Training 2021/22 Preseason Thread Lessssf*ngo

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I used to get that all the time on Smith St collingwood and Victoria St in Richmond.
‘You Jason?’
Had no idea who and where TF this Jason guy was.
Sketchy dudes. Anyways…
I got the same thing on Smith st.
It was pretty hectic back in the day.

I got the same thing on Smith st.
It was pretty hectic back in the day.
Another time, I was at a club back in the day - mighta been Honky Tonks. This bloke comes up to me and says, ‘You got any Gary Ablett's?’.
I had no idea what we was talking about. He just kept asking.
In the end, I said to him - mate, I have no idea what you’re on about.
‘Tablets mate. Do you have any pills?’. WTF? No. I don’t - not for you anyway.
Something off about him. I reckon he was under cover and trying to be cool. Stood out like dogs balls with that shite.

Rick18

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hopefully we start ramping the content up soon. There's roughly a month before our first praccy against Melbourne. It'll be here before you know it.

Can't wait for the BBL and tennis to fu** off so we can get Rick18 back...

Having said that MaccaRoo and rooboy335 have raised the bar to such levels everything else will be a disappointment.

I know this is a five-day old post but I've just logged in for the first time in weeks to say I don't have tennis duties ... but I do have Winter Olympics duties 😂

But once that is done we'll hit the ground running with a bunch of things I have planned because I want to do more this year than previously.

I used to get that all the time on Smith St collingwood and Victoria St in Richmond.
‘You Jason?’
Had no idea who and where TF this Jason guy was.
Sketchy dudes. Anyways…
Absolute truth I got the same thing when I moved into Gore St, just off Smith St. Collingwood in the mid 90s. Especially around the Safeway precinct.
Trouble was my name IS Jason haha.

There I was, an innocent young buck just moved into the city for the first time, naive to the underbelly of the day, and suddenly I was wondering why all these extremely dodgy, somewhat unhealthy looking, druggy types knew my name. Things would usually start off friendly anyway, especially when I said, "well yeah, my name's Jason". Eventually I realised my error as they'd realise pretty quickly I wasn't their target market. A sneer, a twitch and they'd be scurrying off with any pretext of being friendly long gone.

solidgoldhell

Debutant
Mar 31, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Absolute truth I got the same thing when I moved into Gore St, just off Smith St. Collingwood in the mid 90s. Especially around the Safeway precinct.
Trouble was my name IS Jason haha.

There I was, an innocent young buck just moved into the city for the first time, naive to the underbelly of the day, and suddenly I was wondering why all these extremely dodgy, somewhat unhealthy looking, druggy types knew my name. Things would usually start off friendly anyway, especially when I said, "well yeah, my name's Jason". Eventually I realised my error as they'd realise pretty quickly I wasn't their target market. A sneer, a twitch and they'd be scurrying off with any pretext of being friendly long gone.

I live on Gore st now. Times have changed. You only really get called Jason on Victoria St in Richmond these days.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
"The South Australian had a stellar season with Glenelg in 2021"...
1E4055F3-8F89-426F-AD99-42870094E111.jpeg

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think this preseason is super important for LDU and Stephenson. Albeit, from the same draft, they have both been simmering the past three years. This has to be the year the burst out, and if we have a inside mid and a classy wing/forward who screams ‘x-factor’ come on at the same time, it’s going to ridiculous.

That thought right there even makes you forget about the bunch of other s**t we have going on with rotations consisting of Phillips, Powell, HF and Jy + TT.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think this preseason is super important for LDU and Stephenson. Albeit, from the same draft, they have both been simmering the past three years. This has to be the year the burst out, and if we have a inside mid and a classy wing/forward who screams ‘x-factor’ come on at the same time, it’s going to ridiculous.

That thought right there even makes you forget about the bunch of other sh*t we have going on with rotations consisting of Phillips, Powell, HF and Jy + TT.

I wouldn’t label LDU as ‘simmering’ to describe his output to date. Even with injury and his personal issues he has improved a considerable amount year to year. I think people are expecting some breakout year like Petracca and like we expected with Wells. Maybe he is just going to continue to gradually improve and by 25-26 be an elite A grade mid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

That thought right there even makes you forget about the bunch of other sh*t we have going on with rotations consisting of Phillips, Powell, HF and Jy + TT.

I reckon Jaidyn has already burst through in his first year and also with a matchwinning performance vs WC for us.

While LDU put in some high possession games in 2021 I think he's yet to produce a game to match Jaidyn's peak standard just yet.

roos_tt29

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon Jaidyn has already burst through in his first year and also with a matchwinning performance vs WC for us.

While LDU put in some high possession games in 2021 I think he's yet to produce a game to match Jaidyn's peak standard just yet.
His game against The Tigers was excellent - next step will be to hit the scoreboard more consistently.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldn’t label LDU as ‘simmering’ to describe his output to date. Even with injury and his personal issues he has improved a considerable amount year to year. I think people are expecting some breakout year like Petracca and like we expected with Wells. Maybe he is just going to continue to gradually improve and by 25-26 be an elite A grade mid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't think LDU is ever likely to be a Brownlow medalist, top 5 midfielder type, I hope so, but I think he lacks that final 10% of urgency in his game to ever reach that absolute top level.

He's not particularly good defensively and he's hot and cold with his footskills at times.

In saying all that, he does have a boatload of positives, he's only getting bigger, will be borderline unmovable in his late 20's and has unique pace and power for a guy of that body size and shape. As you said, he's improved consistently every year in the league, which is really underrated, especially given how many setbacks he's had.

I honestly think the Josh P. Kennedy "with pace" predictions pre-draft are spot on. He's a 250+ gamer, maybe a 2 x AA, that is consistently in the best 10-20 midfielders in the league for most of his mid-late 20's.

I see that as where he ends up, which would still be one of the best midfielders we've produced in the last 35 years.

We are fortunate in that we've drafted some absolute game breaking midfielders recently, so there's less pressure for him to be Chris Judd, we just need a Josh Kennedy.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
His game against The Tigers was excellent - next step will be to hit the scoreboard more consistently.

It was statistically very strong but wasn't take the game away from them level Jaidyn has been able to demonstrate in his career thus far.

Just IMO of course. I'm not saying LDU has had a poor career trajectory, just that Jaidyn's top level when he produces it is gamebreaking standard.

I think LDU has it in him too when he can add in those 3+ goal bursts that the really good mids can produce from time to time.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was statistically very strong but wasn't take the game away from them level Jaidyn has been able to demonstrate in his career thus far.

Just IMO of course. I'm not saying LDU has had a poor career trajectory, just that Jaidyn's top level when he produces it is gamebreaking standard.

I think LDU has it in him too when he can add in those 3+ goal bursts that the really good mids can produce from time to time.

I don't think that's a knock on LDU.

Stephenson is only in a handful of players to average close to 20+1 in the league and even fewer are around his age.

Not many players best 5 or so games around Stephensons age are as good statistically as his.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just regarding Luke, when assessing his ceiling, I don't necessarily look at the Richmond game which is obviously his best 4 quarter performance statistically.

I look more at these types of examples:

• Round 1 Port Adelaide, 1st Quarter - 11 Disposals 1 Goal*
  • Round 9 Hawthorn, 3rd Quarter - 11 Disposals 1 Goal*

He changed the course of the game for us, accumulating & hitting the scoreboard, whilst being highly influential in our midfield dominance. Obviously his engine knocks limit doing this for longer then 1 quarter currently, however improving this is how he reaches the levels we hope.

*Can't find a site that shows stats breakdown per quarter, but these are approx. from memory.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

It's easy to forget Stephenson has only had 4 years in the AFL. He's seems to have been around forever.

We really should be salivating at what he's capable of over the next decade.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is there training this week?

Heard nothing, seen nothing, absence of track watchers reporting anything.
Has the heat mercy rule been brought in?

I think most people attend Fridays sessions as they generally have match sim on Friday.

There were photo's released yesterday, Greenwood gave an interview after yesterdays session.

With 5 weeks to go to the warm up games, it's likely 1 or 2 of these next 4 Friday sessions is a full blown intra club, possibly in 3 weeks or so.

I think we are likely to see 15-30mins of full ground contact drills on Fridays in the lead up to that intra club.

Back