Women's Footy AFLW 2022 - Alyce Parker named in AA Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty clearly up to the team. If her teammates don't feel comfortable about her beliefs, then something needs to be done. She obviously has no issue playing with the girls - just with a particular jumper. But it's not like the teammates are out there demanding she gets removed (at the moment, at any rate).

It's just an unfortunate distraction so far.

It's pretty clearly up to the team. If her teammates don't feel comfortable about her beliefs, then something needs to be done. She obviously has no issue playing with the girls - just with a particular jumper. But it's not like the teammates are out there demanding she gets removed (at the moment, at any rate).

It's just an unfortunate distraction so far.

I’d say that the LBTGQ community, fans, and sponsors can feel extremely let down by her hate stance as well.

It's pretty clearly up to the team.
What about Harvey Norman? A player refusing to wear the team jumper due to its support of the LGBTIQ+ community isn't really a good look for the organisation and its values. If Qantas had influence in Folau being removed from the Wallabies, surely Gerry Harvey gets a say here.

A few non-GWS posters having their say too, but I vehemently disagree with the posted thoughts in the three preceding posts.

It's a collision of beliefs - but some posters want to put one set of beliefs up above others? Presumably because those posting actually support one set over a different set. So, intolerant of other views? Yet others will have a different view.

The article states that Haneen has talked this out with the other women on the team, and they are OK with her having her own beliefs. I suspect being strong in your own beliefs is something most of them understand very well.

Nonetheless, it is a shame. I would prefer to see her play, even if just wearing a normal strip. It's unclear if the decision not to play at all is her decision or the club's, though.

While Voltaire might not be the most appropriate to quote on a religious matter, nevertheless I'll co-opt his saying as being relevant in this case: “I wholly disapprove of what you say—and will defend to the death your right to say it.”
I dont support one set of beliefs over another.

This won’t end well for the club or her unfortunately.

When she said she can’t play in a jumper that supports gay people she is saying she hates gay people and it’s ok to demean them. Obviously.

Um thats a very big leap from the first one to second one youre making an assumption that isnt grounded in fact.

2022 AFLW - Round 4 v Western Bulldogs
OK, let's get back to the actual footy.

Unfortunately, it would appear there's a COVID outbreak at the Giants, with a few players out due to "AFL Health & Safety Protocols", so several debutants coming in for this game. Plus Haneen out.

Friday night footy will welcome two debutants and a new GIANT when the GIANTS take on the Western Bulldogs and celebrate Pride Round at Henson Park. Casidhe Simmons and Brodee Mowbray will debut for the GIANTS while former Kangaroo Jas Grierson will play her first game for the club.

Also into the side are defenders Louise Stephenson and Libby Graham.

Simmons is a former heptathlete that has brought her athletic abilities across to AFL and has shone playing for UNSW-ES Bulldogs in the AFL Sydney competition. The 26-year-old averaged two goals a game in the local competition and was selected at pick 60 in the most recent Draft.

Mowbray is a tough and speedy midfielder and forward who has a reputation for being a strong tackler and being able to hunt the ball well around the contest. The 19-year-old was one of the best performing players in the AFL Sydney competition in 2021 and was a member of the Allies squad. The GIANTS selected Mowbray at pick 55 in the most recent Draft.

23-year-old Grierson has played 32 games in the AFLW competition since beginning at the Demons for the inaugural season. She spent two seasons at Casey Fields before moving to North Melbourne for their first season in the competition and played 19 games there over the past three seasons. The defender joined the GIANTS ahead of the 2022 season and is playing her first game for the season.

Rebecca Privitelli, Chloe Dalton, Pepa Randall and Katie Loynes will all miss the match due to the AFL’s Health and Safety protocols, while Haneen Zrekia won’t play for personal reasons. Tait Mackrill, who missed the round three match due to suspension, was also unavailable for selection under the AFL’s Health and Safety protocols.

I think it will be a tough night for the first home game of the season.

B: J.Grierson 10 E.Lorenzini 25
HB: T.Hetherington 9 G.Garnett 17 A.Lister 14
C: A.Eva (C) 2 A.Parker 3 N.Barr 8
HF: C.Staunton 19 C.Simmons 28 A.Dallaway 30
F: K.Smith 4 A.Morphett 22
Foll: E.McKinnon 23 L.Graham 37 L.Steane 20
I/C: B.Stack 15 L.Stephenson B.Mowbray 31 E.Pease 33 J.Doyle 5
Emerg: TBA

In: C.Simmons, B.Mowbray, J.Grierson, L.Stephenson, L.Graham
Out: R.Privitelli, C.Dalton, P. Randall, K.Loynes, (Health & Safety protocols); H.Zreika (personal reasons)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, let's get back to the actual footy.

Unfortunately, it would appear there's a COVID outbreak at the Giants, with a few players out due to "AFL Health & Safety Protocols", so several debutants coming in for this game. Plus Haneen out.

Friday night footy will welcome two debutants and a new GIANT when the GIANTS take on the Western Bulldogs and celebrate Pride Round at Henson Park. Casidhe Simmons and Brodee Mowbray will debut for the GIANTS while former Kangaroo Jas Grierson will play her first game for the club.

Also into the side are defenders Louise Stephenson and Libby Graham.

Simmons is a former heptathlete that has brought her athletic abilities across to AFL and has shone playing for UNSW-ES Bulldogs in the AFL Sydney competition. The 26-year-old averaged two goals a game in the local competition and was selected at pick 60 in the most recent Draft.

Mowbray is a tough and speedy midfielder and forward who has a reputation for being a strong tackler and being able to hunt the ball well around the contest. The 19-year-old was one of the best performing players in the AFL Sydney competition in 2021 and was a member of the Allies squad. The GIANTS selected Mowbray at pick 55 in the most recent Draft.

23-year-old Grierson has played 32 games in the AFLW competition since beginning at the Demons for the inaugural season. She spent two seasons at Casey Fields before moving to North Melbourne for their first season in the competition and played 19 games there over the past three seasons. The defender joined the GIANTS ahead of the 2022 season and is playing her first game for the season.

Rebecca Privitelli, Chloe Dalton, Pepa Randall and Katie Loynes will all miss the match due to the AFL’s Health and Safety protocols, while Haneen Zrekia won’t play for personal reasons. Tait Mackrill, who missed the round three match due to suspension, was also unavailable for selection under the AFL’s Health and Safety protocols.

I think it will be a tough night for the first home game of the season.
Very tough night. Will show the same fight they did last week to try and get back into it though.

I dont know how to feel about this.

In general I'm really against people weaponsing religion to marginalise groups (more often than not the LGTB community. Ive always thought that religion should dictate your behavior not others.

in this case, she isnt quite doing this, she isnt stopping others from doing there thing, but isnt prepared to support it. I dont think this is quite the same.

I kinda dont like it, as it feels like it is a slap at them, but by the same token, I dont like the idea of her being forced to support something against her religious beliefs either.

This is a real grey area for me.

If you’re not trying to change things you’re part of the problem.

Thats a separate issue (and is a valid one) but has nothing to do with your post. You were saying that her decision not to wear the jumper means she hates gay people when you haveno way of knowing that unless you know her personally. I dont agree with her choice personally but your logic is still not correct in the conclusion youre drawing..as i said theres a huge difference between A and B.

What about Harvey Norman? A player refusing to wear the team jumper due to its support of the LGBTIQ+ community isn't really a good look for the organisation and its values. If Qantas had influence in Folau being removed from the Wallabies, surely Gerry Harvey gets a say here.
Boy, if only there were words for how little I cared for how much Gerry Harvey cares about anything.

No different to Usman Khawaja disappearing from the men's cricket team Ashes' win celebration photo before the alcohol comes out and gets sprayed around.

Clash of different "social agendas", for want of a better description.

I have to disagree with you here.

Not drinking alcohol is a cultural practice, which anyone can choose to participate in. Same-sex attracted people have no choice in being who they are. They get rejected on existential grounds.

That was the idea behind the Pride Round - the equality of all - which this player is seen to be rejecting. It is very disappointing.

Not drinking alcohol is a cultural practice, which anyone can choose to participate in. Same-sex attracted people have no choice in being who they are. They get rejected on existential grounds.
They are no different within the Muslim religion. Both are equally forbidden.

This is not about what you or I think; it's about what the Muslim religion tells its adherents.

I'm sure Haneen has had to make some religious compromises thus far to play AFL and rugby league - no hijab, uncovered legs and arms. I would think that she's pushed the tolerance within her own community ... and wearing the pride jersey would seem to be just a step too far.

I don't want to descend into a more fundamental debate on religion; the bottom line for me is simply tolerance for others' beliefs. (Yes, there are limits in my mind, but this case is nowhere near those.) The world is a complex place and sometimes the result is not warm and fuzzy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back