Roast Does anyone not like the majority of their own teams fanbase?

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The supporters with the everlasting rose coloured glasses get very tiresome. Seems there’s a fine line between optimistic and head up one’s arse.

Yeah but the fans at the games are actually a pretty good lot. Can't be compared to the people with a bit of internet power on here.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
I've been a little embarrassed by some tigs supporters online, but I think there is a fair bit of overlap of inflammatory, vocal supporters and a need to express opinions/be heard so these types of places will always attract the more engaged and loud fan.

I know I'm biased and a bit of an apologist, but I do think some of our recent behaviour is justified. We were the joke of the AFL for the majority of my life and we brutally copped it for a good while. That's not to say it wasn't deserved or bloody funny, but now that we have a bit of confidence/even arrogance, it seems our replies often feel in a bad spirit in the eyes of opposition supporters. Petty and bitter.

To me though, they feel like they're in the exact same spirit as the jabs we copped over the last couple decades, it's just that they're being delivered in the wrong era if that makes sense.... Like Richmond supporters are less trying to be dicks to oppo supporters and more we are trying to be a dick to our past era of failure.

You have to understand how beaten and broken we were as a people for a long time. That's hard for a proud group and not conducive to expressing yourself classily.

That doesn't justify some of the sh*t I've seen though.
Cracking post PG

Oct 10, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Cracking post PG
Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
This is probably all teams, all fans and such, but expecting players to just turn up 100% every single game. No matter the circumstances.

They're human. s**t can happen that can, and will throw them off. Maybe it's as simple as a debilitating migraine, or the anxiety of waiting to hear if a sick friend will be okay.

They're human, they won't perform their best every week. Do I perform my best at work every shift? * no. Sometimes by choice, sometimes I'm just off that day.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve always thought a lot of Carlton fans overrate the team badly. On Bigfooty dating back to 2009 many fans always thinking the club is in a good spot, even though it is yet to turn out like that.

It’s probably a thing at all clubs but it’s always been annoying to me to read about how good Carlton is supposedly on the way to being while the team plays horribly multiple times a year. Then a lot of revisionist history acting like we all knew list managers, coaches etc were always no good.

Interestingly in real life all my Carlton supporting mates are far less optimistic.

I've been a little embarrassed by some tigs supporters online, but I think there is a fair bit of overlap of inflammatory, vocal supporters and a need to express opinions/be heard so these types of places will always attract the more engaged and loud fan.

I know I'm biased and a bit of an apologist, but I do think some of our recent behaviour is justified. We were the joke of the AFL for the majority of my life and we brutally copped it for a good while. That's not to say it wasn't deserved or bloody funny, but now that we have a bit of confidence/even arrogance, it seems our replies often feel in a bad spirit in the eyes of opposition supporters. Petty and bitter.

To me though, they feel like they're in the exact same spirit as the jabs we copped over the last couple decades, it's just that they're being delivered in the wrong era if that makes sense.... Like Richmond supporters are less trying to be dicks to oppo supporters and more we are trying to be a dick to our past era of failure.

You have to understand how beaten and broken we were as a people for a long time. That's hard for a proud group and not conducive to expressing yourself classily.

That doesn't justify some of the sh*t I've seen though.

Me to a Richmond supporting mate during 2017: "We've got premiership players younger than me, all yours are older than your dad."

A few months later I was made to stfu.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Every team has d1ckhead supporters.
A mate of mine who is a passionate Bombers supporter has taken to wearing earplugs and listening to music at the footy as the reserved seat holders around him are intolerable, spend more time bagging out their own players then watching the game.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Every team has d1ckhead supporters.
A mate of mine who is a passionate Bombers supporter has taken to wearing earplugs and listening to music at the footy as the reserved seat holders around him are intolerable, spend more time bagging out their own players then watching the game.

Tell him to head off to standing room (if he can). Much more fun, you're not stuck with the intolerables, you can have a beer without being scared of spilling it on the person next to you, better access to bars and toilets, normally lots of humourous calls and you can catch up with friends much more easier. I've got plenty of friends who have reserved seats who never sit in them - they get the package because they want finals access (maybe not so much of an issue for Hawks fans at the moment). Hawthorn to their credit, have come with a nice hybrid model now - we have a package which gives access to a reserved section but not necessarily a reserved seat plus access to finals tickets. Perfect for moi. Even those that prefer to take the seats (you have to book each week) means you won't be stuck next to the same loudmouth, buffoon who makes the experience intolerable (and to be fair, for some fans that may be me).

Being forced into the same seat every week is a nightmare IHMO and your mate's situation illustrates why.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
People who take a proprietary interest in the club, the players.

You support your club, you have your own reasons. Mine are to do with family, in that my father and his father went for Carlton, and I did too. But there's a bit of a thread within Carlton supporters that has them treating players like investments, the club as a business: 'I pay my membership, I'm entitled.' That sets my teeth on edge, if only because it's a microcosm of that precise attitude permeating through the rest of society.

Also, think optimism gets a bad rap. Why wouldn't you want the best from your team? You support your team, your players; you're going to get stuff wrong. And it isn't as though pessimism is the way, either; the depths to which you plumb result in the greatest euphoria when you break through.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well what was the last side that won a flag and had no experience at winning finals?

Interesting question.

I believe Richmond are the only team this century to win a Premiership with no players who had previously won a final playing for the club. However Toby Nankervis and Josh Caddy had each played in one winning final during 2016 at the Swans and Cats respectively. Given there are as many as six teams who win finals each year, and the player movement we see between clubs often includes fringe players from successful clubs moving to less successful clubs, there probably aren’t that many AFL teams who run around without some players who have played in winning finals.

Even so, it still seems quite rare for a team to win a flag without containing players who have played in winning finals for the club before. I think Richmond 2017 being the exception here required exactly that, exceptional things to happen. The Tigers had a poor 2016, missing finals altogether. Prior to that, they had played in a final in the previous 3 seasons, twice after qualifying in 5th position, which means you play 8th and would almost always start strong favourite. To not win a final in those years the Tigers had to:

- famously in 2013 lose with level scoring shots after leading for 3 quarters to the Blues who had been elevated to the finals after finishing 9th.

- in 2014 limp into finals after winning 9 must-win games in succession, with no pre-finals bye, and drawing a red hot Port in Adelaide. Port were arguably the best team in that finals series that year.

- in 2015 after finishing 5th the Tigers drew North in an EF. Because of the way the ladder had shaped, when the same two sides met a week earlier with the Tigers a faint hope to secure a top 4 berth and the Roos no chance to either miss the 8 or be elevated about an Elimination Final berth, the Roos rested most of their team and the Tigers did not. It is unknowable what effect this might have had on the result, but it was the final straw to cause the AFL to introduce the pre finals bye from 2016 onwards.

The point here is Richmond losing all 3 of those finals probably required a few unusual circumstances to conspire and a more natural result might have been winning at least one of those finals.

So it is clearly not essential to have won a final prior in a recent season before winning a flag, but it is a bit unnatural for a team to win a flag without anyone in the team having layed in a winning final for the club previously.

On that basis the Suns would look a very unlikely Premier, and the Blues retain only Ed Curnow who has played in a winning final, but I doubt he would make the team if they won the flag this season, so they look similarly unlikely. The Bombers of course won’t have any players who have played in winning finals for the club. The other 15 lists contain players who have played in winning finals for their clubs.

Last edited:
What I hate most about Geelong fans is that the vast majority of us seem to be happy to mire in mediocrity. "Well about 15 other teams would love to be making finals every year like us". Nah, all the sh*t clubs just like laughing at us when we inevitably get bundled out without even showing up now.
It's just like being a Packers fan.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

I think it's even simpler. For whatever reason, the supporters of some clubs treat supporters of some other clubs like they are a lower class of society or something. That they should be even grateful to take the field against them. That's Hawthorn supporters to Geelong pretty much my entire adult life until 2007. Carlton fans were close to unbearable for a long time. Essendon fans not far behind. Alternatively, Geelong fans really enjoyed rubbing it in to Richmond supporters, until 2017 and the biggest mass dummy spit I've ever seen. It's almost like they were outraged that Richmond dared to compete or something.

The reality is sport is cyclical. Supporters who are thirty or even younger don't seem to get these clubs have been around for 100+ years, and they've all enjoyed swings and roundabouts. Collingwood are still perceived as this massive power club - they've won 4 flags in 84 years, and only 2 in the last 63.

Enjoy it while you're on top, because you're going to cop it when you aren't.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve always thought a lot of Carlton fans overrate the team badly. On Bigfooty dating back to 2009 many fans always thinking the club is in a good spot, even though it is yet to turn out like that.

It’s probably a thing at all clubs but it’s always been annoying to me to read about how good Carlton is supposedly on the way to being while the team plays horribly multiple times a year. Then a lot of revisionist history acting like we all knew list managers, coaches etc were always no good.

Interestingly in real life all my Carlton supporting mates are far less optimistic.
We have to lie to ourselves. Also, can't see us losing a game this year.

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I always go to the footy with mates who support other teams. Mostly Richmond and Geelong and sometimes Collingwood.
We are always in the standing room area. Much better for access to drinks. Hawk supporters are mostly drowned out by Tiger
fans around me, so I don't really see the worst of them. Small mercies.

Although the only time I have ever got into a near punch up at The Royal was with a nasty Hawthorn supporter. Made me
a little ashamed to be on the same team as him. By the way the girls at The Royal said that that Richmond and Collingwood
supporters were the best tippers and Hawthorn were one of the worst.:'(

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Well what was the last side that won a flag and had no experience at winning finals?
Hmm i believe that would be my mob. You had to go all the way back to 2001 to find a finals win before we won the flag in 2017.

On the topic i find most fans just can not be objective they have too much invested to be so.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
On the topic i find most fans just can not be objective they have too much invested to be so.
I spent every year since I was six believing this was the year... or in really bad years - those kids we picked are the messiahs. They’ll all become legends of the game. Now my strike rate of one flag in 50 years isn’t anything to write home about but it was definitely worth the wait

Further on topic- I hate those Eeyore types- we are going to get smashed this week. Or rabid ones that turn on their players. All teams have them and I despise ours. Dare to dream. Expect a fairy tale, and if it doesn’t happen there is always next year...
But if it does...

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
I’ve got to say this backfired on the whole not winning a premiership thing but I’m getting in first before someone else inevitably does the bf thing and bumps the thread.

In saying that, there are still a few Geelong fans on here that are just awful and I think it’s time to start using the ignore feature.

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Some St Kilda fan's on this board are tossers but in general, it seems every club has them.

Carlton was one that surprised me - the bad ones really came out of the woodwork early in the year when Carlton was up and about.

I have a mate who is a Collingwood supporter but hates most other Collingwood supporters so pretends not to support them when people ask. He's a little odd though.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ve got to say this backfired on the whole not winning a premiership thing but I’m getting in first before someone else inevitably does the bf thing and bumps the thread.

In saying that, there are still a few Geelong fans on here that are just awful and I think it’s time to start using the ignore feature.

Bro 100% those few cats people police literally every thread throwing personal attacks. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wojcinski, PB and Fadge (Apparently a pies supporter) are the same person. They literally all reply to me at the exact same time and liking each other’s comments EVERY time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back