BBL The Challenger Adelaide Strikers v Sydney Sixers @ the SCG Weds Jan 26 1855 ACDT

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If it wasn’t for international rules not allowing runners for injured batsmen, we wouldn’t be talking about this.
Silk would’ve been allowed a runner
CA is free to use their own playing conditions, which they do, hence the surge and other playing conditions unique to the BBL. imo CA have actually ended up with an even more insane rule than the straight up ban of them: "The umpires shall allow a runner for a batter if they are satisfied.......that the batting side has lost its 9th wicket". That is very silly imo.

I don’t mind sending a bloke back out after he’s injured himself in his innings but I don’t reckon you should get the option if he’s already injured, that’s their fault for taking the gamble on him (hard to police obviously).

Duty of care will probably be the reason. You cant force an injured batsman to stay out there even if he was injured.

Joe Root retired ill in the SCG test 4 years ago come back on and batted. Then went off again and didn't come back.

Anything that breaks up the orthodoxy is a good thing imo. We still see too many batters give up the strike to an inferior batter because they don't want to be seen as selfish (Kerr to an extent was guilt of this by taking the single on ball 2 of the last over). Silk had a purpose when on strike. He no longer had one when he was off-strike. I hope CA doesn't chicken out and put in a playing condition preventing it in the future.

I don’t mind sending a bloke back out after he’s injured himself in his innings but I don’t reckon you should get the option if he’s already injured, that’s their fault for taking the gamble on him (hard to police obviously).

It is fine. Wouldn’t have made a difference anyway that last ball was pathetic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you should not be able to retire hurt if you go out onto the field to bat with an injury.
Of course you should.
A player could have a minor injury, they go out and it gets worse on field or they become in more pain. They were okay when they went out, but there's a point they are no longer fit to play.

In my day, anyone could have a runner so long as the injury wasn't pre existing

When did that change?

Huh? I’m honestly confused where you are coming from, he was good last season

He personally says that white ball cricket isn't his game. Ball stops swinging after two overs and swing is his weapon. Much more effective in red ball cricket and much prefers that. Doesn't have great death bowling skills and "gets met" - again, these are his words, direct from his mouth (to me so not in print, so you can take them or leave them)

Missed stumping and the catch cost them but gee Conway bowls pump at the death. No yorkers, slower balls in the slot. Lucky he got away with it last game

Weird happenings with the runner. It "feels wrong" for some reason even though it isnt but had they taken catches and bowled at the death better it wouldnt be an issue.

Administrators lucky Strikers didnt win it really. A team winning it with a worse w/l record than strs who didnt qualify wouldnt be a great look..

One thing is for sure. Change is needed next season. BBL is in dire straights the covid excuse wont wash any longer imo

So Perth win the final? Easy money
I think you'd be silly to rule out the Sixers. They're a hugely professional franchise, and in T20s it only takes a couple of special efforts from individuals to win a match. Scorchers favourites, but it isn't a sure thing by any stretch.

In my day, anyone could have a runner so long as the injury wasn't pre existing

When did that change?

Few years ago. Was getting exploited by fat blokes namely Ranatunga (former SL captain) who did it routinely

Back