NFL 2021 NFL - Divisional Weekend

Divisional Winners?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does only the Bills not playing defence count?

KC also failed to play defence, they just were awarded a situation through chance where they could win without it. A possibility only available to one of the teams.

Not all OT scenarios are the same though are they?

It was pretty obvious that who won the coin toss was going to decide this (I called it in this thread even before the last Bills TD). In this contest, it was obvious noone was stopping anything. Yet the Bills still chanced their fate for overtime.

They screwed the kickoff because they were scared of a TD return. Their decision.
They failed to stop the Chiefs advancing the ball 44 yard in 9 seconds including a gawd awful late play where the DB allowed inside leverage for Kelce to run down the middle of the field and gain the yards after catch to get in FG range. Their decision.

They chose this route knowing the state of the defence yet still chanced the coin toss. They were complicent in every decision to get to that 50/50 coin toss. And they knew how OT rules worked beforehand yet did nothing to avoid it.

I'd understand the thought process if KC was the 85 Chicago Bears but they had the ability to keep the ball away from the best offense most have ever seen and every course of action did the opposite.

Just play 10 mins OT.
No golden goal, walk off TD, etc ever feels satisfying or fair.

Don't mind the idea, think every year we are discussing these rules so I doubt the NFL are changing them.

An OT suggestion could be coin toss winner gets to pick offense or defense.
If the team with the ball scores a TD, the team who gets it 2nd has a chance to answer [which in a game where D has struggles you would pick] and after a possible TD you would go for a 2PT try [assuming the first team only kicked the PAT] to win. if its still tied then next score wins. Any Defensive score can end the game on the first possession.

Most teams would pick to play D first so they know what they need to extend the game. and if the first team failed a 2-pt try then they can win with a TD and PAT.

An OT suggestion could be coin toss winner gets to pick offense or defense.
If the team with the ball scores a TD, the team who gets it 2nd has a chance to answer [which in a game where D has struggles you would pick] and after a possible TD you would go for a 2PT try [assuming the first team only kicked the PAT] to win. if its still tied then next score wins. Any Defensive score can end the game on the first possession.

Most teams would pick to play D first so they know what they need to extend the game. and if the first team failed a 2-pt try then they can win with a TD and PAT.
Or home team gets to decide for playoffs

Scores are level with 45 seconds on the clock and a team knows it can take it's time to get a TD?

I'm not sure that would be any better than what todays games delivered.
Yeah but they’ve put themselves in a winning position with 45 seconds to go on the clock - that’s fair game IMO if they didn’t take their time and scored a TD they still would have won. Plus you still have to score and if they don’t they then give the ball back to the Oppo who drives for the win. Much more fair situation than a team kicking a FG with 3 seconds left to equalise then by luck of the draw getting first possession and winning.

Even just seeing as Chiefs were last possession to score to equalise do away with the coin and automatically give first possession to Bills in that situation - at least that’s more off game situation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh my post was laced with sarcasm, I must not have laced it enough. Short field merchant Brady does it again.

Skip Bayless blaming the same defense for not showing up that gave him those short fields while having a QBR of 14. Shocked to be sitting here.

I read it as that, just didn't want to make a fool of myself if i had misconstrued

So you're all good!

Just play 10 mins OT.
No golden goal, walk off TD, etc ever feels satisfying or fair.

The trouble with this is that you're asking the players to potentially play a fair chunk of a fifth quarter of football. I doubt the NFLPA will readily agree to this (I'm not sure if a change to the OT needs to go through the players' union before it's ratified, and even if it isn't, they'll lobby against it).

Well i know how this is going to end. 9ers lose in OT without seeing the ball.

Goddammit Shanahan! I don't believe in curses but.....still!!

On OT - obviously there's not a perfect solution otherwise we'd be agreeing on it, but I agree with the poster who said don't make perfect the enemy of good (or fair). Yes, there are three phases to the game but the NFL (like most sports governing bodies) will continue to evolve the rule book to encourage offense and protect offensive players, making defense that much harder. To do that and not also tweak rules where that evolution has a knock-on effect doesn't seem ideal.

Well i know how this is going to end. 9ers lose in OT without seeing the ball.

100% and if the 49ers do I will be very angry.

At the defence and not the rule.

The trouble with this is that you're asking the players to potentially play a fair chunk of a fifth quarter of football. I doubt the NFLPA will readily agree to this (I'm not sure if a change to the OT needs to go through the players' union before it's ratified, and even if it isn't, they'll lobby against it).
Overtime can already go gor 10mins if no one scores so tjey would have to had already agreed to it. The only issues is if scores are still tied. I'd say the game doesn't stop until next score during playoffs.

The best proposal was on bill Simmons which was each team has the chance to score a TD - if the first team scores a TD or a FG then the second team must score a TD Or a Fg in less plays then the first team to win.

It makes perfect sense.

Sign me up

No it doesn’t. Just favours teams that pass the ball. How is it fair that a team that runs the ball has to score in say 5 plays. Why is a TD in 15 plays worse than one in 4?

100% and if the 49ers do I will be very angry.

At the defence and not the rule.
I wonder if you would say the same thing if its 10-3 game with 1min left. your D has been out on the field for 40+mins and leak a late TD because you are out on your feel to send it to OT and have to go back out

I wonder if you would say the same thing if its 10-3 game with 1min left. your D has been out on the field for 40+mins and leak a late TD because you are out on your feel to send it to OT and have to go back out

See here is the problem with this whole OT debate...we keep coming up with scenarios that prove one OT rule over another.

What's to say the team that is out on their feet goes three and out and gives away a short field position where the other team is already in field goal range?

No it doesn’t. Just favours teams that pass the ball. How is it fair that a team that runs the ball has to score in say 5 plays. Why is a TD in 15 plays worse than one in 4?

Football in general favours the team which can pass the ball.

I love this idea because if it moves to both teams get possession; the second team effectively plays the full 100 yards with four downs which is an unfair advantage - which is effectively what happens now if the team with the ball first scored a FG

There is no perfect option but I like this better than the current view

Back