AFLW Opposition Observation

Remove this Banner Ad

yes watching the game, saw the incident & Grace walking along boundary line, thought straight away that's bad
get well soon Grace

Punctured lung, broken ribs. Seriously tough nut to get up and just walk off.

If this was soccer a priest would have come onto the ground.

Watched the Collingwood v Carlton game to see how Sabrina would go and agree that she looked about the same as what she did for us last year

I think weirdly that her main issue is that players are a better kick these days. Where once a kick from inside 50 would almost always land short and she could use her contested pack marking skills now they are either sailing through for goals (or behinds) or players are better at lowering the eyes and hitting up a leading target
Slow as treacle, both in mind (it seems) and in body. I hope she finds something to give herself relevance in the current game space, I really do, just not sure what she can do. The only thing would be Ruck, but she just wouldn't have the ground coverage at the moment against the current cohort, and isn't finding any metre saving manoeuvres.

Slow as treacle, both in mind (it seems) and in body. I hope she finds something to give herself relevance in the current game space, I really do, just not sure what she can do. The only thing would be Ruck, but she just wouldn't have the ground coverage at the moment against the current cohort, and isn't finding any metre saving manoeuvres.

Yeah ruck is not her go. As I’ve said before clubs get seduced by her physical size and plonk her in the ruck and they are then virtually a player down. Worked first couple of years for her as rucks didn’t have much of an idea but she’s struggled big time from the 2019 season.

I thought the position for her at the Pies was stationed inside forward 30 but the way players have developed athletically since Sabs’s Brisbane days I think the game has just about gone past her. She’s coming up against players who are her size and ability and can run by off her.

Watching some vision the thing for me was that at times it looked like the effort wasn’t there. That’s a huge problem. I’m not necessarily saying she isn’t trying but more that she doesn’t have enough gas in the tank.

That trade for Shevlin, pick 16 (drafted Yassir) and 48 (drafted Kiely) for Frederick, 26 and 55 could go down as one of our best AFLW trades.

Oh I didn’t see this thread. Geelong really put up a fight watching that game. But you could tell Collingwood’s class.

McMahon destroyed Sabrina! Was noticeable IMO.

Bonnici and Lambert killed it for Collingwood as expected and Amy McDonald basically carried Geelong with McMahon the other solid contributor.

Was it Van De Heuvel from Geelong that was too fast for Collingwood? There was a Geelong player that could not be touched by Collingwood players because of her speed. I think it was Van De Heuvel but she was great to watch whoever she is.

We play Geelong later in the season according to the fixture and they’re going to be pretty hard to play against IMO. Their 0-3 record is deceptive as they’ve been tough to defeat in all 3 games. They’re a very contested team as well

Watch this space - I don’t think we will play Gold Coast on a Friday night next week now that their match against Brisbane was cancelled due to COVID-19 list availability.

I think it’ll either be later in the week or maybe even rescheduled.

Oh I didn’t see this thread. Geelong really put up a fight watching that game. But you could tell Collingwood’s class.

McMahon destroyed Sabrina! Was noticeable IMO.

Bonnici and Lambert killed it for Collingwood as expected and Amy McDonald basically carried Geelong with McMahon the other solid contributor.

Was it Van De Heuvel from Geelong that was too fast for Collingwood? There was a Geelong player that could not be touched by Collingwood players because of her speed. I think it was Van De Heuvel but she was great to watch whoever she is.

We play Geelong later in the season according to the fixture and they’re going to be pretty hard to play against IMO. Their 0-3 record is deceptive as they’ve been tough to defeat in all 3 games. They’re a very contested team as well

Geelong have improved considerably.
Look faster as you mentioned and the class of Morrison and Prespakis is also noticeable. Have been thereabouts every game. Not sure about the trading of Sheer but I agree they will be a tougher team to overcome.

Watched last night's game, Morrison is so impressive. Hope she gets continuity after suffering those knee injuries.

I also watched Sabs closely. She is slower than a wet week, but is also incapable of outbodying any opponent. She cannot pick the ball up off the ground and she can't get to the next contest after the ball is cleared. Her tap work is underdeveloped and she looks to grab it out of the throw in every time, which has become very predictable. She's a clumsy tackler as well. When in the forward line, she's no threat and her defender can easily run off her. Hope she finds another role for herself because she's basically unplayable atm.

Watched last night's game, Morrison is so impressive. Hope she gets continuity after suffering those knee injuries.

I also watched Sabs closely. She is slower than a wet week, but is also incapable of outbodying any opponent. She cannot pick the ball up off the ground and she can't get to the next contest after the ball is cleared. Her tap work is underdeveloped and she looks to grab it out of the throw in every time, which has become very predictable. She's a clumsy tackler as well. When in the forward line, she's no threat and her defender can easily run off her. Hope she finds another role for herself because she's basically unplayable atm.

Other than that all good? :D

This is her 4th average year. I thought she might have had a chance to improve as she is still only 25 but it seems it’s just more of the same.

I wonder how long it will take for Collingwood to take her out of that side. It just doesn’t fly in the current AFLW game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Competition feels stagnant right now. It’s only Round 3 and the 6 finalists last year have already occupied the top 6. Feels like they’re in their own league and the rest of us are in another.

Competition feels stagnant right now. It’s only Round 3 and the 6 finalists last year have already occupied the top 6. Feels like they’re in their own league and the rest of us are in another.

yeah looks like a tier system

tier 1 finals range
1. Collingwood
2. Adelaide
3. Melbourne
4. Fremantle
5. Brisbane
6. North Melbourne

tier 2 mid range
7. Carlton
8. Western Bulldogs
9. Greater Western Sydney
10. Richmond

tier 3 bottom range
11. West Coast Eagles
12. Geelong
13. Gold Coast Suns
14. St Kilda

Zimmie Farquharson is a hell of a name and she’s going to be a hell of a player.

Yep, hails from Dalby up here - The Lions called her the most talented female player they have seen - two years ago!!!!!! She certainly has something special!

Last edited:

tier 1 finals range
1. Collingwood
2. Adelaide
3. Melbourne
4. Fremantle
5. Brisbane
6. North Melbourne

tier 2 mid range
7. Carlton
8. Western Bulldogs
10. Richmond

tier 3 bottom range
11. West Coast Eagles
12. Geelong
13. Gold Coast Suns
14. St Kilda

Don't really have a problem with that - as long as it stays somewhat consistent the draft and good recruiting can get that sorted - there are more talented kids coming through than there are talented players on the lists right now.

Last edited:

tier 1 finals range
1. Collingwood
2. Adelaide
3. Melbourne
4. Fremantle
5. Brisbane
6. North Melbourne

tier 2 mid range
7. Carlton
8. Western Bulldogs
10. Richmond

tier 3 bottom range
11. West Coast Eagles
12. Geelong
13. Gold Coast Suns
14. St Kilda
Yeah that seems about right. Having said that, Geelong could end up in tier 2 this year and GWS could slip down to tier 3 with the way things are going this year.

I’d be a bit worried if I was a Blues fan.
Lost a heap of quality players
On the slide down the ladder
Prespakis has said in the past that playing footy with the Blues was her job but she barracked for Essendon

What will she do?

Monahan playing some good footy.

Would have been very handy about now.
She played well for Brisbane, like the Monahan of old - something went awry!!~!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back