NAB AFLW Round Four – Updated Fixture

Thursday, January 27STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. FremantleVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:40pm5:40pm
Friday, January 28
GWS GIANTS vs. Western BulldogsHenson Park (NSW) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
St. Kilda vs. West Coast EaglesSkyBus Stadium (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm
Saturday, January 29
Adelaide Crows vs. MelbourneNorwood Oval (SA) (Seven)3:10pm2:40pm
Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong CatsMaroochydore Multi Sports Complex (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Sunday, January 30
Carlton vs. KangaroosIkon Park (VIC) (Seven)3:10pm3:10pm
Gold Coast SUNS vs. RichmondMetricon Stadium (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Additional Matches*
Tuesday, February 1STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. West Coast EaglesVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
Western Bulldogs vs. FremantleWhitten Oval (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm

The scheduled Round Six match between Collingwood and the West Coast Eagles and the scheduled Round 10 match between the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle will be played on Tuesday, February 1.

AFL General Manager Competition Management Laura Kane said while the ongoing pandemic continues to impact the 2022 NAB AFL Women’s Competition, the AFL remains committed to delivering a full season in a safe manner anchored in the advice of respective governments and public health officials.

“We remain committed to completing the season and awarding a Premier and the updates to the fixture aim to provide the competition with greater flexibility as we progress the season,” Ms. Kane said.

“The decision to schedule additional matches to the fixture for Fremantle and the West Coast Eagles was made in close consultation and with strong support from each Club following updates to border restrictions relating to Western Australia.

“We remain cognisant of the outside-football commitments of many players and staff from WA who are currently on the road in Victoria, and we thank them for their commitment and understanding.

“The league will continue to work closely with each club and the AFLPA, and will remain led by the advice of respective state governments and relevant health authorities as we work through arrangements for the coming rounds. I want to thank the AFLPA for working with us to provide the flexibility required to progress the season.

“Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs will participate in the additional games with the Magpies to have a five-day break between their Round Four game and their match-up against the Eagles next Tuesday night. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are ready to return for Round Four after two weeks of no matches due to AFL Health and Safety Protocols.

“For the time being, the fixture remains a week-to-week proposition, and as such, we want to thank every AFLW Club, players and the AFLPA, umpires, venues, governments, ticketing agents and all supporters for their understanding.”

Ticketing Update
  • For supporters who have purchased tickets to matches in Round Four, those tickets remain valid. The Ticketing Agent will be in contact should any ticket purchaser wish to receive a refund.
  • Details of ticketing for the additional matches - Collingwood vs. West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs vs. Fremantle – will be released separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
If her employer requires her to wear a rainbow uniform as part of the job and her beliefs/religion don't permit this she should be seeking employment elsewhere.

She is entitled to her own beliefs but if these interfere with her ability to do the job she is paid for then she has to go.
If Zreika gets deregistered for this (which I doubt she would by the way), then I will not spend anymore time supporting AFLW. If the AFL does a similar thing, then I will no longer follow the AFL either.

But, I don’t think the AFLW and AFL are going to get rid of her just because she did not want to wear the rainbow guernsey. GWS literally represents Western Sydney (it has a high Muslim population), so they will probably end up losing support there if they did this.

Just odd that it hasn't generated the "outrage" that you'd expect it to in this day and age. I thought it would be all over the main board. I don't care for religion (and people who hide behind it) though I am certain many religious players wouldn't have an issue wearing it. I guess the individual involved has an issue with homosexuals and it begs the question what future she has in the sport given the large amount of openly gay players.

If Zreika gets deregistered for this (which I doubt she would by the way), then I will not spend anymore time supporting AFLW. If the AFL does a similar thing, then I will no longer follow the AFL either.

But, I don’t think the AFLW and AFL are going to get rid of her just because she did not want to wear the rainbow guernsey. GWS literally represents Western Sydney (it has a high Muslim population), so they will probably end up losing support there if they did this.

What if she simply gets delisted, rather than deregistered? Maybe the club will decide they prefer players who are available every week, and who won't bring negative press upon them every year?

Just odd that it hasn't generated the "outrage" that you'd expect it to in this day and age. I thought it would be all over the main board. I don't care for religion (and people who hide behind it) though I am certain many religious players wouldn't have an issue wearing it. I guess the individual involved has an issue with homosexuals and it begs the question what future she has in the sport given the large amount of openly gay players.

I mean, it's literally only happened hours ago. Most people probably haven't heard about it yet.

What if she simply gets delisted, rather than deregistered? Maybe the club will decide they prefer players who are available every week, and who won't bring negative press upon them every year?
If she gets delisted by GWS, then I will not support GWS (even though I don’t to begin with lol).

I will probably still watch AFLW though because it wouldn't be the league not allowing a Muslim to be Muslim.

Having said that, I don’t think GWS will delist her on this basis either. If it was in any club’s interest not to upset the Muslim population by taking adverse action against Zreika, then it would be GWS because of the large Muslim population there.

lots of fire power, even without Duffy down there causing chaos
I really thought their scoring would decline with Duffy out, but they’re so potent that it makes it difficult to do anything given how good their defence and midfield is

It’s literally against the Religion of Islam to support LGBTQ practices. The rainbow jumper represents support of those practices.

I’m very proud that Haneen Zreika stood up for her beliefs and ideals. She takes her faith seriously and as a Muslim myself, I respect that. In fact, I would have done the same thing. We simply don’t toss away our ideals just to please the sportspeople in those “changerooms”.

Yes, consequences come with actions, but any adverse consequence is worth persevering through if it means keeping our faith intact.
Sure. And she should be deregistered given people who have done similarly have lost their jobs.
Djokovic, Liam Jones, Israel F etc.

Reality check for the Pies tonight after wins against three of the bottom sides in the first three rounds. Freo have dominated this game from start to finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was a shitty thing to do. At best you could say he was ignorant, but frankly I don't buy the ignorance excuse either.

One thing I'm not sure on was whether it was a club decision for everyone to kneel in solidarity for the BLM movement, or if it was the individual players deciding collectively to do it. There's a subtle distinction. If it's a club-initiated show of support on an important societal issue, as you say, then his choosing to abstain from it is choosing to directly defy the club and would rightly come with consequences from the club. Whereas if it is an individual player-led thing, it would just mean he is separating himself from his teammates. Either way I think it's shitty, but in the former case the club would be absolutely in their rights to take punitive action.

It's a slightly different situation, anyway. De Kock didn't choose to withdraw from the match because he didn't want to kneel. If he had, then fair enough. That would be his choice and he would have stuck his flag in the ground for what he believed. Likewise here, I don't begrudge Zreika deciding she wants to abstain from the game because she doesn't want to associate herself with pride round. That's her choice and her belief. Personally I think it's a really shitty belief to hold, but hey. She's made her choice. Now she has to accept that it may come with consequences, including potentially losing her AFLW career.
De Kocks was a club wide direction.

I think it was a shitty thing to do. At best you could say he was ignorant, but frankly I don't buy the ignorance excuse either.

One thing I'm not sure on was whether it was a club decision for everyone to kneel in solidarity for the BLM movement, or if it was the individual players deciding collectively to do it. There's a subtle distinction. If it's a club-initiated show of support on an important societal issue, as you say, then his choosing to abstain from it is choosing to directly defy the club and would rightly come with consequences from the club. Whereas if it is an individual player-led thing, it would just mean he is separating himself from his teammates. Either way I think it's shitty, but in the former case the club would be absolutely in their rights to take punitive action.

It's a slightly different situation, anyway. De Kock didn't choose to withdraw from the match because he didn't want to kneel. If he had, then fair enough. That would be his choice and he would have stuck his flag in the ground for what he believed. Likewise here, I don't begrudge Zreika deciding she wants to abstain from the game because she doesn't want to associate herself with pride round. That's her choice and her belief. Personally I think it's a really shitty belief to hold, but hey. She's made her choice. Now she has to accept that it may come with consequences, including potentially losing her AFLW career.
That's my point. She can have those beliefs, I'm not attacking her for them, just that the consequences should be there and be aligned with similar examples over recent years.

Serious question: is it possible to identify as both Muslim and gay? Or are the two groups completely incompatible?

Why? Are you anti gay and Muslim?

Sure. And she should be deregistered given people who have done similarly have lost their jobs.
Djokovic, Liam Jones, Israel F etc.
And if she gets deregistered then that’s the end of AFLW for me. It’ll show me that AFLW is a xenophobic league only interested in Western movements and ideals. That doesn’t suit mine or other Muslim’s ideals so I expect that many will follow suit.

If AFL then does the same thing, then it’ll be the same thing for the AFL.

Given you support not supporting gay people I’m surprised you support aflw at all given it’s very high same sex players.

Or why you bother supporting the afl at all given inclusivity is a stated core principle.

To me, supporting a group that is largely made up of lesbians or a comp that lifts them up seems contradictory to your religion as you’ve stated it.

And if she gets deregistered then that’s the end of AFLW for me. It’ll show me that AFLW is a xenophobic league only interested in Western movements and ideals. That doesn’t suit mine or other Muslim’s ideals so I expect that many will follow suit.

If AFL then does the same thing, then it’ll be the same thing for the AFL.
By the sounds of it AFLW would be better off without you..
Your point there sounds Un-Australian. Which by the way is a western ideal.

Serious question: is it possible to identify as both Muslim and gay? Or are the two groups completely incompatible?
Yes it’s most definitely possible to identify as both Muslim and gay. As long as the person doesn’t believe that what they are doing is permissible.

It’s similar to a straight Muslim having sex without marriage. As long as they don’t believe fornication (i.e. sex without marriage) is permissible for them, then they will still be a Muslim.

Given you support not supporting gay people I’m surprised you support aflw at all given it’s very high same sex players.

Or why you bother supporting the afl at all given inclusivity is a stated core principle.

To me, supporting a group that is largely made up of lesbians or a comp that lifts them up seems contradictory to your religion as you’ve stated it.
It's an extraordinarily hypocritical view of the world isn't it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back