NAB AFLW Round Four – Updated Fixture

Thursday, January 27STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. FremantleVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:40pm5:40pm
Friday, January 28
GWS GIANTS vs. Western BulldogsHenson Park (NSW) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
St. Kilda vs. West Coast EaglesSkyBus Stadium (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm
Saturday, January 29
Adelaide Crows vs. MelbourneNorwood Oval (SA) (Seven)3:10pm2:40pm
Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong CatsMaroochydore Multi Sports Complex (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Sunday, January 30
Carlton vs. KangaroosIkon Park (VIC) (Seven)3:10pm3:10pm
Gold Coast SUNS vs. RichmondMetricon Stadium (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Additional Matches*
Tuesday, February 1STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. West Coast EaglesVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
Western Bulldogs vs. FremantleWhitten Oval (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm

The scheduled Round Six match between Collingwood and the West Coast Eagles and the scheduled Round 10 match between the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle will be played on Tuesday, February 1.

AFL General Manager Competition Management Laura Kane said while the ongoing pandemic continues to impact the 2022 NAB AFL Women’s Competition, the AFL remains committed to delivering a full season in a safe manner anchored in the advice of respective governments and public health officials.

“We remain committed to completing the season and awarding a Premier and the updates to the fixture aim to provide the competition with greater flexibility as we progress the season,” Ms. Kane said.

“The decision to schedule additional matches to the fixture for Fremantle and the West Coast Eagles was made in close consultation and with strong support from each Club following updates to border restrictions relating to Western Australia.

“We remain cognisant of the outside-football commitments of many players and staff from WA who are currently on the road in Victoria, and we thank them for their commitment and understanding.

“The league will continue to work closely with each club and the AFLPA, and will remain led by the advice of respective state governments and relevant health authorities as we work through arrangements for the coming rounds. I want to thank the AFLPA for working with us to provide the flexibility required to progress the season.

“Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs will participate in the additional games with the Magpies to have a five-day break between their Round Four game and their match-up against the Eagles next Tuesday night. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are ready to return for Round Four after two weeks of no matches due to AFL Health and Safety Protocols.

“For the time being, the fixture remains a week-to-week proposition, and as such, we want to thank every AFLW Club, players and the AFLPA, umpires, venues, governments, ticketing agents and all supporters for their understanding.”

Ticketing Update
  • For supporters who have purchased tickets to matches in Round Four, those tickets remain valid. The Ticketing Agent will be in contact should any ticket purchaser wish to receive a refund.
  • Details of ticketing for the additional matches - Collingwood vs. West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs vs. Fremantle – will be released separately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Given you support not supporting gay people I’m surprised you support aflw at all given it’s very high same sex players.

Or why you bother supporting the afl at all given inclusivity is a stated core principle.

To me, supporting a group that is largely made up of lesbians or a comp that lifts them up seems contradictory to your religion as you’ve stated it.
I don’t watch AFLW to support their LGBT practices just as I don’t watch AFL to support heterosexual males in their fornication with women. I watch it because of their playing skills.

AFL seems to have many straight men having sex without marriage while doing drugs, but no one questions why I watch a sport full of men that do something against my Religion. Those two things I mentioned are against my Religion.

My Religion is against gambling and drinking alcohol as well and the AFL bloody endorse both.

Bottom line is that I don’t watch AFL and AFLW to obtain my morality, and I certainly don’t watch it because every aspect of the game complies with what I believe. As per the above, there is a lot of practices that doesn’t comply.

I watch it because I like how they kick the ball and mark the ball and score goals. That’s why I watch it.

When I stop watching is if deregister a Muslim for not drinking alcohol, not promoting gambling, not accepting the fornication of heterosexuals, for standing against LGBTQ practices, and other parts of my faith. If they are not going to let a Muslim be a Muslim, then I will lose interest. So far, that hasn’t happened to my knowledge, so I watch the game.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s literally against the Religion of Islam to support LGBTQ practices. The rainbow jumper represents support of those practices.

I’m very proud that Haneen Zreika stood up for her beliefs and ideals. She takes her faith seriously and as a Muslim myself, I respect that. In fact, I would have done the same thing. We simply don’t toss away our ideals just to please the sportspeople in those “changerooms”.

Yes, consequences come with actions, but any adverse consequence is worth persevering through if it means keeping our faith intact.

Very interesting. I know Islam isn't alone in those views, too. It's a bit sad, really. I feel sad for the LGBTQ community who have been forced/brought up into these religions, the denigration must be very stressful for them. I believe in right over wrong, love and happiness over manufactured religions. It's not flippant "simply tossing away ideals" when they are clearly silly; makes one wonder how these things ever became "ideals". Just because religions have beliefs and ideals doesn't ever automatically make them correct. Religion doesn't trump common sense. Even today Pope Francis said to support your children if they are gay, he's doing some good! I'm not having a go at you or anyone else, it's just all very sad. I'm not LGBTQ, but if some religion's ideal was against me having brown hair, there's something serious wrong in this universe. People aren't born believing this crap. Peace to you ☮️

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
And if she gets deregistered then that’s the end of AFLW for me. It’ll show me that AFLW is a xenophobic league only interested in Western movements and ideals. That doesn’t suit mine or other Muslim’s ideals so I expect that many will follow suit.

If AFL then does the same thing, then it’ll be the same thing for the AFL.

This is a bit of a strange take. AFLW is an explicitly pro-LGBTQ league. They just had a pride round. If your issue is with them supporting "western ideals", well, they do support them.

It's pretty clear that if Zreika was to get deregistered for this it wouldn't be because she is Muslim. It would be because she is anti-LGBTQ. That is not an explicitly Muslim stance, and if she came to that stance for any other reason the same result would occur.

This is a bit of a strange take. AFLW is an explicitly pro-LGBTQ league. They just had a pride round. If your issue is with them supporting "western ideals", well, they do support them.

It's pretty clear that if Zreika was to get deregistered for this it wouldn't be because she is Muslim. It would be because she is anti-LGBTQ. That is not an explicitly Muslim stance, and if she came to that stance for any other reason the same result would occur.

That won't be how the Muslim Australians see it though, she chose to take no stance on the issue due to her wider community involvement and was fired for it.

That's not going to fly. If she was actively opposing it, different story.

We can be mature enough to see someone recusing themselves from the public discussion around football on this as neither supporting or opposing an issue.

masai tu

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
What is, exactly? This can't be about wearing a pride guernsey, surely. What is the belief that contradicts love and happiness? Scratching my head on that one.

Many people are trying so hard for a good cause and lovely message, and one player is saying, "Nah, I'm against all that". I'm sure Zreika is a lovely person, but at the same time this spreads a terrible message.

Her message to her community, should be around “love and understanding” of all members of your community.

Not too sure if her actions will be seen in that light, by the wider community.

masai tu

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s literally against the Religion of Islam to support LGBTQ practices. The rainbow jumper represents support of those practices.

I’m very proud that Haneen Zreika stood up for her beliefs and ideals. She takes her faith seriously and as a Muslim myself, I respect that. In fact, I would have done the same thing. We simply don’t toss away our ideals just to please the sportspeople in those “changerooms”.

Yes, consequences come with actions, but any adverse consequence is worth persevering through if it means keeping our faith intact.

“Love thy fellow man”, is the best tenet to live by.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United

It still means that the league doesn’t allow Muslims to display their Islamic values.

Therefore, if the AFLW deregister her for not playing in a rainbow guernsey, then it is a symbol that Muslims cannot play in the league (even if it is a symbol for other groups with similar stance on LGBTQ as well). I’m not saying that we need to call people from LGBTQ community a slur in order to play. No, we don’t. We just need to not support non-Islamic values like LGBTQ practices, which the league wouldn’t allow if they get deregistered for not wearing rainbow guernseys.

I’m aware that the AFLW and AFL support Western values. I said that I won’t support it if it “only supports” Western values. By that, I mean that it doesn’t allow Muslims to be Muslims for example, which would be the case if Zreika gets deregistered.

For all these years the AFL allowed Houli and Saad to be a Muslim with Islamic values even though it largely supports Western values. So, I have been following the league. If the league no longer supports Muslims to be Muslims, then I am out.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
That won't be how the Muslim Australians see it though, she chose to take no stance on the issue due to her wider community involvement and was fired for it.

We can be mature enough to see someone recusing themselves from the public discussion around football on this as neither supporting or opposing an issue.

Yeah I kinda see Zreika as a victim of circumstance here, she'll piss off people no matter what she does.

It would be very awkward around some/most of her teammates, "Why don't you like who I am?" would be a common thought.

What do the Scientoligists think? 🙃

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
It still means that the league doesn’t allow Muslims to display their Islamic values.

Therefore, if the AFLW deregister her for not playing in a rainbow guernsey, then it is a symbol that Muslims cannot play in the league (even if it is a symbol for other groups with similar stance on LGBTQ as well).

I’m aware that the AFLW and AFL support Western values. I said that I won’t support it if it “only supports” Western values. By that, I mean that it doesn’t allow Muslims to be Muslims for example, which would be the case if Zreika gets deregistered.

For all these years the AFL allowed Houli and Saad to be a Muslim with Islamic values even though it largely supports Western values. So, I have been following the league. If the league no longer supports Muslims to be Muslims, then I am out.
Wow. That's some seriously deluded logic.
The AFLW can support Muslims without Muslims conversely offending half of the leagues players.
It takes two to tango, and you're coming across as selfish.

Wow. That's some seriously deluded logic.
The AFLW can support Muslims without Muslims conversely offending half of the leagues players.
It takes two to tango, and you're coming across as selfish.

The league can be inclusive of all opinions as long as the opinions don't conflict with the prime opinion?

She isn't protesting the issue. She has made no position on it.

Not supporting doesn't equal opposing.

<RANT>

Not sure on the Quran in this sense, but as far as the bible goes, nothing in the Ten Commandments stands against gay relationships. And they are the only direct orders from “god”. Given the two texts are formed from roughly the same source material……?

Every other tenet is the word of man, which is fallible and prone to self aggrandisement. And also written to deal with different situations across many tribes and nations, which is why it’s such a dog’s breakfast and contradicts itself.

The round itself is to shine a light on the fact that people of a non-heterosexual nature still face bullying, harassment, loss of employment and death on a far too regular basis. That there are less freedoms and protections in place for the non-conformative than there are for us regular folk (similar to race inequality), and because these people are often forced, or feared, into living “normally”, the suicide rates are much higher as well. I don’t want that for my kids. It’s as simple as that. Being gay doesn’t harm anyone else, so why should it be an issue?

And yes, things are better here in Australia than in many other parts of the world, but they still could be better. It will be a generational change, that can only come about through organisations such as the AFLW shining a light on them, and creating discussion.

There are religious freedoms that many non-religious people don’t get the benefit of experiencing. But is it freedom if you are too afraid to be the person you truly are, and end up leaving this world too soon?

</RANT>

But I’m pretty sure we didn’t come here to argue religion. Can we move on now and talk about the ******* footy?

Collingwood did well to hold up as long as they did, but geez I love our girls.

To be able to grind down a team in that way until they break .

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
No, it doesn't. Because you'd be forced to equate her cheering on her teammates from the sidelines, which she would be doing, with her holding a sign saying that being gay is wrong.
By refusing to wear it and participate she openly doesn't support the pride movement.
That is divisive and hateful.

By refusing to wear it and participate she openly doesn't support the pride movement.
That is divisive and hateful.

Being opposed to it would be, taking no position is not opposition.

Support is support.
No position is no position.
Opposing is opposing.

The three are mutually exclusive.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers

Therefore, if the AFLW deregister her for not playing in a rainbow guernsey, then it is a symbol that Muslims cannot play in the league (even if it is a symbol for other groups with similar stance on LGBTQ as well). I’m not saying that we need to call people from LGBTQ community a slur in order to play. No, we don’t. We just need to not support non-Islamic values like LGBTQ practices, which the league wouldn’t allow if they get deregistered for not wearing rainbow guernseys.

Is your religion really telling you that you can't support gay people, or are you using your religion as an excuse to be a bigot?

This seems pretty clear cut to me. You just can't justify a religious practice that tells people to be prejudiced. Your views are moronic at best and dangerous at worst.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No, it doesn't. Because you'd be forced to equate her cheering on her teammates from the sidelines, which she would be doing, with her holding a sign saying that being gay is wrong.

Couldn’t she have done it without having it made public?

Her opinion/view is now out there (no doubt causing pain). She said she’d be thought of less in her community if she played. Does that mean she will now be held in higher regard due to this public protest?

Seems self serving to a degree.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide

So it sounds again like we're down to the difference between deregistration and delisting. I can certainly appreciate why some people would be upset if the league wouldn't allow anyone who is not explicitly pro-LGBTQ to play. Fortunately, I doubt very much that Zreika will be deregistered for her stance.

Delisted? Wouldn't surprise me at all. She is free to have her beliefs and make her choices, however the consequences to her also affect her club and teammates. GWS would be able to very easily make the argument that Zreika's stance is a) disruptive to their playing group, b) brings negative press upon the club, and c) makes her unable to play every week.

Support is support.
Opposing is opposing.

Sorry Taylor, have to disagree here.
There is no such thing as no position here.
You either support, or you don’t.

I get the player in question is in a tough position, and juggling 2x separate sets of values. And it very well may be a case of privately supporting her teammates while publicly being a figure for her religion.

People who are struggling with their identity, only see this as supportive, or not supportive. If you can’t openly support them, then you are against them.

(Not you yourself, but I’m sure you get the gist)

Couldn’t she have done it without having it made public?

Her opinion/view is now out there (no doubt causing pain). She said she’d be thought of less in her community if she played. Does that mean she will now be held in higher regard due to this public protest?

Seems self serving to a degree.

It's not like anyone who wouldn't have noticed her taking a stand that cost her personally if she played on through it would be there for her if her community rejected her over it, is it?

Has she made a comment on it though? It looks like someone has made a story out of it, I can't find any quotes from her at all.

Almost like someone knew it would stir things up after finding out she addressed the group earlier in the week to share her position on it.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide

Support is support.
Opposing is opposing.

I think you guys are talking about two different things. Her personal stance, and her public actions.

Zreika is clearly not supportive of LGBTQ people. This is not an issue you can have no position on. You are either supportive, or you are not.

However, when it comes to your actions/statements, clearly there are three options. You can be actively supportive, actively offensive, or you can say nothing. Two of those are fine, one is not.

I think people are entitled to their beliefs, just like other people are entitled to think less of them because of those beliefs. But actions are where the line is drawn.

I think you guys are talking about two different things.

Zreika's is clearly not supportive of LGBTQ people. This is not an issue you can have no position on. You are either supportive, or you are not.

However, then there is the issue of your actions/statements. Clearly in that situation there are three options. You can be actively supportive, actively offensive, or you can say nothing.

I think people are entitled to their beliefs, just like other people are entitled to think less of them because of those beliefs. But actions are where the line is drawn.

What action has occurred here?

Back