No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched some of the Women's games. There was some good play but so many deliveries go astray. The major problem for me is the scoring. To improve scoring you need good distribution. The majority of kicks coming into the forward line in any of the matches were high kicks or ground balls to the pockets. Most teams seem to prefer to use a FF one out against her opponent with no crumber. This allows opposition teams to drop back an extra to clean up when thd ball hits the deck.

There seems to be very similar styles played by most teams. Defensive footy is the most pervasive. I think this is because all the coaches have completed the AFL Coaching course. I don't think the people who teach that course have ever had a new idea. I would love to see some women coaches who have not been tainted by the AFL course come in to coach. It is also frustrating to see nearly all men coaching the teams. In NSW there are several great women coaches who have developed great game plans and their sides are good to watch. I watched a GF some years ago between I think it was UTS and Mac Uni, Mac won I am glad to say. It was a really good game and the scoring was pretty good. It was actually a very good quality game too.

I think to get a more attacking and skillful game you have to concentrate on skills training and goal kicking at training. The other thing is that bringing in athletes from other codes is probably diluting the skills level a bit. While they may be great athletes, basketball ears, netballers, cricketers, high jumpers, are they skilled footballers? I think developing girls and woman's footy at grass roots level in all states needs to be a priority. In the Northern sataes the academy systems are working and the amateur leagues, with the unis, are quite strong.

The first premiership coach in AFL Women's League was Bec Goddard. Her side scored far higher than any other. When she left Crows to go home to Victoria, no team took he on. She was relegated to the VFL, coaching Hawthorn. Why? She is a great coach. If she said she would move to Sydney to coach our women I'd be ecstatic.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was just going to say that every time I hear about the AFLW, it's always news that someone has done an ACL. What is going on???

There was a study a while ago that women tend to do ACL's more frequently than men,

iirc it has something to do with how womens hips and knees are shaped/constructed that means they are more susceptible.

Edit: because you should always provide links

There was a study a while ago that women tend to do ACL's more frequently than men,

iirc it has something to do with how womens hips and knees are shaped/constructed that means they are more susceptible.

Edit: because you should always provide links

Cheers for the link. That's unfortunate, I had a gut feeling the reason was up that sort of alley, I didn't want to comment on it out of fear of being , uh, insensitive or something (You just never know these days...)

Glad the Swans got a team though, I'll be keeping an eye out for results at the very least. :thumbsu:

Cheers for the link. That's unfortunate, I had a gut feeling the reason was up that sort of alley, I didn't want to comment on it out of fear of being , uh, insensitive or something (You just never know these days...)

Glad the Swans got a team though, I'll be keeping an eye out for results at the very least. :thumbsu:

It is a shame that the current zeitgest has people afraid to ask questions

I watched some of the Women's games. There was some good play but so many deliveries go astray. The major problem for me is the scoring. To improve scoring you need good distribution. The majority of kicks coming into the forward line in any of the matches were high kicks or ground balls to the pockets. Most teams seem to prefer to use a FF one out against her opponent with no crumber. This allows opposition teams to drop back an extra to clean up when thd ball hits the deck.

There seems to be very similar styles played by most teams. Defensive footy is the most pervasive. I think this is because all the coaches have completed the AFL Coaching course. I don't think the people who teach that course have ever had a new idea. I would love to see some women coaches who have not been tainted by the AFL course come in to coach. It is also frustrating to see nearly all men coaching the teams. In NSW there are several great women coaches who have developed great game plans and their sides are good to watch. I watched a GF some years ago between I think it was UTS and Mac Uni, Mac won I am glad to say. It was a really good game and the scoring was pretty good. It was actually a very good quality game too.

I think to get a more attacking and skillful game you have to concentrate on skills training and goal kicking at training. The other thing is that bringing in athletes from other codes is probably diluting the skills level a bit. While they may be great athletes, basketball ears, netballers, cricketers, high jumpers, are they skilled footballers? I think developing girls and woman's footy at grass roots level in all states needs to be a priority. In the Northern sataes the academy systems are working and the amateur leagues, with the unis, are quite strong.

The first premiership coach in AFL Women's League was Bec Goddard. Her side scored far higher than any other. When she left Crows to go home to Victoria, no team took he on. She was relegated to the VFL, coaching Hawthorn. Why? She is a great coach. If she said she would move to Sydney to coach our women I'd be ecstatic.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ditto re Goddard. Top notcher. Her series really interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually have no interest in girls footy at this stage , and have coached them
So you protest about discussing the women’s game in the General Discussion thread because it’s not the same… heaven knows we can discuss the VFL, SANFL, AFL NSW/ACT, AFL Sydney, even AFL Europe, Asia and North America… but put a W after AFL and it’s a different game?
Mind you I don’t mind that if only ‘cos it keeps those less enthusiastic out of this thread.
Apparently it doesn’t work tho because even tho you have no interest in the girls’ game, you’re interested to know about Jess Doyle?
You also think a post about a Women’s Rising Star nomination is worthy of discussion in the General thread?
I’m confused 🤪

Last edited:
So you protest about discussing the women’s game in the General Discussion thread because it’s not the same… heaven knows we can discuss the VFL, SANFL, AFL NSW/ACT, AFL Sydney, even AFL Europe, Asia and North America… but put a W after AFL and it’s a different game?
Mind you I don’t mind that if only ‘cos it keeps those less enthusiastic out of this thread.
Apparently it doesn’t work tho because even tho post you have no interest in the girls’ game, you’re interested to know about Jess Doyle?
You also think a post about a Women’s Rising Star nomination is worthy of discussion in the General thread?
I’m confused 🤪
So am i . Jess Doyle plays for the enemy ffs

Girls wearing indigenous guernseys every week is pretty cool!
Freo and the Crows putting on a pretty good show today. Lacks the power and intensity of the men but the passion, contest and endeavour makes it very watchable. Skills have improved immensely since the inaugural year.

Girls wearing indigenous guernseys every week is pretty cool!
Freo and the Crows putting on a pretty good show today. Lacks the power and intensity of the men but the passion, contest and endeavour makes it very watchable. Skills have improved immensely since the inaugural year.
I loved
Brisbane's
FMGJpqFUUAAhBW2.jpeg

and
North's
2022_AFLW_IndigenousGuernsey_Launch_Hero.jpg

Although talking of ACL injuries in soccer, it has made some interesting points.

ACL injuries have disproportionately affected women compared with their male counterparts since data began being recorded in the 1990s.

Early theories around why women were more likely than men to sustain ACL injuries overwhelmingly pointed to "sex"-based biological factors: anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, hormones.

studies have found that while the rate of ACL injury has decreased for men and boys over the past two decades, they have remained unchanged in girls and women, suggesting there is more than strict biological factors at play
British Journal of Sports Medicine:
The authors argue that ACL research in sports science has historically been too focused on "sex"-based biological factors (what they call "intrinsic" influences) at the expense of cultural and environmental ("extrinsic") factors. In reality, though, the two are deeply intertwined.

I can see it killing uptake in AFLW and having serious impact on the longevity of the sport when you consider the above. It doesn't look good long-term at the current rate they're happening if you ask me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back