Training 2022 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much in this from afl.com

Medical room
The Blues have a considerably smaller injury list compared to previous summers. David Cuningham and Caleb Marchbank are returning from ACL injuries, while Sam Docherty is still in a conditioning phase after undergoing chemotherapy for a secondary occurrence of testicular cancer. Liam Stocker sustained a syndesmosis injury just before Christmas, but is expected to return to light duties this week.

Time trial king
It should be no surprise that rookie Matt Cottrell took out the club’s most recent time trial, which took place just before Christmas. The hard-working winger has perhaps overtaken Ed Curnow as the club’s best runner will look to add to his 19 senior games this season.

Hewett very impressive and arguably BOG. JSOS another one who just brought pressure and intensity to every contest, despite being undersized in a lot of match ups when the ball went towards him inside 50.

OMac looking very good and I have a feeling we'll play him over Young. Gov and Williams WILL bounce back. Lock in Kemp to play rd 1, and Philp to play early on in the season. Fisher will get a lot more midfield minutes and will star under Voss. Walsh was just Walsh. LOB will have a breakout year. Getting those games into Charlie last year has got his confidence way up, will be a huge factor in our success this season.

I'll combine all my posts from throughout the day into the no discussion thread.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cerra, Hewett, Cripps vs Dow, Kennedy, Walsh are the matchups at center bounces.

Charlie with a huge grab and hits the post from a very tight angle in the right forward pocket. He gets a second chance and kicks it from the same position.

Marchy (yes, you read that right) has also kicked a goal. Saad gives away a sloppy 100m penalty and Hewett kicks a goal as a result.

Setters and Philp both playing on the wing.

So just to confirm… Marchbank is back in match sim?

Hewett very impressive and arguably BOG. JSOS another one who just brought pressure and intensity to every contest, despite being undersized in a lot of match ups when the ball went towards him inside 50.

OMac looking very good and I have a feeling we'll play him over Young. Gov and Williams WILL bounce back. Lock in Kemp to play rd 1, and Philp to play early on in the season. Fisher will get a lot more midfield minutes and will star under Voss. Walsh was just Walsh. LOB will have a breakout year. Getting those games into Charlie last year has got his confidence way up, will be a huge factor in our success this season.

I'll combine all my posts from throughout the day into the no discussion thread.

Thanks Ash for your observations. Is your opinion on LOB based on what you saw today? What did he do well?

A lot of names pressing for selection, be interesting to see how/where they all fit with the new MC.

Thanks Ash for your observations. Is your opinion on LOB based on what you saw today? What did he do well?
Hitting targets left and right. We all new he had a penetrating left foot kick but the way in which he was able to find targets inside 50 with pinpoint passes, just showed me how underutilised he was under Teague.

A lot of names pressing for selection, be interesting to see how/where they all fit with the new MC.
Will be very tough indeed, and that's why I'm looking forward to the scratch match on the 24th of Feb and then the practice game on the 3rd of March. Will be interesting to see who our MC go with.

Do we go for Gov or Kemp as our intercepting 3rd tall in defence? Does Philp get a game ahead of Owies or Honey? Do we have enough on-ballers to cut Kennedy/Dow and play LOB on the wing instead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be very tough indeed, and that's why I'm looking forward to the scratch match on the 24th of Feb and then the practice game on the 3rd of March. Will be interesting to see who our MC go with.

Do we go for Gov or Kemp as our intercepting 3rd tall in defence? Does Philp get a game ahead of Owies or Honey? Do we have enough on-ballers to cut Kennedy/Dow and play LOB on the wing instead?

Thanks for the reports Ash24!

How are the defenders fighting for Jones' position going in the match sim?

What about the train on players, any of them putting their hand up for the last spot?

Who's the stand out small forward today?

Philp the forward, not a wing/on-baller.
Who will be favoured as the 2nd on-ball brigade + Ed still in the mix will leave a couple out + how our wings are utilised/selected.
Spots up for grabs down back & up forward with valid claims across the list to fill the positions.
Then the potential return of the rehab group in Stocker, Marchbank, Doc, DC.

Good:

Charlie is eye catching and looks supremely fit.

Gov very trim and moving the best he has at the club.

Philp was a real positive out of the session. Got to good spots and his kicking really seems to have improved a lot

Same with Durdin, high energy and looked much cleaner than the glimpses we saw last year

Kemp’s willingness to take the game on and his confidence is terrific. Will be a serious player

Don’t see how he gets a game without injuries, but Boyd is a beautiful kick of the footy.

Jsos continues to make good things happen wherever he goes, high effort and good decision maker

Not so good:

I’m not sold on Young. Good size but takes an eternity to get the ball on to his boot and when he does it’s an adventure.

Willo is a terrific athlete, but he made a couple of really lazy skill errors which in season we can’t afford. Not sure where he sits just yet this year

Generally a little disappointed with the skill level by foot, but it’s preseason and the ground was obviously wet so they deserve some slack

Overall thoughts:

Enjoyable session. They kept drills to no longer than around 10 minutes but the boys were on the park for near enough to 3 hours so a solid hit out. Obviously there’s a lot going on so it’s hard to take too much away but it was pleasing to see some younger players taking a step forward and a pretty small list of non participants.

Quickly on the train on players: Tyreece Leiu is miles ahead of younger Cripps for me. Did a few nice things while Josh looks years away.

Could he fill a wing position…?

Not sure he has the running stamina yet. But in time, yes.

He stated pre christmas that ideally he eventually wants to move up the field, but while building an AFL mids tank, he will learn his craft down back short term.

Thanks for the reports Ash24!

How are the defenders fighting for Jones' position going in the match sim?

What about the train on players, any of them putting their hand up for the last spot?

Who's the stand out small forward today?

For most of the day OMac was on Harry, Weiters was on Charlie and Young was on JSOS.

If I was a betting man I'd say either Leiu or one of the VFL boys like Ned Cahill will take the last spot.

Stand out small forward would be Fisher, but he played a fair bit of time in the middle too. Durdin and Philp were quite decent as well. Most of our smalls were quiet, I felt the match sim was dominated my most of our mids.

hans-moleman-gif.gif

Thanks Ash. How are our kicking and handballing skill's looking?
It was alright. I definitely noticed a lot more "bullet passes" which were fast and low to the ground. Coaches were screaming at players to take risks so we're definitely looking to take the game on a lot more with our kicking.

One thing however which was somewhat disappointing were our entries inside 50. Some of them were banging it on the boot and we're still struggling with goal accuracy and applying pressure i50 in order to retain possession.

If I was a betting man I'd say either Leiu or one of the VFL boys like Ned Cahill will take the last spot.

Don’t think we need to be looking at Ned Cahill types, where we’re covered, when we have other pressing list management gaps to address.
Someone like a Jack Hayes should have been looked at.

Voss announces Weiters and Walsh as co vice captains, with Cripps as skipper. Those 3 are it for our leadership group.

Voss says Cripps' greatest strength as captain is his passion and what he wants the club to stand for.

I hear the word 'passion' again I will deadset swan dive off the westgate - no doubt my headstone will read "he had such passion for base jumping"........ fmd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back