Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis - NM have been informed by JHF's management that he will seek a trade to SA [contracted for 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mick played his opponents as well as any fullback could be expected to a few of them still probably averaged 3+ on him.

Was an era spoilt for riches in terms of excellent forwards.
Importantly, there was no defensive zones etc. Even Dunstall and Lockett would struggle to kick 100 goals in today's footy

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes Horne-Francis is perfectly suited to the high half forward role, I just don’t see the Ablett comparison.

Maybe if he goes bald on top but tries to hang on to the back of his mullet he might look like him a bit…but that’s about all.

If you watch his highlights from the Prelim, it ain’t much different to Ablett Sr at his best, when he was at Hawthorn alongside Matthews (ie: first 6 games). Not his actual best but search Gary Ablett Sr Hawthorn and the similarities are uncanny IMO.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1643009017659.png

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
Importantly, there was no defensive zones etc. Even Dunstall and Lockett would struggle to kick 100 goals in today's footy
Unpopular opinion but they'd be no chance. Current players are bigger, stronger, fitter and better coached. Seeing the highlights of pre 2000's forwards getting an acre of space to lead into looks ludicrous now.

But to stay on topic I want Horne to improve as the season progresses and hopefully not hit too much of a rookie wall.
20 games (rested twice), average 14 disposals and a goal playing mostly forward.
10 highlights that make you realise he's going to be a star.
He and the club form a great bond and winning culture.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If you watch his highlights from the Prelim, it ain’t much different to Ablett Sr at his best, when he was at Hawthorn alongside Matthews (ie: first 6 games). Not his actual best but search Gary Ablett Sr Hawthorn and the similarities are uncanny IMO.
Their running gait is eerily similar

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mick played his opponents as well as any fullback could be expected to a few of them still probably averaged 3+ on him.

Was an era spoilt for riches in terms of excellent forwards.

Modra always seemed to play pretty well on him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes Horne-Francis is perfectly suited to the high half forward role, I just don’t see the Ablett comparison.

Maybe if he goes bald on top but tries to hang on to the back of his mullet he might look like him a bit…but that’s about all.

If you can’t see similarities with Ablett snr (80’s era) then I can’t help you.

I just went through his 10 minute highlight package to point out each similarity, but there are honestly too many to point out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Fair enough.

1 would say 1982 Ablett is what we can expect of Jason.

They run the same, they are strong and super powerful, booming Half Forwards.

They both have little hunch back of Notre Dam and enormous rumps.

He has an standing jump which allows him to play taller ala Ablett, his nous and ability to hold his position against stronger players is also a similarity with what Snr was able to produce later in his career.

Also the want to lay body on body and be a physical presence.

He could be in our top handful of players already.

Love the kid already and I have high expectations for him (except for endurance, but that’ll come in time), but maybe we can temper the expectations a touch. I definitely see the physical similarities to Ablett though.

Last edited:

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

He has an standing jump which allows him to play taller ala Ablett, his nous and ability to hold his position against stronger players is also a similarity with what Snr was able to produce later in his career.

"Could be".. pffft.

Runs like Ablett, waddles like Matthews when he walks.

If Perkins was " who boys want to be and girls want to be with", what does that make Jason?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

For anyone on the board who remembers Ablett crossing to Geelong, was he rated by general football followers at the time? Was the degree of his success at the cats a shock?

guapo

All Australian
Aug 24, 2005
fitzroy
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
For anyone on the board who remembers Ablett crossing to Geelong, was he rated by general football followers at the time? Was the degree of his success at the cats a shock?

He was the third Ablett brother on the hawks list and he was rated highly by the club.

The general footy public likely expected him to be like his older brothers (fast and flashy). Nobody expected a 1000+ goal, top 3 player of all time career.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He was the third Ablett brother on the hawks list and he was rated highly by the club.

The general footy public likely expected him to be like his older brothers (fast and flashy). Nobody expected a 1000+ goal, top 3 player of all time career.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

yes well according to this thread Ablett will top 4 within 5 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back