Best grand final of the modern era (since 1998)

Best grand final of the modern era/since 1998

• Total voters
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee wiz the Cats vs Tiges s**t fights bring us joy.

1643278693457.gif

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
You are missing all the hawthorn sniping behind the play, droping players whenever they handballed and a dozen deliberate rushed behinds. the sportsmanship of hawthorn was that bad they had two introduce too new rules the next season to stop it.

and then ofcourse you missed that the only reason the game wasnt over at half time was cos geelong bradburied in front of goal. Numerous occassions where multiple geelong players coming straming into the foward fifty in waves only to miss sitters from 30m directly in front with no hawk player near them or handballing to a player not looking in the goal square or missing a set shot from 10ms out.

the football was completely one side For the first half. hawthorn only played well for a qtr. hawthorn didnt win the flag Against all odds, geelong lost it against all odds.

love how you guys talk about hodge playing with a slight injury when his opponent (geelongs last player picked) was far more injured and should never have played.

How many times have you actually watched the game?

Geelong only led at one break - the first, and that was by one solitary point.

Hawks lead at all other breaks, and had extended their lead throughout each - 3 points at HT, 17 at 3QT and 26 at full time.

Croad went down in the second quarter.

Young, who was arguably BOG up until this point, went down four minutes into the third. Both done for the day. This was slightly offset by Harley missing time with a head knock, though unlike the other two he managed to come back on.

In the end Geelong had 8 extra free kicks for the game and the Hawks were two players down for half an entire game. Yet despite all of that that Geelong still managed to lose by 5 goals.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Hawks lead at all other breaks, and had extended their lead throughout each - 3 points at HT, 17 at 3QT and 26 at full time.

Young, who was arguably BOG up until this point, went down four minutes into the third. Both done for the day. This was slightly offset by Harley missing time with a head knock, though unlike the other two he managed to come back on.

In the end Geelong had 8 extra free kicks for the game and the Hawks were two players down for half an entire game. Yet despite all of that that Geelong still managed to lose by 5 goals.
If it wasn't for injuries, Hawthorn would have flogged Geelong by 10+ goals.

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
No, It’s Richmond to me.

I’d never say something as cringeworthy as “Premiershipmond”

It’s too much to roll off the tongue. I could go for a run in the time It takes to say “Premiershipmond”.

Get a load of yourself tigers supporters, you were essentially irrelevant for many years until 2017!

Yellow and crap!

2001 hasn't got a mention yet- very comparable to 2011. Imho, the two most underrated grand finals from this list.

Clearly the two best teams of that season playing a very high quality contest with momentum swings. The loser didn't choke they were simply beaten by a 4 goal better opponent. 2001 is well worth a re-watch [maybe not for Bomber fans] if you haven't seen it for a while.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s too much to roll off the tongue. I could go for a run in the time It takes to say “Premiershipmond”.

Get a load of yourself tigers supporters, you were essentially irrelevant for many years until 2017!

Yellow and crap!

Hang on. Weren’t Poorthorn the club who did not win anything in a Junior Metropolitan footy comp, even after merging with about 3 other teams, then when the VFA needed someone to make up the numbers after the disastrous collapse of the Melbourne City FC, you didn’t win anything there either. Only after somehow being the VFL’s version of a Ugandan swimmer at the Olympics, there under false pretences, trailing the field by laps for decades, did your club even look like becoming moderately relevant after being gifted the best recruiting zone in order that you stop completely embarrassing yourselves. Should be called the Kenneth-Eric Football Club. 😉

Must I remind you my brown and gold friend that the Hawks did not win a single final in their first 55 seasons of existence, and the single final the club played in it was trounced, by no less a sporting power than Port Melbourne. 😱

Do. Not. Ever. Raise. The. Issue. Of. Irrelevance. Ever. 😂😂

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Hang on. Weren’t Poorthorn the club who did not win anything in a Junior Metropolitan footy comp, even after merging with about 3 other teams, then when the VFA needed someone to make up the numbers after the disastrous collapse of the Melbourne City FC, you didn’t win anything there either. Only after somehow being the VFL’s version of a Ugandan swimmer at the Olympics, there under false pretences, trailing the field by laps for decades, did your club even look like becoming moderately relevant after being gifted the best recruiting zone in order that you stop completely embarrassing yourselves. Should be called the Kenneth-Eric Football Club. 😉

Must I remind you my brown and gold friend that the Hawks did not win a single final in their first 55 seasons of existence, and the single final the club played in it was trounced, by no less a sporting power than Port Melbourne. 😱

You quoted a Geelong fan

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
As a neutral, 2008 was jaw dropping, dramatic and shocking. The marital equivalent would be finding out, after his graduation from the best schools, that Junior's father is actually Billy Bunter, the milkman with the big smile and skip in his step.

That the unbeatable cats could so humanly unravel against those upstarts, the cameos of Drew, Williams, Hodge, and the anticameos of Mooney and the stonelike coaching staff of the Cats, left me thinking it was a day dream. But it really happened. It is still astounding watching it all these years later.

Clarkson's Dien Bien Phu, bewildering and embarrassing an arrogant enemy.

Absolutely marvellous.

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong

I am so confused. On many levels. And at many points in this comment.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
How many times have you actually watched the game?

Yes and that tackle on young was really ‘sportsmanlike’

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Sounds like a meteoric rise to me. Imagine if you’d predicted hawthorns future in the thirties. You’d be locked up

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As a neutral, 2008 was jaw dropping, dramatic and shocking. The marital equivalent would be finding out, after his graduation from the best schools, that Junior's father is actually Billy Bunter, the milkman with the big smile and skip in his step.

That the unbeatable cats could so humanly unravel against those upstarts, the cameos of Drew, Williams, Hodge, and the anticameos of Mooney and the stonelike coaching staff of the Cats, left me thinking it was a day dream. But it really happened. It is still astounding watching it all these years later.

Clarkson's Dien Bien Phu, bewildering and embarrassing an arrogant enemy.

Absolutely marvellous.
1643318695348.gif

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
There has been some good ones but the 2009 and 2018 GF were epic games, not to mention the 2010 draw was great and Leo Barry you star in 2005. I choose 2018.

And of course for me 1998, not as epic but a good day for me of course.

Havoc

Senior List
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
2001 hasn't got a mention yet- very comparable to 2011. Imho, the two most underrated grand finals from this list.

Clearly the two best teams of that season playing a very high quality contest with momentum swings. The loser didn't choke they were simply beaten by a 4 goal better opponent. 2001 is well worth a re-watch [maybe not for Bomber fans] if you haven't seen it for a while.

To be fair.. many posters on here either weren't born in 2001, or they were very young and have no recollection!!

Back