Other Teams
Furth

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
And we are into the quarter-finals. What a day of tennis by the girls with all 4 matches going the distance in hard-fought, tiring conditions. Particular mention to Alize Cornet, for taking 60 Grand slams to make a quarter-final. It smashed the previous record for the length it has taken for a player to reach that milestone. And to do it on the same court she suffered a devastating loss at the same stage 13 years ago. No other upsets to the main contenders (so far) with Medvedev and Swiatek both getting through tight contests. Day 9 is Ash Barty Night. We also have the Special K's in doubles. Later start today

Weather. 32. humid, partly cloudy. Winds 15-25. I have never seen Melbourne with such consistent weather.

Rod Laver Arena
Legends match first up. Real Play starts at
12:30PM (H2H)
[4] Krejcikova vs. Keys (Never Played)
[14] Shapovalov vs [6] Nadal (Nadal 3-2)
7PM
[1] Barty vs. [21] Pegula (Barty 1-0)
[17] Monfils vs [7] Berrettini (Berrettini 2-0)

KIA Arena
D Alcott [1] vs Lapthorne
Womens Doubles
3:30PM
Kokkinakis/Kyrgios [WC] vs Puetz/Venus [6]
Mixed Doubles(John Peers)

So, after knocking out the winner of Sydney last round, Maddie Keys gets to play the runner up. Think Krejcikova has enough variety to offset Keys and force her to hit UE. Krejcikova in 2

Shapovalov played Nadal at the Exo in Dec 2021. He won in a match tiebreak. As seen, has a comparably good record against Nadal; even took a set off Nadal at Rome. I think Shapovalov in a gruelling one. Shapovalov in 4

Barty is having a party. Pegula done a mighty good effort to back up her performance from 12 months ago when she made the quarters. I just don't see it (having a chance). Pegula has had 8 wins against top 10 players, 4 of which are against Pliskova. Barty is just in top form and does have a history of losing to "lesser" players(think Muchova last year), her form this year is speical. Barty in 2.

Think I heard a stat that this is the first time Monfils has made it to this stage without dropping a set. I also think Monfils is super happy that this is at night. he is not a fan of the super hot weather IIRC. It is a vast contrast to this time last year, where Monfils cried after losing in the first round. he was the in-form player on tour before Covid hit and then struggled to win a game once tennis resumed without fans. I think Berrettini but it should be a late one. Their last meeting at a major(2019 US Open 1/4 final) took 5 sets and a Tiebreak in the last. Berrettini in 5

Mens Draw
[11] Sinner vs. [4] Tsitsipas
[9] Auger-Aliassime vs.[2] Medvedev
--------------------------------
[17] Monfils vs [7] Berrettini
[14] Shapovalov vs [6] Nadal

Womens Draw
[27] Collins vs. Cornet
[7] Swiatek vs Kanepi
-----------------------------------
[1] Barty vs. [21] Pegula
[4] Krejcikova vs. Keys.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Tsitsipas mate.. Tsitsipas mate.. how grouse is he and that mate.. 2 4 setters and a classic 5 setter in his last 3 mate.. mixing it up en route to the final mate.. smart thinking mate.. that's it mate.. forget about it mate.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Fortunately.. unfortunately.. however you wanna look at it and that re sort of a thing and that right.. I will not be watching.. the Kokk.. and Kyrgios.. romp it in mate.. in an easy one mate.. and have fun doing it mate.. I will be on a jet ski all day mate.. that's it mate.. forget about it mate.

Anyone do Australian Open Tipping with Superbru? I've climbed to 15th globally and 1st in Australia.

1643062578456.png

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Keys over Krejikova in 3 (Time for Keys to show her potential)
Nadal in 5 (Hope he gets pushed far, so he loses stamina for later in tournament)
Barty in straight sets enough said, shes winning the tournament
Monfils in 5 (would love to see him make a really deep run for his entertainment value)

T2 reference ? :p
I stopped participating when Covid took over in April 2019 and shut down sport. I returned just in time for Aus Open.

The Admin of our league wanted to know where I'd been. I told him, "I told you I'd be back."

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Can't remember a more interesting/exciting men's slam quarter final in...well, a long time. I could see all of the matches going either way (though FAA is probably the lowest odds).

I still struggle to see anybody beating Medvedev but it's not implausible. I watch with interest.

Back