Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Commsec's State of the States report is a good read - https://www.commsec.com.au/content/.../CommSec_State_of_the_States_October_2021.pdf

WA is ranked 1st in relative growth and 2nd in relative unemployment. One example quote:
"Economic activity in Western Australia in the year to June 2021 was 30.9 per cent above its ‘normal’ or decadeaverage level of output."

There's also the obviously unreliable "gut feel", for example the restaurant strips in Perth are at their busiest I've seen them since pre-Covid (although no idea what the actual figures are on that one, it could just be that the two main areas I frequent are appearing to do well)

That was a good read, thanks mate

WA is ranked 1st in relative growth and 2nd in relative unemployment. One example quote:
"Economic activity in Western Australia in the year to June 2021 was 30.9 per cent above its ‘normal’ or decadeaverage level of output."

Not denying WA economy has been solid but record levels of iron ore price had a fair bit to do with it.

1642774645984.png

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Some interesting reading today, with a couple of excerpts, but worth reading the whole article, if interested. With NSW looking like they may have peaked, and hospitalisations now starting to trend downwards, we will hopefully follow - unless return to school in both states pushes them up again.

Screenshot_20220122-090832_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220122-091008_Chrome.jpg

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not denying WA economy has been solid but record levels of iron ore price had a fair bit to do with it.

View attachment 1314527
Not wrong, but similar argument could be made that Sydney's result, which strongly relies on housing finance, would look substantially worse if it weren't for an ever-expanding property bubble.

There's no doubt WA's economy is very reliant on iron ore (China buys more than half of it), but it still only represents 17% of our GSP.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Officially less people in hospital now than last week for the first time in a while, and lowest cases since early Jan. very good news let’s hope it stays this way!
That's consistent with the Omicron mutation plateau-decline theory. One explanation for the rapid surge-plateau-decline is reduced numbers testing /reporting. Throughout 2020 and 2021, I didn't know anyone who had tested positive, in the last fortnight, 6. Among my 6 are 2 who reported feeling really rotten and 4 it's like a cold. Delta's still around, my guess is that the severe symptoms are Delta, the other Omicron. The increase in the hospitalised this month aren't reflected proportionately among those in ICU. Subject to some new mutation of a more virulent kind bobbing up, it's light at the end of the tunnel. For those looking for a nostalgic trip into the good old days in Footscray, Romper Stomper, Russ and his whacky mates, on one of the Ch 10s tonight at 9.00.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Two year old son and I both got sick around the same time. Both developed symptoms on a similar timeline. Nothing for the wife. We all went and got PCR tested. Wife and I negative. Son positive. Hard to comprehend. I've had the worst cough of my life so it must just be a massive coincidence that I contracted a mystery respiratory virus in Summer at the same time that my son got COVID. Not only that but my toddler, whom I spend hours with every day, hasn't transmitted to me. One of his favourite games to play at the moment is called the Sunscreen Game. First he offers to put sunscreen on for you, then when you accept his offer, he rubs handfuls of his own saliva onto your face. From my experience COVID is very poor at transmitting. Or PCR tests aren't as accurate as we have been lead to believe.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Two year old son and I both got sick around the same time. Both developed symptoms on a similar timeline. Nothing for the wife. We all went and got PCR tested. Wife and I negative. Son positive. Hard to comprehend. I've had the worst cough of my life so it must just be a massive coincidence that I contracted a mystery respiratory virus in Summer at the same time that my son got COVID. Not only that but my toddler whom I spend hours with every day hasn't transmitted to me. One of his favourite games to play at the moment is one we can the Sunscreen Game. First he offers to put sunscreen on for you, then when you accept his offers, he rubs handfuls of his own saliva onto your face. From my experience COVID is very poor at transmitting. Or PCR tests aren't as accurate as we have been lead to believe.
Similar experience for me and my wife. I tested positive and we isolated together at home for 7 days and somehow she didn’t catch it. We probably only played the Sunscreen Game 5 or 6 times but you would think that would have been enough.

Similar experience for me and my wife. I tested positive and we isolated together at home for 7 days and somehow she didn’t catch it. We probably only played the Sunscreen Game 5 or 6 times but you would think that would have been enough.
I hear they play the Sunscreen Game at Covid parties. Sounds like fun.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Two year old son and I both got sick around the same time. Both developed symptoms on a similar timeline. Nothing for the wife. We all went and got PCR tested. Wife and I negative. Son positive. Hard to comprehend. I've had the worst cough of my life so it must just be a massive coincidence that I contracted a mystery respiratory virus in Summer at the same time that my son got COVID. Not only that but my toddler whom I spend hours with every day hasn't transmitted to me. One of his favourite games to play at the moment is one we can the Sunscreen Game. First he offers to put sunscreen on for you, then when you accept his offers, he rubs handfuls of his own saliva onto your face. From my experience COVID is very poor at transmitting. Or PCR tests aren't as accurate as we have been lead to believe.
Ah, Scrag. Lucky you with your little Scrag. He'll turn out no good, much like his father, he might even end up going to Church. Have a chat to the lad over a beer when he's 21, no need to ask, he'll tell you about you as a father, you might be surprised at your rating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Scrag, there is a huge marketing opportunity for you here. At the very least, get some influencer spruiking your Sunscreen Game on FB. Packaging is just a small box with rules, supply your own saliva (or bodily fluid of choice).

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey Karl, the Queensland CMO says Gold Coast will peak in the next couple of days, Brisbane within a week 😀
I hope so. I don’t live far from there.

For your sake, I hope your religious freedoms are upheld and all your other freedoms are available there for you. The most important thing in life is ‘freedoms’, as well as religious freedom. All the best.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club

For your sake, I hope your religious freedoms are upheld and all your other freedoms are available there for you. The most important thing in life is ‘freedoms’, as well as religious freedom. All the best.
Hello, BD. So you are hiding away in WA ? Don't tell them this, they had their chance in 1901, Kiwis, said no, WA jibbed it. Just imagine, half the continent ? Good luck with highways, F 35s, fat bloodnuts who win Brownlows and p**s Malthouse off ? We can't let these blokes go, gold, just look at that fat bloke Darling, even Djokovic , he's as funny as that kiwi bird, Cal.

Last edited:

Bless you, Karl 🙂

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
BD, he's up there with Scrag ! How many Ned kellyesque heros can we succour on this Board before the Kelly-Davis-and-Fitzroy Cup ?

Last edited:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
U’ere in Straya, we no QR thingy, we no mask, we have Freedumb!

(Drinkin @Freedumb rally / slothing @treeplace)
Heard two young blokes and a young woman walking into a shopping centre in Ballarat recently, all unmasked and all ignored QR codes, did the same as they walked into Woolies inside the centre. The level and content of their conversation was pretty much on a par with your post. (All 3 wearing work clothes with company logos, wonder if they've inherited their 'values' from their employer, or just freedumb rebels.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back