Discussion Jumper design ideas for teams 19 and 20 (Tas & Canberra?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I was thinking it might be good to foreshadow teams 19 and 20 coming into the competition and what sort of colours and jumpers design they will use.

If you look at the remaining options to differentiate from other clubs the obvious choices of colours that have been under utilised include:
  • Green (many shades possible)
  • Light blue
  • Orange
  • Purple
  • Silver/grey

My personal opinion is that jumpers that use a bright standout colour look good because they stand out from the opposition and it also looks good when you look into the crowd to see bays of that supporter colour which stands out. I think the two teams that stand out the most in the crowd are Sydney and North Melbourne. That's why my first option for the Tasmania team would be simply green and white, a nice bright green would look clean and somewhat traditional.

Here is a design idea I crafted up a while back. Excuse the ordinary looking logo as the app I used had it's limitations.
Tasmania:

received_543062462941415.jpeg

The second option is for a Canberra team and I was thinking maybe neon green, blue and yellow would be slightly different to any other team in the competition, but also reflective of Australia's national colours which ties into Canberra and it's identity. So a predominately green top, yellow numbers and blue shorts. An example you can see here but i'd change the tones of these colours to make it a bit more modern.

Canberra
Screenshot_20220121-130716_Chrome.jpg

My personal preference is the neon green, navy blue and silver similar to that of the Seattle Seahawks.

Other options for Canberra could be a:
  • A dark blue, light blue and orange combination
  • Neon yellow/Green with either navy blue or charcoal as the dark colour to go with it (similar to sydney thunder in the bbl).

Interested to hear others thoughts.

Last edited:
I think the AFL has little to no interest in Canberra in the league due to the population and theoretically GWS "has" this market, but a Tas team seems to be on the cards. Is it likely they'll just do the state team/colours? Or will they go the Jackjumper route and pull something completely out of nowhere..

I think the AFL has little to no interest in Canberra in the league due to the population and theoretically GWS "has" this market, but a Tas team seems to be on the cards. Is it likely they'll just do the state team/colours? Or will they go the Jackjumper route and pull something completely out of nowhere..
Not sure the jackjumpers are that different to the states colours, very much a green base whi j is very tassie. But yeah I agree, the real options for 19 and 20 (if we get there) are tassie and the nt.

Not sure the jackjumpers are that different to the states colours, very much a green base whi j is very tassie. But yeah I agree, the real options for 19 and 20 (if we get there) are tassie and the nt.
I mean more the odd choice of mascot, and they didn't go the whole hog and choose the red, green and yellow, but instead just opted for two of them

no way the nt will get a team soon
newcastle, north queensland or a 3rd perth team are more likely

Yeah zero chance of an NT team, I'm starting to think the most likely is:
Nth Queensland
Canberra
Perth

no way the nt will get a team soon
newcastle, north queensland or a 3rd perth team are more likely
From what has been said. Tassie is Def the next up and then a team that encompasses the nt, which may include North Queensland (probably a good idea if it does). I'm not sure if 20 teams is a great idea for the afl, but those two markets are pretty much the only ones left.

Newcastle don't have the stadia or enough of a fan base. I think Canberra is happily going along with gws and it gives the side that additional level of support that gws really needs. I'm not sure about adding a third team in wa, it is probably the market that could support it, but I think that may work if you were starting a league from scratch.

If we were to have additional teams (promotion and relegation maybe?)
Tas
Nt/nq (maybe the top of Australia?)
Third team in Perth maybe
Newcastle
Canberra

Going on the pro/rel idea, expand to 22-26 teams, spread Melbourne teams further across the city (suburban stadiums). Add a couple of teams in wa and SA, along with tassie and nt (see what happens with newcastle/act). Would be interesting.

Going on the pro/rel idea, expand to 22-26 teams, spread Melbourne teams further across the city (suburban stadiums). Add a couple of teams in wa and SA, along with tassie and nt (see what happens with newcastle/act). Would be interesting.
There would have to be significant interest in the areas I think for AFL to take off in those areas.

I could see a third Adelaide team promoted from SANFL (i.e. Norwood or Glenelg) so that you keep an existing supporter base.

WA I'm not sure what WAFL teams you would potentially look at promoting, maybe Subiaco but you would have to rebrand which I don't think their fans would love.

Vic teams I think the AFL won't even consider as there are too many teams in a small area already.

Queensland I could see them potentially look at a Sunshine Coast or even Cairns as a regional team just for the growth of the areas (and to get in before the Dolphins get a foothold), but they would have less supporters than Gold Coast on average. A second Brisbane team may work such as Wilston Grange Gorillas (my old club as a junior). Brisbane has issues though with not having anywhere near as many suburban AFL grounds, so their home would also likely be the Gabba. This wouldn't necessarily be an issue as the Lions are moving their training to a purpose built facility at Springfield. The AFL would also now have an opportunity to capitalise in the Ipswich area due to the Jets bid being rejected in the NRL, even then I don't know if the Lions would be too happy given that their new home base.

NT seems like the only other obvious pick, but not sure on the supporter base volume as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There would have to be significant interest in the areas I think for AFL to take off in those areas.

I could see a third Adelaide team promoted from SANFL (i.e. Norwood or Glenelg) so that you keep an existing supporter base.

WA I'm not sure what WAFL teams you would potentially look at promoting, maybe Subiaco but you would have to rebrand which I don't think their fans would love.

Vic teams I think the AFL won't even consider as there are too many teams in a small area already.

Queensland I could see them potentially look at a Sunshine Coast or even Cairns as a regional team just for the growth of the areas (and to get in before the Dolphins get a foothold), but they would have less supporters than Gold Coast on average. A second Brisbane team may work such as Wilston Grange Gorillas (my old club as a junior). Brisbane has issues though with not having anywhere near as many suburban AFL grounds, so their home would also likely be the Gabba. This wouldn't necessarily be an issue as the Lions are moving their training to a purpose built facility at Springfield. The AFL would also now have an opportunity to capitalise in the Ipswich area due to the Jets bid being rejected in the NRL, even then I don't know if the Lions would be too happy given that their new home base.

NT seems like the only other obvious pick, but not sure on the supporter base volume as well.
Being from Perth i think our options for a new team would be combining all the current Perth walf teams (Perth, West Perth, East Perth) and make an AFL team. could make the club colours a combo of the 3 or just having Black, Gold and White (state colours) or by having either a team based in either Joondalup or Mandurah both those being our biggest cities behind obviously Perth and Fremantle

Being from Perth i think our options for a new team would be combining all the current Perth walf teams (Perth, West Perth, East Perth) and make an AFL team. could make the club colours a combo of the 3 or just having Black, Gold and White (state colours) or by having either a team based in either Joondalup or Mandurah both those being our biggest cities behind obviously Perth and Fremantle
I have a feeling West Coast would dislike a team using those colours and essentially touting themselves as the "WA team" given their history of wearing WA state kits and being so broad as to call themselves "West Coast". I get what you mean though, an amalgamation of clubs did work for Adelaide.

If I ever had to look new teams from Perth, I'd have two that I'd look at. One would be a traditional Perth team, kind of like a Perth urban version of the Dockers, a team that has a club feel rather than a provincial franchise feel. My original concept would be "The Royals - Perth United FC" which wears blue red and black of East Perth Royals, West Perth Falcons and Perth Demons. But interestingly enough, Perth Demons is not really a "Perth" club per se, more of an across the river, Eastern suburbs/Vic Park team. West Perth and Subiaco would probably have closer ties, along with East Perth really. The ethno-religious heritages of the clubs are also similar, thought that is more of a historical remnant now.

The other option that I see has greater potential for the future though, is the "Greater Swan Districts" idea that already has Swan Districts FC representing the area of Embleton/Morley/Caversham/West Swan, out through Bayswater/Bassendean, all the way to Guildford then Midland/Swan View/Middle Swan; but in future can encompass the Ellenbrook/Upper Swan development area, which is all part of the Shire of Swan. It has potential to be massive, with a pre-existing identity and an already parochial supporter base. Of course, it will be very hard to think of another name besides "Swans" for a place which is named "Swan," plus- the colours will result in the Collingwood vs Port problem again, especially as the swans being referred to are black swans.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back