to federal decisions made from an east coast viewpoint. To be fair they often are- examples are GST allocation in politics and Victorian centric AFL (MCG GF deal and fixtures) in sport.

However, this also makes them susceptible to a “nationalist” leader who uses this as their main approach- McGowan.

McGowan is the most powerful WA premier ever due to the Liberal Party collapse following factional infighting and a terrible Liberal Premier in Colin Barnett.

McGowan realises that if he authorises reopening that the public health system will fail due to under investment from his government.

Most people can see he has had 2 years grace no other place has had and the opportunity to reinforce the health system. He has built hospitals but the irony is that his closed border has made him unable to recruit new health care staff to run them.

Many of Perth’s overseas health care workers have gone home as they can’t see their family overseas. I heard one UK health worker say “I’m not looking after your parents if I can’t see mine!”

Older health care workers are retiring as they buckle under the stress.

McGowan knows the best way to open is if the federal government force him and he can blame any health system failures on the federal government.

In addition, WA recognised post the last resource boom that it had to wean itself off being solely reliant on resources. McGowan’s isolationist policies are ruining any chance of diversification as tourism is destroyed, skills shortages can’t be filled and businesses can’t trade smoothly with the rest of Australia.

Border closures were a good idea at one point but it is time to open now. McGowan needs to de-prioritise his own political needs to maintain border closures and do what is best for WA and Australia and open.

I say this as someone who was locked down for 8 months in London in 2020. I wish the UK had closed borders better pre vaccines. But post vaccines the UK has handled things better and all restrictions are meant to be gone in March!

There are many individuals with family overseas in Perth and they deserve better. There are many businesses that need skilled labour to rebuild and they deserve better.

Post the pandemic I hope West Australians become less isolationist and that the east (NSW especially) understands that WA isn’t a cash cow for their own poor governments.

I also hope the AFL become a truly national league for all Australians with the structural inequalities removed. This could be via less teams and home and away fixtures or more interstate teams meaning each team plays once. Victorian teams travel more and the GF is rotated.

We need to work to make sure everyone gets an equitable chance in politics, business and sport.

That means WA is less isolationist and the east is less entitled (eg NSW in politics and Victoria in sport).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back