NFL 2021 AFC Championship Game - Cincinnati at Kansas City

Loved all of that. Was discussed a couple of days ago. Love the reference just play schoolyard ball or something like that. The connection between Mahomes and Kelce is next level. To run a route that’s not in the playbook and Mahomes still putting it on a dime is crazy execution from both.
Highlights the value of experience in big games/moments

My question is what happens if he doesn't run the route as called, they stuff it up and lose the game?
How does the coach respond to that, or with players of his calibre you take it because the times it does come off make him who he is.

Would be interesting to see the coaching points.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
My question is what happens if he doesn't run the route as called, they stuff it up and lose the game?
How does the coach respond to that, or with players of his calibre you take it because the times it does come off make him who he is.

Would be interesting to see the coaching points.
Most coaches will take the blame. While in the 2min drill the QB does tend to call the plays, they are plays practiced weekly. Most teams will have 1 day a week for 2min drills and redzone packages.

So the players will know what the calls are but the coaches will have plays in the 2min drills that are designed to be used that week. So its not like the coaches wont know what calls are coming up. Based on the formation or any motion used they will look at the playsheet and know what the play is before the ball is snapped.

QB's will also take the blame if a player runs the wrong route. Most senior players or at least leaders will always take the blame for mistakes, even if they are not the only one at fault.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mahomes and other top QBs would definitely have ability to change plays at the LOS, and to also hot route receivers routes, communicate to them to change a route etc. You see that often when a QB stands pre-snap, and calls out words, points places, makes hand signs to receivers etc.

A number of young inexperienced or shithouse QBs would not have that freedom. Run the play called.

All comes with time, and relationship built with the HC and/or OC.

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
At the risk of offtherails saying I’m not a legit lover of football. What’s the bengals defense like? I haven’t paid much attention to them at all. Are they capable of covering Hill and Kelce and forcing Mahomes to throw to his third option; can they put pressure on Mahomes

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
At the risk of offtherails saying I’m not a legit lover of football. What’s the bengals defense like? I haven’t paid much attention to them at all. Are they capable of covering Hill and Kelce and forcing Mahomes to throw to his third option; can they put pressure on Mahomes
They played each other about three weeks ago and beat them, restricted mahomes to about 250 yards passing.

Constantgin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2020
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFG , Pacers, ND, Gunners
They played each other about three weeks ago and beat them, restricted mahomes to about 250 yards passing.

Mahomes is a different qb in the playoffs thou.
Plus Bengal's played that game at home with one is at KC.
And KC didnt have CEH or Mckinnon playing
And only won by 3 and that took a 266 yard 3 td day from chase.

I think this game isnt even close.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Mahomes is a different qb in the playoffs thou.
Plus Bengal's played that game at home with one is at KC.
And KC didnt have CEH or Mckinnon playing
And only won by 3 and that took a 266 yard 3 td day from chase.

I think this game isnt even close.

Yeah agree and I think that’s the fear of many. That’s why plenty are trying to find a case for Cinci. I think the chiefs do it comfortably.

Not sure if I can take another off-season of the whole football population jerking off Mahomes

Is this how Brady haters have felt the past 2 decades? A11dAtP0w3R

Maybe, the difference being Mahomes is the 2007 version of Brady every season

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was it good coverage? Pressure? Chiefs taking foot off the pedal
Bengals D relies on the DL. They play a kind of one and a half gap system. A hybrid of having DL shoot gaps, and DL taking on blockers. Allows them to rush the passer, but also prevent the OL from getting up to the second level on run plays, rubbing out the LBs. We saw that how Reader totally destroyed the Titans.

So on the back of that DL system, the LBs are able to play foot loose and free, drop in coverage, or blitz, a bit more freely, not so stuck on defending against the run, and liable in coverage or play-action.

Meanwhile, the Bengals DBs play a very aggressive style. They come up and hit often. Also, the coverage shells by the Bengals DC is pretty tricky. He disguises blitzes and shells very well, has almost a sixth sense when to call them.

Also, Bengals DC has a particular method of overload blitzes that take advantage of the QBs hot routing. Dropping guys back in behind those overloaded sides. Kind of knowing QBs will look to exploit that particular spot and thus fall for it.

Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe, the difference being Mahomes is the 2007 version of Brady every season
Mahomes has had more help on offense his whole career than Brady has had 90% of his seasons.

He's a generational player who could end up with better accolades than Brady, it's just the gap between him and other young QB's is not as big as portrayed.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mahomes has had more help on offense his whole career than Brady has had 90% of his seasons.

He's a generational player who could end up with better accolades than Brady, it's just the gap between him and other young QB's is not as big as portrayed.
If Mahomes had the early 2000s Pats defences he would be going for a 4peat this year

FWIW , Hil was a 5th round pick, Kelce was a 3rd. The notion hes been given all this talent is pretty absurd, Mahomes play is a good part of the reason why they are so good.

surely you dont base WR ratings on rings, ffs. Thats even more messed up than ranking QBs over rings.
Odd that you’d bring up a player who effectively played only two seasons with Brady who won without him.

Odd that you’d bring up a player who effectively played only two seasons with Brady who won without him.

he was there for four actually , and Brady had his best statistical year with Moss

Re 2007:" Brady set his own records that year, recording 4,806 passing yards and 50 touchdown passes. Moss would spend four seasons with the Patriots, recording 259 catches for 3,904 yards and 50 touchdowns"

Those numbers 14 years ago in a 16 game season would be like putting up 6000 yards and 60 touchdowns

he was there for four actually , and Brady had his best statistical year with Moss

Re 2007: Brady set his own records that year, recording 4,806 passing yards and 50 touchdown passes. Moss would spend four seasons with the Patriots, recording 259 catches for 3,904 yards and 50 touchdowns.
No, his second season Brady was out with knee…final season Moss played 2-3 games

Back