AFLW AFLW 2022 - Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

We got thumped but I really like how potent our forward line is this year. We played 2/3 of the top 4 sides in the first 3 rounds and still sit 3rd in overall points for right now. That’s unlikely to change IMO so that’s a real positive.

On the flip side is the conceding. It’s mostly because of our midfield getting thumped as evidenced by our last two weeks against Fremantle and Melbourne. It shows that our midfield is still quite a bit away from being a Premiership quality midfield. It’s hard for our defence to keep it together when we’re conceding 46 entries into our defence. Kiara Bowers & Co really took our midfield to the cleaners.

Something we need to continue working on in the coming off-seasons.

We got thumped but I really like how potent our forward line is this year. We played 2/3 of the top 4 sides in the first 3 rounds and still sit 3rd in overall points for right now. That’s unlikely to change IMO so that’s a real positive.

On the flip side is the conceding. It’s mostly because of our midfield getting thumped as evidenced by our last two weeks against Fremantle and Melbourne. It shows that our midfield is still quite a bit away from being a Premiership quality midfield. It’s hard for our defence to keep it together when we’re conceding 46 entries into our defence. Kiara Bowers & Co really took our midfield to the cleaners.

Something we need to continue working on in the coming off-seasons.
You’re marking power nearly had us there for a while.

Sunday, January 23​

North Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney at Arden Street Oval, 1.10pm AEDT

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: J.Ferguson 20 D.Hardiman 31
HB: B.Brown 36 E.Kearney - C 9 A.Gilroy 8
C: K.Ashmore 10 M.King 23 I.Eddey 3
HF: S.Abbatangelo 1 A.O'Loughlin 6 J.Bruton 35
F: E.King 60 T.Randall 16
Foll: K.Rennie 26 J.Garner 25 A.Riddell 7
I/C: D.Bateman 11 E.Gavalas 22 N.Bresnehan 12 J.Duffin 27 D.Bannister 2
Emerg: A.Smith 15 G.Campbell 43

In: D.Hardiman, A.O'Loughlin, K.Rennie
Out: A.Hamilton (Omitted), A.Smith (Omitted), G.Campbell (Omitted)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B: P.Randall 21 A.Lister 14
HB: G.Garnett 17 E.Lorenzini 25 B.Stack 15
C: H.Zreika 24 A.Eva - C 2 A.Dallaway 30
HF: C.Staunton 13 R.Privitelli 19 K.Loynes 7
F: J.Doyle 5 N.Barr 8
Foll: E.McKinnon 23 A.Parker 3 L.Steane 20
I/C: T.Hetherington 9 A.Morphett 22 C.Dalton 11 E.Pease 33 K.Smith 4
Emerg: J.Grierson 10 L.Graham 37

In: E.Lorenzini, J.Doyle, C.Dalton
Out: T.Mackrill (Suspension), L.Stephenson (Omitted), R.Beeson (Injured)

You don't go from '7 contested grabs in the grand final rematch' to 'fumbling the ball in open space' because of the competition. Likewise 'slotting 3 in a quarter from all parts' to 'OOTF from directly in front'. It's clear she puts in less hours (less quality hours, at least) on the track than 5 years ago which manifests in a degradation of fitness, set shot routine, and everything in between.

That's my view, anyway. But to say the AFL hasn't put forward others to be heroes for young girls is objectively wrong. For starters, Conti and Molloy are the two most prominently featured in this year's marketing campaign. And even if it was Sabrina, she'd still be a better choice than going back to Cranston who a) was never a top player, and b) is the league's leading cause of head injuries.
Frederick will probably bounce around the expansion clubs as a veteran leader.

AFLW is transitioning to more like the AFL with faster ball movement and skilled athletic players. Fredrick is relatively slow, not that great a contested mark and if they put a decent defender on her then she's more than likely going to get beat. She simply isn't that good for this stage of the competitiion.

Frederick will probably bounce around the expansion clubs as a veteran leader.

AFLW is transitioning to more like the AFL with faster ball movement and skilled athletic players. Fredrick is relatively slow, not that great a contested mark and if they put a decent defender on her then she's more than likely going to get beat. She simply isn't that good for this stage of the competitiion.
Yep spot on with this take! Seems a fair amount of the 'star' forwards from the first couple of seasons have seen the game go past them with its style. I think Melbourne has identified the model well with more mobile and agile talls like Zanker, Parry, Scott, and Bannan (I know some of them have been playing different roles at times, Zanker in the middle even! but the point remains).

There’s only really 5 teams that can win the GF and the fixture is going to have a lot to say on who finishes top 4
Well, 6 if you include Brisbane.

Adelaide
Fremantle
Melbourne
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Brisbane

So, basically like last year. Carlton and Bulldogs may make finals if Brisbane don’t turn it around and make the top 6. They’re probably not contenders though.

Everyone else are just too far below the top teams to contend

Well, 6 if you include Brisbane.

Adelaide
Fremantle
Melbourne
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Brisbane

So, basically like last year. Carlton and Bulldogs may make finals if Brisbane don’t turn it around and make the top 6. They’re probably not contenders though.

Everyone else are just too far below the top teams to contend
It definitely feels like a three-tiered league, where you will beat the teams below you and have a chance against the teams in your tier, but can't beat the teams above you.

I think Carlton and the Bulldogs are mid-tier and, with all their injuries and Covid, wouldn't be shocked if the Dogs dropped back to bottom tier this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't it the other way around? Finished second last in 2019, then lost players to the Suns, played finals in 2020, won flag in 2021.
Sort of. 2019 is when we lost a bunch of players to the Melbourne expansion teams. That hurt us more than the players we lost to the Suns the year after.

Now, our concern is our academy falling behind the Vic NAB league sides.

Sort of. 2019 is when we lost a bunch of players to the Melbourne expansion teams. That hurt us more than the players we lost to the Suns the year after.

Now, our concern is our academy falling behind the Vic NAB league sides.
Hard to imagine any of the other states falling behind Vic after the last two years we’ve had with community sport.

Tuesday 25 January

Carlton AFLW Team Selection Update

The Game Changers have had to make two late changes to their Round 3 team due to face Brisbane later today.

Gab Pound and Jess Good will come out of the side due to AFL Health and Safety Protocols making way for Keeley Sherar and Brooke Vickers to debut this evening.

Carlton General Manager of Women’s Football Brett Munro says it is great to see young talent successfully making their way through the program.

“Both Keeley and Brooke were selected in the 2021 National Draft and have had outstanding pre-seasons, we are excited to see them become the latest Game Changers to debut this season, he said.

“The players will have family members travel to the Gold Coast to watch their debuts which will make the moment even more special for them both.”

Charlotte Hammans and Poppy Schaap will travel as emergencies.

Feels like a pivotal match tonight.

Brisbane at home (about as home as it's gonna get) against a mid-ladder team last year that hasn't set the world on fire in the first two rounds this year. And Carlton, there's not much reason to think they'll win enough games if they can't take care of a Lions team without Lutkins, Davidson and Conway.

The loser will definitely be written off, perhaps fairly so.

I love the way Farquarson can hit targets. You can really see the young players who came through the elite junior programs I reckon, she has a good eye for the play.

Pretty average free kick.
Brisbane look very dangerous on the rebound.
Wardlaw seems to be unmanned deep forward on a few occasions, Carlton need to tighten up defensively

hoping port to enter and make the crows weaker so they can’t match it with the top tier teams

Although suns coming in didn’t make lions weaker

That won't help fix the tiered system (which I absolutely agree exists in AFLW) though. It will just knock the Crows to probably second-tier and leave the other top-tier teams even more firmly established in the top tier.

Cheeses, AFLW commentary is ridiculously overstated. The Brisbane first gamer was just called "an absolute superstar". 🤪😜🤪

Strange game to say the least. Uncharacteristically bruise-free stuff by Brisbane... not a surprise off a 16 day break. But Carlton with 15 tackles in a half of footy, ho-leeey crap. And yet they've still had no issue getting their hands on it (~130 disposals per side).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back