Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It seems simple but it's really only simple if round 1 is affected. If round 2 or beyond is affected then suddenly it's not simple at all.

As of right now, I think the AFL would rather send West Coast to Melbourne (or another other neutral venue) for round 1 and hope the rest of the fixture is unaffected. There is currently only one fixture scheduled for a Melbourne venue on that Sunday and it's at the MCG. The AFL could very easily switch this game to Marvel Stadium for that Sunday and I think that's probably the most likely outcome right now.
At the end of the day it would be up to you, but I dont know why a possible extended hub interstate means we cant swap fixtures. I doubt we'll be hubbing longer than the first half of the season at worst (imo I reckon we'll be open before the season starts regardless, sometime early or mid March). It was done on multiple occasions last season between a few teams. We fly into GC, play you guys at Metricon, then we fly to Melbourne to start our hub period, with us meeting in Perth later in the season.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
At the end of the day it would be up to you, but I dont know why a possible extended hub interstate means we cant swap fixtures. I doubt we'll be hubbing longer than the first half of the season at worst (imo I reckon we'll be open before the season starts regardless, sometime early or mid March). It was done on multiple occasions last season between a few teams. We fly into GC, play you guys at Metricon, then we fly to Melbourne to start our hub period, with us meeting in Perth later in the season.

Set up both teams, West Coast and Freo, in an AFL neutral state until their premier gains some common sense.

Have them playing out of the NT or Tassie

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The rest of the states are handling this just fine.
I would say residents in age care facilities probably disagree. While the rest of population can walk into pharmacies to get booster most vulnerable and compromised people are sitting ducks while waiting for booster. They are all eligible, most got astrazeneca 2 doses that gives them least protection. The only info I heard is that it will take 2-3 months to give all of them booster which is shocking. It's really a sad reflection on society that nobody talks about it. Basically every day now, 80% of total death, 40-50+ age care residents die and nobody cares. If they had booster in their arms my guess is probably half would still be with us as boosters do limit transmission and severe illness with omicron.

Nurses, doctors, ambulance workers would probably also disagree with your statement but that's another story. My 3 family members work in health sector and it's not pretty to say the least. Perrottet constantly talking about world class health system is a joke.

I would probably also disagree. I am a bit pissed off today with my wife working all day next to now positive case. Funny thing is that she is not even classified as close contact so no isolation or test unless she gets symptoms. If she is asymptomatic she will be transmitting covid at work (hospital) tomorrow. All family members (one immunocompromised) could be infected by now, just waiting for symptoms. No RATs available so we will have to drive around and spend probably hours in queue if we want to get tested. I would not classify this as 'states are handling this just fine'.

Last edited:
I would say residents in age care facilities probably disagree. While the rest of population can walk into pharmacies to get booster most vulnerable and compromised people are sitting ducks while waiting for booster. They are all eligible, most got astrazeneca 2 doses that gives them least protection. The only info I heard is that it will take 2-3 months to give all of them booster which is shocking. It's really a sad reflection on society that nobody talks about it. Basically every day now, 80% of total death, 40-50+ age care residents die and nobody cares. If they had booster in their arms my guess is probably half would still be with us as boosters do limit transmission and severe illness with omicron.

Nurses, doctors, ambulance workers would probably also disagree with your statement but that's another story. My 3 family members work in health sector and it's not pretty to say the least. Perrottet constantly talking about world class health system is a joke.

I would probably also disagree. I am a bit pissed off today with my wife working all day next to now positive case. Funny thing is that she is not even classified as close contact so no isolation or test unless she gets symptoms. If she is asymptomatic she will be transmitting covid at work (hospital) tomorrow. All family members (one immunocompromised) could be infected by now, just waiting for symptoms. No RATs available so we will have to drive around and spend probably hours in queue if we want to get tested. I would not classify this as 'states are handling this just fine'.
Yeah, that's not right. Aged care should get first priority, as they were the first ones to get the first dose in the first place.

I'm sorry you guys are going through that. I apologise, that's not what I meant. Knowing people in the health sector probably gives you a different experience than me, where I don't. Ive only got a friend who works within the Austin but in the department that supplies the equipment.

I was just referring to the fact things seem to have peaked (from looking at data), and hospitals seem to now be declining and thats the only thing people are focusing on, and its not as dire as those in the west make it out to be. But hopefully things will keep improving from here on out.
RATs availability do seem to be an issue for sure, hopefully that eases up soon with governments buying more and for them to be available.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don't know if this is relevant but just thought I'd join in, regarding RAT kits. My wife buys and sells at the markets here in Rayong province, and she is able to purchase kits and sells them for 100 baht (approx. $4.25AUD). No problem with supply, but not sure about the quality, although approved by the Gov.....

Last edited:

Mick F

Mighty Snr
Dec 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't know if this is relevant but just thought I'd join in, regarding RAT kits. My wife buys and sells at the markets here in Rayong province, and she is able to purchase kits and sells them for 100 baht (approx. $4.25AUD). No problem with supply, but not sure about the quality, although approved by the Gov.....
100 baht is a days wage, so not that cheap or relevant. You can buy a wife for about 10000 baht.

whats it like over there covid wise? My sister would love to go back to Phuket for a holiday when its safe. Pre-covid she went about 7 times already.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
whats it like over there covid wise? My sister would love to go back to Phuket for a holiday when its safe. Pre-covid she went about 7 times already.
New cases down to around 8000 daily with deaths reducing considerably, 19 yesterday out of a population of around 66 million....not sure how accurate the reporting is though.

Entry to Thailand is too difficult atm, with rules for entry seemingly changing every other day. I'm able to return to Qld now as Qld border is opened to International travellers but won't consider it, because of the difficulty in getting back into Thailand atm.
This article posted earlier today might give your sister an insight...

New cases down to around 8000 daily with deaths reducing considerably, 19 yesterday out of a population of around 66 million....not sure how accurate the reporting is though.

Entry to Thailand is too difficult atm, with rules for entry seemingly changing every other day. I'm able to return to Qld now as Qld border is opened to International travellers but won't consider it, because of the difficulty in getting back into Thailand atm.
This article posted earlier today might give your sister an insight...

Thats definitely interesting entry rules. She'll probably wait a while longer.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It looks like omicron is taking off in WA - 24 cases today. My guess is that borders will open 1-2 months later. Round 1 still probably at Optus.

It looks like omicron is taking off in WA - 24 cases today. My guess is that borders will open 1-2 months later. Round 1 still probably at Optus.
The moment they started to get cases should have been their cue, they were past 80% like the rest of the country when they opened up. Time to rip the bandaid off.

What they're doing is not sustainable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3

Not a bad guess, but I reckon the WA sporting season could be a write off.

EG.

RIP scorchers, wildcats, AFLW, baseball

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs

If they swap the fixtures then we know the AFL is trying to help the WA teams and their income streams from home games.

If they play round 1 at a neutral venue and call it an Eagles home game, they are effectively saying get stuffed we are sick of the border closures, b/c everyone is going to lose money from a neutral venue game (the Eagles and the AFL especially, but also the stadium workers and businesses).

Will be interesting to see how they go. The fixture swap for round 1 is sitting right there and if they don't use it that will say a lot.

Actually, it won't say a lot it will just be two big fingers up to the WA government and who cares who else cops it.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
A 'fixture swap' isn't so easy because of travel arrangements for both clubs. The week after we play the Eagles, we have the Hawks away. That will presumably be in Tasmania.

If the decision was up to us, surely there's no way we as a club say it's okay for us to fly to Perth in round 19, then fly down to Tassie for round 20. Especially given we'd see the Hawks as a winnable game. That suddenly becomes harder to win if a great deal of our build-up is flying all across the country.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
A 'fixture swap' isn't so easy because of travel arrangements for both clubs. The week after we play the Eagles, we have the Hawks away. That will presumably be in Tasmania.

If the decision was up to us, surely there's no way we as a club say it's okay for us to fly to Perth in round 19, then fly down to Tassie for round 20. Especially given we'd see the Hawks as a winnable game. That suddenly becomes harder to win if a great deal of our build-up is flying all across the country.
Another way of looking at it could be we are awful at the end of the season and much more likely to win games early, so to give us the best chance to win early games would be to switch them around.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Another way of looking at it could be we are awful at the end of the season and much more likely to win games early, so to give us the best chance to win early games would be to switch them around.
Depends on which way we see it. More likely to win against the Eagles away early in the year? Or at home late in the year?

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

We'll all be making sacrifices this coming season. It was done last season by multiple teams, and it will likely need to be done again.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We'll all be making sacrifices this coming season. It was done last season by multiple teams, and it will likely need to be done again.
Just waiting for omicron to take off in WA. 15 cases today is not enough. Get a couple of thousands and border is gone. I expect some games postponed or re-scheduled similar to AFLW unless WA border stays. Then good luck to Freo and Eagles.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Shuey injured in match sim.

Seems like WC may be missing a few important cogs come round 1.
Round 1 is still a couple of months away, isn't it? Shuey will have heaps of time to recover from any hamstring or calf injury he's now got. He'll still play IMO. Unless he breaks down again.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It looks like the game will go ahead as scheduled at Optus. WA apparently will allow other AFLW teams to travel and play in WA.

Fremantle and West Coast's AFLW teams are set to return to Perth next week.

Although they'll have to serve 14 days of quarantine, it's believed the WA government will grant them permission to train and play during that period.

Rival teams are set to be flown in to Perth under strict conditions, possibly allowing West Coast and Fremantle to remain at home for the remainder of the home-and-away season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back