Training 2021/22 Preseason Thread Lessssf*ngo

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there training this week?

Heard nothing, seen nothing, absence of track watchers reporting anything.
Has the heat mercy rule been brought in?
A bunch of them are swimming at Gooram Falls going off Instagram, so yes it look like the heat mercy rule is in place.

Or like some they've alk taken an RDO before Australia day.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Just regarding Luke, when assessing his ceiling, I don't necessarily look at the Richmond game which is obviously his best 4 quarter performance statistically.

I look more at these types of examples:

• Round 1 Port Adelaide, 1st Quarter - 11 Disposals 1 Goal*
  • Round 9 Hawthorn, 3rd Quarter - 11 Disposals 1 Goal*

He changed the course of the game for us, accumulating & hitting the scoreboard, whilst being highly influential in our midfield dominance. Obviously his engine knocks limit doing this for longer then 1 quarter currently, however improving this is how he reaches the levels we hope.

*Can't find a site that shows stats breakdown per quarter, but these are approx. from memory.
Screenshot_20220125-142510_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20220125-142555_AFL.jpg

Just regarding Luke, when assessing his ceiling, I don't necessarily look at the Richmond game which is obviously his best 4 quarter performance statistically.

I look more at these types of examples:

• Round 1 Port Adelaide, 1st Quarter - 11 Disposals 1 Goal*
  • Round 9 Hawthorn, 3rd Quarter - 11 Disposals 1 Goal*

He changed the course of the game for us, accumulating & hitting the scoreboard, whilst being highly influential in our midfield dominance. Obviously his engine knocks limit doing this for longer then 1 quarter currently, however improving this is how he reaches the levels we hope.

*Can't find a site that shows stats breakdown per quarter, but these are approx. from memory.
I guess you could look at all this in totality - he's tracking in the right direction 💪

Luke Davies-Uniacke is probably one of the more interesting players on our list. Somebody mentioned Daniel Wells and it wouldn't shock me if we look back on his career in the same way.

We spent Wells' career waiting for the breakout year that never happened, but when we look back we see the career of an incredible player who won us plenty of games off his own boot. Wells may even be best described as a Top 50 player that could have been a top 15 player. You can argue about those exact ranges, but the sentiment stays the same.

LDU has all the talent in the world but will be mentally off sometimes. He'll struggle to pick the ball up occasionally, he'll not go as hard as he should in some contests, and he'll have the weeks where he never gets out of second gear. The talent is obviously there, but I think a lot of us have the same concern that we'll never see him have the year that we all know he is capable of. If I was ranking our young talent, I'd have him behind a fair few in terms of most likely to be AA, but near the absolute top of the list of most likely to be a Norm Smith medalist. Just like how if we had made a Grand Final in that 2014-2016 period, I'm sure a lot of us would have had $50 on Wells to win the Norm Smith medal.

Yeah, not sure what the media fascination is with the Good Friday game.

So big deal, the Bulldogs, who got humped in the grand final, put through a blitzkrieg against us and we were as ripe as the French were back in the day for a thrashing. Flat track bullies anyone?

We were no where near as bad 3 months later.

"The South Australian had a stellar season with Glenelg in 2021"...
Also noted the framing of the Good Friday game.

Granted the standalone game against the Dogs once again in 2022, North will be hoping to redeem themselves on the prime time stage and fill the stands at Marvel Stadium after two Covid disrupted seasons left some seats empty.

Then later says this:

The AFL seem to have granted North Melbourne the license to make this fixture their own.

Sick of campaigners constantly questioning our legitimacy? I am.

Always the question about whether we deserve the spot or are even gonna get it, instead of just accepting it like every other game. Similar to the constant questioning whether we are secure in Melbourne even after the Arden development has been on the cards for years. Comments about our financial viability as we were paying off debt and improving facilities at Arden St.

Constantly having your legitimacy questioned.

This is what racism is like.

Yes, of course we have to prove ourselves on Good Friday, especially after last year.

Because its our gig and last year was a disgrace

Not for any other reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another time, I was at a club back in the day - mighta been Honky Tonks. This bloke comes up to me and says, ‘You got any Gary Ablett's?’.
I had no idea what we was talking about. He just kept asking.
In the end, I said to him - mate, I have no idea what you’re on about.
‘Tablets mate. Do you have any pills?’. WTF? No. I don’t - not for you anyway.
Something off about him. I reckon he was under cover and trying to be cool. Stood out like dogs balls with that sh*te.
Maybe but "Gary Abletts" is probably quite clever too given what he was like, never heard it before tho. You won't spot good undercovers but there are plenty of s**t ones.

Luke Davies-Uniacke is probably one of the more interesting players on our list. Somebody mentioned Daniel Wells and it wouldn't shock me if we look back on his career in the same way.

We spent Wells' career waiting for the breakout year that never happened, but when we look back we see the career of an incredible player who won us plenty of games off his own boot. Wells may even be best described as a Top 50 player that could have been a top 15 player. You can argue about those exact ranges, but the sentiment stays the same.

LDU has all the talent in the world but will be mentally off sometimes. He'll struggle to pick the ball up occasionally, he'll not go as hard as he should in some contests, and he'll have the weeks where he never gets out of second gear. The talent is obviously there, but I think a lot of us have the same concern that we'll never see him have the year that we all know he is capable of. If I was ranking our young talent, I'd have him behind a fair few in terms of most likely to be AA, but near the absolute top of the list of most likely to be a Norm Smith medalist. Just like how if we had made a Grand Final in that 2014-2016 period, I'm sure a lot of us would have had $50 on Wells to win the Norm Smith medal.
His dad has been dying of cancer since just after he joined the club and died last year.

Before the bye last year he averaged a pinch over 20 possessions in 9 games. But he only got over 20 possession just over half the time (5 games) and three of those were the three games before the bye. His two highest disposal games were in that group as well.

After the bye he averaged 23.5 possessions for the rest of the season.

That is a massive improvement after the bye, or technically since about round 8. (Three games before he averaged just under 23.)

Obviously as he matured he improved over the year and whatever the shitness of his dad's illness once its over there's closure. The worst has happened and its time to get on with things. It was the biggest thing in his future with all the associated pain and uncertainty, now footy is.

For me the biggest question mark over LDU is whether he can stay on the park.

Otherwise his ceiling is 40 touch, four goal games.

He's 1 year behind in development due to injury early in his career and another 6 months + due to poor coaching by previous administration. Looking forward to him having a similar year like brayshaw had in 2021. He'll put in good numbers but you gotta remember our midfield/forwards are a lot more stacked than most younger sides. Happy with 25 a game from him with some tackles and pressure acts tbh.

He's 1 year behind in development due to injury early in his career and another 6 months + due to poor coaching by previous administration. Looking forward to him having a similar year like brayshaw had in 2021. He'll put in good numbers but you gotta remember our midfield/forwards are a lot more stacked than most younger sides. Happy with 25 a game from him with some tackles and pressure acts tbh.
I’d be absolutely stoked with 25 a game!

I don't think LDU is ever likely to be a Brownlow medalist, top 5 midfielder type, I hope so, but I think he lacks that final 10% of urgency in his game to ever reach that absolute top level.

He's not particularly good defensively and he's hot and cold with his footskills at times.

In saying all that, he does have a boatload of positives, he's only getting bigger, will be borderline unmovable in his late 20's and has unique pace and power for a guy of that body size and shape. As you said, he's improved consistently every year in the league, which is really underrated, especially given how many setbacks he's had.

I honestly think the Josh P. Kennedy "with pace" predictions pre-draft are spot on. He's a 250+ gamer, maybe a 2 x AA, that is consistently in the best 10-20 midfielders in the league for most of his mid-late 20's.

I see that as where he ends up, which would still be one of the best midfielders we've produced in the last 35 years.

We are fortunate in that we've drafted some absolute game breaking midfielders recently, so there's less pressure for him to be Chris Judd, we just need a Josh Kennedy.

He might not end up top 5, but I think he has all the attributes to do it.

I really don’t see his urgency as an issue tbh. Generally at stoppages, in traffic he seems to just go to work. At times in 2020, he probably tried to do too much to be fair, but I thought he really got that balance right during 2021.

Admittedly, he isn’t that great defensively, but are either of the best really that great defensively? Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Bont, Petracca, just from the current crop. Do they really run defensively? No, they rely on others because they’re all an offensive weapon.

His foot skills can be an issue, but they can also be a weapon at times also. He is going to have days where it clicks and some days not so much. Again some of the AFL elite in Fyfe and Dangerfield have the same problem.

I honestly think his biggest hurdle from reaching the names above, is if he has the tank to compete. If he can manage to compete and stay in the game for longer, he could be right up there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

LDU has some weapons which make him an exciting player to watch. He also drives himself to impact on the game at important moments. The really top tier players are in the game from minute 1 to the final seconds. Not sure he will be this guy. But hes awesome to watch and at the various least complements the other guys we have in the team.

It’s less likely we will see some explosion of improvement from him and more likely he will fine tune his game - smoothing out some rough edges and improving endurance etc.

I really like this guy. We’ve got a lot to look forward to over the next decade watching him play.

His dad has been dying of cancer since just after he joined the club and died last year.

Before the bye last year he averaged a pinch over 20 possessions in 9 games. But he only got over 20 possession just over half the time (5 games) and three of those were the three games before the bye. His two highest disposal games were in that group as well.

After the bye he averaged 23.5 possessions for the rest of the season.

That is a massive improvement after the bye, or technically since about round 8. (Three games before he averaged just under 23.)

Obviously as he matured he improved over the year and whatever the shitness of his dad's illness once its over there's closure. The worst has happened and its time to get on with things. It was the biggest thing in his future with all the associated pain and uncertainty, now footy is.

For me the biggest question mark over LDU is whether he can stay on the park.

Otherwise his ceiling is 40 touch, four goal games.
Almost word for word what I would have written. He has had a much tougher than average run than most on and off field and IMO close to one of the surest things on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back