Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Never would have picked it was Pedlar .....I know images can distort, depending on angles & field of depth .....however it looks like Pedlar has grown, and he's a very solid boy

View attachment 1314560
My initial reaction, when reading people fumble around and misidentify our players in photos, is to think that face blindness is more common than I anticipated... Then I remember that not everyone has watched the highlights and interviews of our shiny new toys as obsessively (or tragically) as I have.

I'm ashamed at how confidently I can confirm that the picture is of Nankervis.

I don't think it's Hamill. Re-watching last year's games, he is very rough by foot. Looks good but misses the target.
Kicking was his no.1 wood right through his Dandenong Stingers journey so I think the concussions might have fed into that with him being too hasty to put the ball to foot for fear of being cleaned up again.

STRENGTHS

• Skills
  • Clean Hands
  • Versatility
  • Acceleration
  • Agility
  • Endurance
Hamill is silky by hand and his trusty left boot can cut teams apart. His kicking especially with short passes are usually penetrating and find the target more often than not, he favours the short option a lot of the time which would help his efficiency numbers. By hand he is incredibly clean and it is very rare that he will miss a target by hand, and very rarely fumbles the ball. His strong hands are also valuable in marking contests where he is also a good judge overhead and willing to go back with the flight. He has taken many courageous marks above his head including some playing for Vic Country.

Hamill mostly plays down back but he can go forward and even through the midfield. As a forward he uses his decent leap to prove a difficult matchup overhead and his clean ball handling also makes him dangerous when the ball hits the deck. He is also a willing tackler not afraid to put his body on the line so he could easily fill a forward role if needed. As a midfielder he lacks the size to be an effective contested player but when he is able to win his own contested ball he will often use good composure and his clean hands to release the footy. Hamill has electric speed and a good leap which would lend him well to playing at either end of the ground. He showed off his acceleration at the National Draft Combine, recording 2.914-second 20m sprint, a 8.222-second agility test and a 21.4 Yo-yo test. The latter showed the athletic play maker also has a large tank which helps him run out games and play in multiple positions where required.

Kicking was his no.1 wood right through his Dandenong Stingers journey so I think the concussions might have fed into that with him being too hasty to put the ball to foot for fear of being cleaned up again.

STRENGTHS

• Skills
  • Clean Hands
  • Versatility
  • Acceleration
  • Agility
  • Endurance
Hamill is silky by hand and his trusty left boot can cut teams apart. His kicking especially with short passes are usually penetrating and find the target more often than not, he favours the short option a lot of the time which would help his efficiency numbers. By hand he is incredibly clean and it is very rare that he will miss a target by hand, and very rarely fumbles the ball. His strong hands are also valuable in marking contests where he is also a good judge overhead and willing to go back with the flight. He has taken many courageous marks above his head including some playing for Vic Country.

Hamill mostly plays down back but he can go forward and even through the midfield. As a forward he uses his decent leap to prove a difficult matchup overhead and his clean ball handling also makes him dangerous when the ball hits the deck. He is also a willing tackler not afraid to put his body on the line so he could easily fill a forward role if needed. As a midfielder he lacks the size to be an effective contested player but when he is able to win his own contested ball he will often use good composure and his clean hands to release the footy. Hamill has electric speed and a good leap which would lend him well to playing at either end of the ground. He showed off his acceleration at the National Draft Combine, recording 2.914-second 20m sprint, a 8.222-second agility test and a 21.4 Yo-yo test. The latter showed the athletic play maker also has a large tank which helps him run out games and play in multiple positions where required.
I remember in one of his early games he got the ball at half back and rushed through some traffic and lasered a low 40 metre kick to a leading forward at the centre square. Was very D-Mac like except he had the skill to pick a target out, rather than the long high bomb.

That was before all the head knocks though, as you say I think that has played a part in that. Certainly hasn't seemed as aggressive as he did in that play since then.

Go watch Hamill again. He has kicks that are free of all pressure, and he still slightly overcooks them and misses the mark.

I think people are confused by how good his kicking action looks, as compares to the actual results.

Go watch Hamill again. He has kicks that are free of all pressure, and he still slightly overcooks them and misses the mark.

I think people are confused by how good his kicking action looks, as compares to the actual results.
CONFIDENCE

He's essentially a very good kick lacking confidence which is understandable given how frequently he's been concussed in a short space of time.

Yeah he needs to work on his kicking. It's not even up for debate afaic.

His kicking is untidy

We should be able to smooth off the corners and tighten it up with good development but I haven't seen much progress to be honest. I really like the rest of his game.

I think left footers are like left handed batsmen, often described as stylish by default.

I'm prepared to be wrong but I'd be surprised if his draft year footage shows it differently

His kicking is untidy

We should be able to smooth off the corners and tighten it up with good development but I haven't seen much progress to be honest. I really like the rest of his game.

I think left footers are like left handed batsmen, often described as stylish by default.

I'm prepared to be wrong but I'd be surprised if his draft year footage shows it differently
You're 100% wrong on that score...

His kicking is untidy

I can't agree on the batsmen: I reckon left handers look cramped and awkward, by default.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looked to me like Hamil had shelved the dinky little kicks and was going for longer, more damaging kicks.

He hadn't quite nailed it last year, but a bit more practice (and time at the level) should improve it.

Gee Fogs and Butts are BIG units .....Hinge a great physique for 190cm ....Rowe still too big

Who's that top left of the photo?

FJqIWm9akAAATht
Who's that between Jones and Cook? Looks like Ronin Oconnor.

Who allows white / light socks at training?

Gee Fogs and Butts are BIG units .....Hinge a great physique for 190cm ....Rowe still too big

FJqIWm9akAAATht
You reckon Rowe is too big but Fog has a great physique ??

If anything Fog still looks too big.

Jordy though, monster of a bloke.

FJqIWm9akAAATht
Looking at it more carefully, I reckon there's a bit of distortion from the use of a wideangle lens making the people on the outer edge look bigger than they are. It helps Nank and Taylor and Hinge, but makes Fog look enormous.

Looking at it more carefully, I reckon there's a bit of distortion from the use of a wideangle lens making the people on the outer edge look bigger than they are. It helps Nank and Taylor and Hinge, but makes Fog look enormous.
The ground appears to fall away on the left side of the image too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back