Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinStraighte

Senior List
Mar 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Now while I have you, can you tell me anything about Gresham and H Clark’s pre season
Haven't seen much from the Saints this preseason, to be honest! They've been tight-lipped when it comes to any potential role changes.

I've got Gresham in my side at the moment, and I'm pretty hot on him. Last year the plan was to unleash him in the midfield, and that's exactly what happened before he snapped his achilles: R1 he attended 48% CBAs for a 95, and R2 58% for a 107. He's always had endurance issues that have historically limited him to 65 - 70% TOG, but on the plus side that makes him a solid points-per-minute player in that midfield role. Both himself and the coaching staff have expressed their desire to improve his tank, and in a perfect world he pushes towards 80% TOG this year. Even if he doesn't, though, I'd still conservatively estimate him to average somewhere within the 75 - 85 range - which, for a player priced at 61, is a pretty decent return.

Two caveats: one, achilles injuries can take a while to fully recover from, though from all reports he's back to full training; and two, he started his career as a very talented small forward, and there's always the risk that he returns to that role permanently. If it were me, though, I'd love to see him play as a real x-factor midfielder who only rests forward, in a similar mould to Dangerfield, Martin, Bont, Petracca etc.

Clark, I'm not so sure about. He's always been touted at the future of the Saints midfield but, like Gresham, hasn't managed to build his tank to the requisite standard. Interestingly, he only played full midfield clock once last year, in round one against the Giants, where he attended 70% CBAs for a 91. His top three scores (R4 - 104, R5 - 104, R7 - 113) actually came when he returned to half-back , which probably remains his best position. His price of 72 is artificially lowered by a couple of early-game injuries, and he's potentially better than that, but by how much I'm not sure. I guess my main concern is the $609k price tag - it's a lot to pay for someone with so many question marks, and you'll have to make sacrifices elsewhere on your field to do it. Definitely one to watch, though!

How many rookies do you think you'll start?

Four at the moment, five if you include Hamling. I've gone pretty mid-pricer heavy, actually - Milera, Rowell, Rayner. It's hard to pass up such value, but once the preseason games start I'm sure I'll come back to reality and get rid of them all!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Haven't seen much from the Saints this preseason, to be honest! They've been tight-lipped when it comes to any potential role changes.

I've got Gresham in my side at the moment, and I'm pretty hot on him. Last year the plan was to unleash him in the midfield, and that's exactly what happened before he snapped his achilles: R1 he attended 48% CBAs for a 95, and R2 58% for a 107. He's always had endurance issues that have historically limited him to 65 - 70% TOG, but on the plus side that makes him a solid points-per-minute player in that midfield role. Both himself and the coaching staff have expressed their desire to improve his tank, and in a perfect world he pushes towards 80% TOG this year. Even if he doesn't, though, I'd still conservatively estimate him to average somewhere within the 75 - 85 range - which, for a player priced at 61, is a pretty decent return.

Two caveats: one, achilles injuries can take a while to fully recover from, though from all reports he's back to full training; and two, he started his career as a very talented small forward, and there's always the risk that he returns to that role permanently. If it were me, though, I'd love to see him play as a real x-factor midfielder who only rests forward, in a similar mould to Dangerfield, Martin, Bont, Petracca etc.

Clark, I'm not so sure about. He's always been touted at the future of the Saints midfield but, like Gresham, hasn't managed to build his tank to the requisite standard. Interestingly, he only played full midfield clock once last year, in round one against the Giants, where he attended 70% CBAs for a 91. His top three scores (R4 - 104, R5 - 104, R7 - 113) actually came when he returned to half-back , which probably remains his best position. His price of 72 is artificially lowered by a couple of early-game injuries, and he's potentially better than that, but by how much I'm not sure. I guess my main concern is the $609k price tag - it's a lot to pay for someone with so many question marks, and you'll have to make sacrifices elsewhere on your field to do it. Definitely one to watch, though!

Four at the moment, five if you include Hamling. I've gone pretty mid-pricer heavy, actually - Milera, Rowell, Rayner. It's hard to pass up such value, but once the preseason games start I'm sure I'll come back to reality and get rid of them all!
Cheers mate. Don’t see many Saints on the fantasy board these days so appreciate the in depth response. At the moment I have both in my team but they’re likely both the first ones culled. I do see a lot of upside in both of them though if the right role is there. I feel with Clark, he has upside whether he’s half back or midfield due to those injury games and the fact he never really got going last year. Plus your first 5 games are arguably the easiest run any team has this year!

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Here's one:

Walsh & Draper

VS

Darcy and M. Crouch

Basically, the new kids on the block, versus the injury prone guys

Hewett (D3) and S Darcy (R2) vs J Short and Preuss?
Basically, which position should have a premo and which a stepping stone - defender or ruck?
I would go Hewett can easily sling him to a rookie harder to get Preuss to a rookie

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Steele and Simpkin
V
Oliver and Walsh?

Steele 120 and Simpkin 105
V
Oliver 110 and Walsh 115

I can’t split them. 1 gives me a permanent captain but a riskier second player, option 2 probably gives me two top 8 mids
Depends on where you see Simpkin. I think he can go anywhere from 100-115. Has all the tools to be a top 8 mid. I’d be going that option as I think he can go 110 this year and Steele gives you a guaranteed top captain option

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Depends on where you see Simpkin. I think he can go anywhere from 100-115. Has all the tools to be a top 8 mid. I’d be going that option as I think he can go 110 this year and Steele gives you a guaranteed top captain option
I really like Simpkin. 80% CBA’s last year. Fills all the lines of the stat sheet up. Eerily similar ending to last year of that to Walsh in 2020 before he went 109
Last year

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For "mid-priced midfielder who could have a huge breakout third year" - Tom Green or Harry Schoenberg?

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
For "mid-priced midfielder who could have a huge breakout third year" - Tom Green or Harry Schoenberg?

Schoenberg with a bullet. If I was picking a breakout, it's him. Seems to be etched as a permanent starting 18 on baller by both coaches and supporters, and loves a tackle - no reason he can't go 95+ IMO.

WaynesWorld19 what do you think?

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Schoenberg with a bullet. If I was picking a breakout, it's him. Seems to be etched as a permanent starting 18 on baller by both coaches and supporters, and loves a tackle - no reason he can't go 95+ IMO.

I was super keen on Schoenberg before he lost his fwd status.

I’m concerned starting with him this year with Crouch and Dawson also taking some mid time which could impact him.

Will be a great fantasy player someday but I’m unsure if it’s 12 months too early. Most his games last year were 70% TOG and less so if he lifts that, he will likely also do well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Walsh (110) + mid rook (65)

vs

Serong (100) + Rowell (80) -Assuming Rowell looks good in pre-season games

A) Will only ever require 1 upgrade

B) More upside but the chance of requiring 2 upgrades

If Serong goes on to be a 100+ keeper B wins, if not A will prove to be the better. Leaning A

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Agree ....certainly has the game, consistency the issue ....but he's only played 30 games

Will certainly get more mid minutes this season ......because of the 30 games only though, he's more on my radar for 2023 .....can certainly see a 90 ave season though

1642916201145.png

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Warming to the idea of going with Lipinski.

He’s an awkward price but I wouldn’t be surprised if he went at 100+.

Always known how to score when given a friendly role and sounds like he’s been very solid in the Pies training reports and will be predominantly a centre square midfielder. Also had some big games in the VFL playing as a pure midfielder.

Getting similar vibes to Keays. Never really cemented his position in the team before changing clubs and becoming a centre square mid and going from averaging 70 to 108 overnight in a friendly role.

Mezzoculo

Accurate. Brilliant. Unlikely.
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs

Always known how to score when given a friendly role and sounds like he’s been very solid in the Pies training reports and will be predominantly a centre square midfielder. Also had some big games in the VFL playing as a pure midfielder.

Getting similar vibes to Keays. Never really cemented his position in the team before changing clubs and becoming a centre square mid and going from averaging 70 to 108 overnight in a friendly role.
The handsome devil is sitting at M5 for me atm for that exact reason. Had to drop Darcy down to Preuss to afford it but that let me also upgrade Kemp to Hewett. One premo and two rooks turned into three midpricers. Surely nothing can go wrong...

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond

Also Jarryd Lyons did likewise after going to Brisbane. Lipinski priced at 70, it’s awkward, need 95+ from him I think

Mezzoculo

Accurate. Brilliant. Unlikely.
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Also Jarryd Lyons did likewise after going to Brisbane. Lipinski priced at 70, it’s awkward, need 95+ from him I think
The attraction of Lipinski is that if he's given the opportunity then a 90 average is pretty realistic. Has shown he can score at AFL and VFL level when in the midfield.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The handsome devil is sitting at M5 for me atm for that exact reason. Had to drop Darcy down to Preuss to afford it but that let me also upgrade Kemp to Hewett. One premo and two rooks turned into three midpricers. Surely nothing can go wrong...

He’s made his way to M5 for me as well. Will be a close watch and see over the practice games but if he’s given the role, I think he will do very well.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The attraction of Lipinski is that if he's given the opportunity then a 90 average is pretty realistic. Has shown he can score at AFL and VFL level when in the midfield.

Think he only played 3 VFL games last season (from what I could find) and he went at 144, 70 and 116. Those are some good numbers if that’s in line with what he can produce at AFL level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back