Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
If there is a few good rookies priced mids, I'm thinking I won't start JHF.

He might struggle to get quality mid time at North with so many good young guys ahead of him, so I think an average of 60 is his top end.
Guys like McGuiness, Clark, Ward, Sheldrick, and Erasmus should all score as well, if not better at a cheaper price.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

He might struggle to get quality mid time at North with so many good young guys ahead of him, so I think an average of 60 is his top end.
Guys like McGuiness, Clark, Ward, Sheldrick, and Erasmus should all score as well, if not better at a cheaper price.
Leaning towards this myself.

Plus I think that JHF seems to be more of an "impact" type midfielder than an accumulator

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Leaning towards this myself.

Plus I think that JHF seems to be more of an "impact" type midfielder than an accumulator

He's certainly not a Tom Mitchell, but either is Bont at a modest 26 touches a game. Danger has averaged 23 and 20 touches a game the last 2 seasons.

JHF will be a mid 20's disposal type player at his peak IMO. Remembering JHF was a midfield destroyer in all underage levels apart from the SANFL where he played half forward for the majority of the season, he had no problem racking up big numbers in underage tournaments.

I think any limit on his scoring is going to be purely down to role. Noble has said he's going to be played 70/30 Fwd/Mid this coming season.

He's certainly not going to be Rowell, his scoring will largely sway on the amount of goals and goal assists he puts out IMO. I think he still gets it 15 disposals a game or so.

I think he's a lot more suited to half forward at AFL level than someone like Rayner, purely because of his speed, explosiveness and strength in the air.

There was match sim on Friday, it is pre-season training and all, but he looked superb rolling up to the wing and exploding back towards the F50 and delivering to the leading forward. He's going to be a very hard matchup even for a first year player because of his raw speed and power.

I think a 60 top end is a little conservative, I think that would probably be nearer to his floor.

Someone like Gresham averaged 80 in his first full year. I see his impact as comparable to someone like him in a similar role.

JHF will definitely put out some 100+ games with a statline of something like 18d, 2.2g, 2 GA, 5 tackles type performance. Likewise, he will probably get frozen out in a half forward role in games we are well beaten.

I see his average range as probably 55-85.

Last edited:

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
how the fu**, wonder what fantasy game price they had on him

193k there yet on there official sites 383k

ummm yep
AFL Fantasy need to sort that out, playing 1 game and being priced that is ridiculous.

I remember Fiorini scored like 166 in his 2nd game and the next year he was 600k from 2 games

AFL Fantasy need to sort that out, playing 1 game and being priced that is ridiculous.

I remember Fiorini scored like 166 in his 2nd game and the next year he was 600k from 2 games
I think they must have been quoting his real dream team price I was excited haha

Guaranteed game time you'd think

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
He's certainly not a Tom Mitchell, but either is Bont at a modest 26 touches a game. Danger has averaged 23 and 20 touches a game the last 2 seasons.

JHF will be a mid 20's disposal type player at his peak IMO. Remembering JHF was a midfield destroyer in all underage levels apart from the SANFL where he played half forward for the majority of the season, he had no problem racking up big numbers in underage tournaments.

I think any limit on his scoring is going to be purely down to role. Noble has said he's going to be played 70/30 Fwd/Mid this coming season.

He's certainly not going to be Rowell, his scoring will largely sway on the amount of goals and goal assists he puts out IMO. I think he still gets it 15 disposals a game or so.

I think he's a lot more suited to half forward at AFL level than someone like Rayner, purely because of his speed, explosiveness and strength in the air.

There was match sim on Friday, it is pre-season training and all, but he looked superb rolling up to the wing and exploding back towards the F50 and delivering to the leading forward. He's going to be a very hard matchup even for a first year player because of his raw speed and power.

I think a 60 top end is a little conservative, I think that would probably be nearer to his floor.

Someone like Gresham averaged 80 in his first full year. I see his impact as comparable to someone like him in a similar role.

JHF will definitely put out some 100+ games with a statline of something like 18d, 2.2g, 2 GA, 5 tackles type performance. Likewise, he will probably get frozen out in a half forward role in games we are well beaten.

I have zero doubt he will go onto be an amazing player and maybe develop into a fulltime mid who goes fwd and kicks goals.
But in his first year, in a team that is going to struggle with fwd 50 entries, plus if he's playing fwd, there isn't a heap of other good players for the opposition to concentrate on.
Imagine if he is playing WC.
Barass and Mcgovern take CCJ and Larkey
Rotham takes Zurhaar
That leaves Hurn, Nelson or Cole to take JHF, not exactly easy matchups!!

Not many 1st year players go over 70 for the whole year and those that do are full time indie mids like Walsh and Oliver or are mature players.

If he is playing 70% in the forward line as stated, he is relying on the ball being kicked near him, very different to a mid who is around every stoppage.

I think he will have a couple of 80+ 1st year games with stats like you have stated, but he will also have some games that he has 5 touches and struggle to score 30.

Look at Noah Anderson's 1st year in a similar team. Had 2 games of 80 but 3 games under 40 and averaged 59. If I had to put money on it, that would be pretty similar to JHF's output this year

Actually Gresham went 60 from 18, 65 from 22 and 73 from 22 in his first 3 years!

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have zero doubt he will go onto be an amazing player and maybe develop into a fulltime mid who goes fwd and kicks goals.
But in his first year, in a team that is going to struggle with fwd 50 entries, plus if he's playing fwd, there isn't a heap of other good players for the opposition to concentrate on.
Imagine if he is playing WC.
Barass and Mcgovern take CCJ and Larkey
Rotham takes Zurhaar
That leaves Hurn, Nelson or Cole to take JHF, not exactly easy matchups!!

Not many 1st year players go over 70 for the whole year and those that do are full time indie mids like Walsh and Oliver or are mature players.

If he is playing 70% in the forward line as stated, he is relying on the ball being kicked near him, very different to a mid who is around every stoppage.

I think he will have a couple of 80+ 1st year games with stats like you have stated, but he will also have some games that he has 5 touches and struggle to score 30.

Look at Noah Anderson's 1st year in a similar team. Had 2 games of 80 but 3 games under 40 and averaged 59. If I had to put money on it, that would be pretty similar to JHF's output this year

Actually Gresham went 60 from 18, 65 from 22 and 73 from 22 in his first 3 years!

Sorry I was actually looking at Greshams SC scores.

No denying its going to be a step up for JHF from SANFL and he's going to be playing arguably the hardest position in football.

You are forgetting Charlie Comben, who has put on 10kgs and is finally fully fit after his first uninterrupted pre-season. He's going to start at CHF. Tall forwards will be Larkey/Comben/CCJ, a lot taller than last year on average.

1643065358957.png

Also forgetting that it's likely that one of Thomas or Stephenson will always be forward at some point. I think JHF likely gets Cole in your example, as Hurn is on Zurhaar and Nelson is on Stephenson.

One benefit to JHF's scoring is the defensive side of his game. He will average 4+ tackles per game next year even in a forward role, he is an animal, which should keep his floor relatively high.

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

Gresham averaged 61 in his first year. I think JHF is likely to start out closer to his floor at least for the first couple rounds before he finds his feet, possibly comes into a higher average as the season progresses and he gets used to his role and norths setup. He’d still do very well to hit 80 in fantasy. Should have no problem hitting that in SuperCoach though

it’s good seeing a couple north supporters in here as we don’t see you guys often! North are a seriously interesting team and will be over the next couple years for fantasy. Lots of guys to like

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
Sorry I was actually looking at Greshams SC scores.

No denying its going to be a step up for JHF from SANFL and he's going to be playing arguably the hardest position in football.

You are forgetting Charlie Comben, who has put on 10kgs and is finally fully fit after his first uninterrupted pre-season. He's going to start at CHF. Tall forwards will be Larkey/Comben/CCJ, a lot taller than last year on average.

View attachment 1315855

Also forgetting that it's likely that one of Thomas or Stephenson will always be forward at some point. I think JHF likely gets Cole in your example, as Hurn is on Zurhaar and Nelson is on Stephenson.

One benefit to JHF's scoring is the defensive side of his game. He will average 4+ tackles per game next year even in a forward role, he is an animal, which should keep his floor relatively high.
I did forget about Comben (he's my fantasy UTL!) but that's a pretty slow and top heavy side!!'
I don't think you can play Goldy, CCJ and Comben in the same team.
I assumed that CCJ was traded as a Goldy replacement and Comben would be pitch hit in the ruck?

Not many fwd/ruck types have been successful as fwd's over the past few years as they don't have the mobility or the ability to apply pressure to keep the ball in the fwd line.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I did forget about Comben (he's my fantasy UTL!) but that's a pretty slow and top heavy side!!'
I don't think you can play Goldy, CCJ and Comben in the same team.
I assumed that CCJ was traded as a Goldy replacement and Comben would be pitch hit in the ruck?

Not many fwd/ruck types have been successful as fwd's over the past few years as they don't have the mobility or the ability to apply pressure to keep the ball in the fwd line.

Comben isn't a fwd/ruck.

Comben is a very mobile 200cm forward in the Hipwood/Jarred Waite mould. He's a lot more agile and faster than Larkey as an example.

With CCJ in the side, he will see little if no ruckwork.

CCJ isn't exactly a dinosaur either, he moves very well for a ruckman, but is the least mobile of the 3.

Plenty of teams play a similar setup to that.

You can sort of see in this mashup what sort of player he is, especially 1:02, that's not something a ruckman does. As previously said, he's packed on about 10kgs since these videos as you can see in the photo a few posts above.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Comben isn't a fwd/ruck.

Comben is a very mobile 200cm forward in the Hipwood/Jarred Waite mould. He's a lot more agile and faster than Larkey as an example.

With CCJ in the side, he will see little if no ruckwork.

CCJ isn't exactly a dinosaur either, he moves very well for a ruckman, but is the least mobile of the 3.

Plenty of teams play a similar setup to that.

You can sort of see in this mashup what sort of player he is, especially 1:02, that's not something a ruckman does. As previously said, he's packed on about 10kgs since these videos as you can see in the photo a few posts above.

Currently my R3. Apologies in advance when he gets a serious injury by round 4 like all my rucks last year :drunk:

juppy

All Australian
Mar 11, 2010
Central Coast, NSW
AFL Club
Essendon
Thinking of ditching JHF as have Hall, Simpkin and want TT as well plus have Comden on bench and then Perez may be a fieldable rookie. But have FOMO lol
I'm thinking of doing the opposite.

Ward, JHF, Erasmus, Daicos nearly seem locks if named rnd 1. We get WCE Clarke on bench and even a Hobbs or a similar, I am toying with the idea of a 4 rookie mid. Essentially my Serong pick into a ROB as R2. Then a Pedlar into Rayner who seems to be back in midfield. Other than a few, the rookies all seem to be mids.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
I'm thinking of doing the opposite.

Ward, JHF, Erasmus, Daicos nearly seem locks if named rnd 1. We get WCE Clarke on bench and even a Hobbs or a similar, I am toying with the idea of a 4 rookie mid. Essentially my Serong pick into a ROB as R2. Then a Pedlar into Rayner who seems to be back in midfield. Other than a few, the rookies all seem to be mids.
I’m running the same but fielding Clark provided he plays. Allows me to add Crisp to the defence rather than a Bowes/Maynard type.

Will have to see how it pans out with teams though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back