No Oppo Supporters The TAN 79

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed 2020 specifically for one fact. Breaking Geelong. Especially after the Gazza and Dangerflop Cinderella story build up. Knowing that we ended Dangers only realistic chance at being a premiership player is a beautiful thing.
Agree, I loved 2020. Then again, I loved them all for different reasons.
Premierships aside, the 1995 semi against Essendon is my favourite, my Bomber mate was mouthing off in the first half and did a “phantom” halfway through the last.
2017 QF a close second, to finally get a win against those flogs and to humiliate them in the final quarter… beautiful 😍

Agree, I loved 2020. Then again, I loved them all for different reasons.
Premierships aside, the 1995 semi against Essendon is my favourite, my Bomber mate was mouthing off in the first half and did a “phantom” halfway through the last.
2017 QF a close second, to finally get a win against those flogs and to humiliate them in the final quarter… beautiful 😍
Scotty Turners elbow job in the 3rd qtr on Gary O'Donnell is now part of footy folklore. We had all the momentum after that. Rex Hunts call on Naishys running goal. Still get tingles.

Lol only feels like yesterday I was there too.
95 semi Final was always my fave day though until that 17 prelim.
Was there too.
But I reckon the qualifying final was just as immense.
We had it won the moment Geelong ran out onto the ground.

Scotty Turners elbow job in the 3rd qtr on Gary O'Donnell is now part of footy folklore. We had all the momentum after that. Rex Hunts call on Naishys running goal. Still get tingles.

How many weeks now?
I reckon 10

Rexxxxxxxxxieeeeeee.... :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Outside of various finals, especially the recent campaigns, one of the most memorable games for me was the last game of ’99. We were strangely out of contention and were playing the delusional blues who just needed a win to secure a home final for the following week (and avoid the Fitzroy Bears in Brisbane). We were in the standing room section at the back of the Punt Road goals when someone in front casually said ‘the scoreboard is on fire....’. Sure enough, there was a little flame on the bottom left corner of the city end scoreboard, allegedly started when a Tigers fan put a cigarette to their mouth and the bourbon on their breath flamed up the steel on the side of the board.

The flames got higher and higher, frighteningly quickly actually, fuelled by the brown paper bags that the blues players had dumped in the stand. People were evacuated from that end of the ground onto the arena. Naturally the players came out for a warmup in the smoke and went WTF? Scotty Turner, in his last game, mistook the 20m high flames for Lance Whitnall’s hair and subsequently tried to punch the blaze out... but to no avail.

As rumours spread of the game potentially being cancelled, we turned to see the AFL CEO, Wayne Jackson, running along the concourse behind us and my mate yelled out ‘HOW’S YOUR NIGHT BEEN SO FAR WAYNE?’ to which Wayne turned and grinned like a cheshire cat at us....and enthusiastically waved. Strange reaction, unless of course he was loving seeing MCC infrastructure burning to the ground.

One campaigner who had been evacuated onto the ground decided to live a lifelong dream and run the full length of the MCG bouncing his footy to have a shot at the PRE goals. No-one really noticed him running around just inside the member’s side boundary line until he got to about 50 out...then we ALL noticed and started egging him on...along with about 25,000 other idiots. He was so knackered that when he got to about 20 out he had a shot, stumbled, toed the ball along the ground about 6 metres and fell on his face. Thousands of people in unison went ‘OOOORRRR!!!’ then pissed themselves.

We went on to win the game, we unleashed the Giesch in style, we gave it to the neurotic blues fans on the way out and they were saying ‘So what? Where are you guys gonna be next week?’ to which we replied ....’Watching the blues lose on TV, same as you guys.’

Despite my lungs being filled with burning plastic fumes and the Tiges hitting the 21st century coming off another ordinary year and with another new coach in waiting, I was content.

Wayne eventually went back to his farm, nearly dying in a tractor accident where he broke most of his ribs, collapsed a lung and had internal bleeding but grinned and enthusiastically waved to the nurses when he was wheeled into ICU. When asked why he was so happy he said ‘this is quite pleasant when compared to working with Demetriou’.

We have since gone on to witness 3 Tiger premierships, 5 blues spoons and the guy who stumbled at the last step of running the ‘G to kick a goal went on to his other dream of running from Mallacoota to Broome and got within 20ks..only to be arrested by McGowan for incorrectly using a semicolon on his G2G pass.

gettyimages-jackatley-1553833_web.jpg

Blues would do anything to try to secure a home final...including arson
Love this and love your stories Bill, keep ‘‘em coming 😍🤙

Lol only feels like yesterday I was there too.
95 semi Final was always my fave day though until that 17 prelim.
Although being only 10 years old at the time and watching it in our family study (parents hated footy) on a shitty old TV set this is my 2nd favorite tiger victory in my life time

Knighters epic run down the wing for a I think 5 bounce goal, turners elbow then going forward and kicking 2 goals, naish having a ripper all so vivid in my memory

I was unlucky or lucky enough to be in the car driving to a holiday caravan park the following week when we got pumped by Geelong in the prelim
Dad let me listen to the first quarter on the radio, it was enough 🤦‍♂️🤣

Although being only 10 years old at the time and watching it in our family study (parents hated footy) on a shitty old TV set this is my 2nd favorite tiger victory in my life time

Knighters epic run down the wing for a I think 5 bounce goal, turners elbow then going forward and kicking 2 goals, naish having a ripper all so vivid in my memory

I was unlucky or lucky enough to be in the car driving to a holiday caravan park the following week when we got pumped by Geelong in the prelim
Dad let me listen to the first quarter on the radio, it was enough 🤦‍♂️🤣
I’ll be honest I was gutted at half time. Knights had done everything he could but we were still getting a touch up. Being a salty 24 year old who took footy way too seriously! I was there with mostly full of themselves Essendon mates and 2 tiger mates
Half time I was over their s**t and said it * it I’m going to the Royal I’ll see you after the game.
I was going deadset but a mate convinced me just to give it ten minutes.
Thank God!
I wouldn’t think of doing that now!

Plus 3 foe his hit on Grenvold
Times have changed.
This game was on Fox a few months back and I told my younger colleagues to watch for Turners hit. Told them he basically got a standing ovation from tiger fans and cult like status from it.
Take Towna in 17 and multiply it by 10 I told them, and if this happened now he’d be hung, drawn and quartered.
Then they saw it and they were horrified! How the * can he get away with that s**t? That’s bullshit!! Etc 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll be honest I was gutted at half time. Knights had done everything he could but we were still getting a touch up. Being a salty 24 year old who took footy way too seriously! I was there with mostly full of themselves Essendon mates and 2 tiger mates
Half time I was over their sh*t and said it fu** it I’m going to the Royal I’ll see you after the game.
Thank God!
Omg imagine if you did leave for the royal

Honestly I don’t think you’d ever forgive yourself, well I wouldn’t anyway 🤣

Trans swimmer flops it out.
View attachment 1317763
That’s where this s**t just goes way too far.
And a lot of places are even trying to jump onto this crap to save money when building new complexes claiming there is no need for male and female facilities just a shared one with some privacy areas.

Congrats to Johnny Schumann, "Old Shoe", on the Australia Day gong.
Your life's in a Data bank at A.S.I.O. :laughing:

Half time I was over their sh*t and said it fu** it I’m going to the Royal I’ll see you after the game.
Thank God!

But hey, instead of watching Matty Knights bounce the ball five times, your balls would have bounced five times as the Royal.

Thank God!

On a more serious note .....
That semi-final was about as emotional as I have ever got at the footy - or anywhere else.
Was a rollercoaster year in more ways than one.
Had a great family friend our group went to the footy with each week with - interstate trips and all - for just over a decade and as those old enough to remember, there were plenty of ordinary years leading up to it. But rain, hail (thinking v Geelong at VFL Park in 1980), shine we were there week in, week out.
Sadly she passed away in the middle of '95 and I carried this feeling of life not being fair - someone young being taken so soon and at a time when one of the biggest passions in her life, the RFC, had finally come good and she was going to miss out on something pretty special.
It all came to the surface the moment that siren rang to give us victory over the club all in our group hated the most and I bawled my eyes out in the outer while thinking of our friend.
Will never forget that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back