Training Alright, alright, alright! Its the 2022 Pre-season training thread.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughty is only going to be as good as the next key pillar up forward.

If English plays as well as he did at the beginning of the year, they're both going to be bloody good to watch.
Best apprenticeship you could possibly ask for for Jamarra though to spend the next 5-10 years alongside Naughty - fingers crossed he in turn makes it a lot easier for Naughty in the future by being a handful himself. Watching these two together is going to be an absolute dream for us supporters

I actually felt bad for him for poor Josh. Naughts destroys the best defenders in the comp regularly, it would be a nightmare to have to train against him several times a week.

At least it literally does not get harder than that, Naughtys probably the hardest match up in the comp and our defenders get to practise on that every day, surely that counts for something? Right? What comes first, Naughty making our defenders look s**t or our defenders making naughty look unstoppable? 😂

Either way Schach playing defence is good, just has to be competent in the contest and hopefully can make a real impact as a 2nd tall- at least gives us another option. Please Keats stay healthy

What I take from the clip isn't really about Naughton but Schache. Naughton really should always take control of Schache and will look good. But this should be more about the learning curve of Schache and if he can revive himself in the long run. Yes, i'm sure there were times Schache did well as he wasn't the focus of the video.
There's very little to go by here but a negative take on it is that Schache is still no match for big key forwards one on one.

DueWest

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good to see Shack playing on Naughts. Naughts is a nightmare matchup for him. Super strong, agile and super courageous. Hope they match up on each other all preseason. It could be the making of shack. If he can become half competitive against Naughts he will be able to handle most forwards

He wasn’t competitive in that marking contest But They were not going hard though

Naughton , Darcy, JUH that’s one hell of a forward line for the future
Sounds good on paper, but let's be honest, only one of them has shown consistent top level performances at AFL level. The other two are expected to be good, but who knows.

Webb seems like a very good addition to the coaching staff.

I love the fact we got him from outside the AFL.

He comes very highly rated having experience in the WAFL. There would be some hidden gems outside of the AFL to assist in coaching, so I'm glad we've broadened our horizons by identifying talent from a semi professional environment.

Much like hidden talent from those in the VFL, SANFL, WAFL system who end up on rookie lists and turning into star AFL players, there would be quite a few coaches in those leagues who would do enormously well in an AFL environment.

Feb 2, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
If you think we are hated now, wait until those guys hit their prime, we will be loathed, and I love it.

As a neutral I don't understand how you can hate the dogs (and you'd think if anyone would be salty it would be a Bomber after another EF loss). Bont, Macrae, Dunks, Bazlenka, Libba, Treloar and Hunter have to be one of the most watchable midfield groups of any in the competition - bulldogs games are always exciting. And then you have pieces like Naughton, JUH, Darcy and Weightman who could make one of the most exciting forward lines in the league and then players like Dale and Daniel down back with electric foot skills.

(Once again, sorry for the intrusion, was just looking around to see training reports - best of luck for the year ahead!)

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As a neutral I don't understand how you can hate the dogs (and you'd think if anyone would be salty it would be a Bomber after another EF loss). Bont, Macrae, Dunks, Bazlenka, Libba, Treloar and Hunter have to be one of the most watchable midfield groups of any in the competition - bulldogs games are always exciting. And then you have pieces like Naughton, JUH, Darcy and Weightman who could make one of the most exciting forward lines in the league and then players like Dale and Daniel down back with electric foot skills.

(Once again, sorry for the intrusion, was just looking around to see training reports - best of luck for the year ahead!)

“They pay off the umpires and benefit too much from FS/academy rules and the one with the mullet is a w***er” is the general set of complaints.

fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn
Sounds good on paper, but let's be honest, only one of them has shown consistent top level performances at AFL level. The other two are expected to be good, but who knows.

I think if we are to be honest none of them has shown consistent top level whilst playing in the forward line

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If anyone is ever considering paying 3 grand to have me banned, I'll voluntarily leave this place forever if you just pay me 2 grand instead.
I feel like you're on to a serious business opportunity here. Might need to create 20+ alt accounts to start this new venture

Sounds like a protection racket to me.

"You want to stop all those heart attack inducing posts about Bont wanting a trade to Richmond? Just send $2000 to BSB / account number xxx"

Don't get sucked in....he'll be offering you performance enhancing supplements next...

Its not that difficult. We had the temerity to rise above our designated place as the unthreatening underdog in the hierarchy of the game in 2016. People like underdogs as long as they remain...under them and at heel.

Then there's the fact that Bigfooty is a contact sport inhabited by campaigners who take great delight in trolling each other.

Jan 13, 2011
Child of Ghaia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hope this bloke has watched the 2nd half of the GF about 50 times. Lots of takeaways we need him to grasp out it.
And our round 21 game against Essendon. Both these games highlighted a methodology for our midfield to be exploited in a material manner that cost us games. If Webb spent 7 years at Fremantle then it's more than likely his tenure coincided with Ross Lyon whose teams are well known as being defensively sound and by extension a defensively biased midfield group and structure. This seems a good match for the more attacking and proactive setup that we currently have and can hopefully iron out those midfield setup deficiencies we had in those two games, in particular the opposition exiting out the front of the contest.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
And our round 21 game against Essendon. Both these games highlighted a methodology for our midfield to be exploited in a material manner that cost us games. If Webb spent 7 years at Fremantle then it's more than likely his tenure coincided with Ross Lyon whose teams are well known as being defensively sound and by extension a defensively biased midfield group and structure. This seems a good match for the more attacking and proactive setup that we currently have and can hopefully iron out those midfield setup deficiencies we had in those two games, in particular the opposition exiting out the front of the contest.

there were a number of times we repeatedly lost the ball out of the centre square. If Keath had had a s**t year, we would have been far more exposed, but he was excellent. I think we erred by taking Cordy over Gardner in the GF - his longer reach and closing speed would have been helpful - but in reality - our midfield needs to be more defensively minded at times....

Back