Training 2022 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a good hit out this morning with plenty of positives:

Intensity was high throughout and almost every drill was match sim of some sort. Definite emphasis on executing under pressure, winning contests and there was no holding back.

Doc looking in great shape, involved in full match sim (limited minutes) and reading the play beautifully.

Charlie moving as well as ever and seemingly no knee concerns. Won most of his ball further up the ground (70m out) while Harry on the other team played closer to goal. Harry led well and was hit up nicely a few times.

No mid in particular dominated but all had great moments (Walsh, Cripps, Dow, Cerra, Hewitt).

Setterfield was prominent in the first match sim and Fish on limited minutes looked dynamic.

Carroll, Durdin, Philp (2 goals) and Owies all showed glimpses to get you excited about their future.

Young looks balanced and composed for a big man but McDonald competes so hard it will be difficult to overlook him as the Jones replacement in rd 1

MMG will make a great 3rd defender if his body holds up. His raw speed (fitness willing) will get him to contests and his leap could see him intercept marking or at least spoiling often. With his fast break and good hands he’ll also be a great target from kick outs.

O’Brien, Williams and Williamson were providing plenty of dash. O’Brien looks ready to go.

Cuningham and Marchbank ran laps but DC in particular looked in the best shape he’s ever been.

TDK was mainly put through his paces with trainers and very limited non contact work.

Definite emphasis on winning the ball in tight, executing under pressure and transitioning through the corridor. One of the match sims being full ground length, very narrow width.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

if the goodwill of the people has anything to do with it, doc will be returning to his brilliant best at some stage...........how blessed are we to have this bloke

Kemp has really good pace and dash. His height is a bonus. Can easily play as a running defender who also helps in the air.

Great prospect who gives us all sorts of options. 3rd tall, 4th tallish, or running rebounder.......or ALL 3.
Definitely a mix of those 3 plus a couple of others in the long run, last I heard he was up to 194.5cm tall, can’t remember where I read that, which once he fills out is nearly KP size which added to his speed and athleticism plus disposal skills makes him a very versatile and damaging weapon that SOS got us for a bargain at pick 17, will be well worth the wait.

Will be very tough indeed, and that's why I'm looking forward to the scratch match on the 24th of Feb and then the practice game on the 3rd of March. Will be interesting to see who our MC go with.

Do we go for Gov or Kemp as our intercepting 3rd tall in defence? Does Philp get a game ahead of Owies or Honey? Do we have enough on-ballers to cut Kennedy/Dow and play LOB on the wing instead?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If LOB can replicate his game against St Kilda in Rd 20 on a regular basis, had 21 disposals, 4 goal assists and 6 score involvements, then he will lock away the wing spot and make us a much more dangerous side.

Let’s hope this is the year for both him and Dow to repay the faith, Dow also had his best game in that Rd 20 game, 22 disposals, 4 clearances, 3 goal assists, 4 sc involvements, and it was our midfields best all round performance of the year with 5-6 mids all over 20 touches while also either hitting the scoreboard or setting up GAssists.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see TDK spending time forward. If big M turns into a decent ruck, I'd love TDK, McKay and Charlie up forward all together.
Sorry but I respectfully and strongly disagree.... too tall... Jack silvagni is already 190 Charlie 195 and McKay 203 or what ever he is... too tall. Way to tool to throw another 210 down there

Good:

Charlie is eye catching and looks supremely fit.

Gov very trim and moving the best he has at the club.

Philp was a real positive out of the session. Got to good spots and his kicking really seems to have improved a lot

Same with Durdin, high energy and looked much cleaner than the glimpses we saw last year

Kemp’s willingness to take the game on and his confidence is terrific. Will be a serious player

Don’t see how he gets a game without injuries, but Boyd is a beautiful kick of the footy.

Jsos continues to make good things happen wherever he goes, high effort and good decision maker

Not so good:

I’m not sold on Young. Good size but takes an eternity to get the ball on to his boot and when he does it’s an adventure.

Willo is a terrific athlete, but he made a couple of really lazy skill errors which in season we can’t afford. Not sure where he sits just yet this year

Generally a little disappointed with the skill level by foot, but it’s preseason and the ground was obviously wet so they deserve some slack

Overall thoughts:

Enjoyable session. They kept drills to no longer than around 10 minutes but the boys were on the park for near enough to 3 hours so a solid hit out. Obviously there’s a lot going on so it’s hard to take too much away but it was pleasing to see some younger players taking a step forward and a pretty small list of non participants.

Quickly on the train on players: Tyreece Leiu is miles ahead of younger Cripps for me. Did a few nice things while Josh looks years away.
Based on today, we are going to have our hearts in our mouths when young has the ball in his hands..bit like how Jones could on occasions.

Sorry but I respectfully and strongly disagree.... too tall... Jack silvagni is already 190 Charlie 195 and McKay 203 or what ever he is... too tall. Way to tool to throw another 210 down there

Actually, Charlie is the small fry of them all @ 192cm. JSOS 194cm, TDK 203cm, H 204cm
McGov @ 191cm if in the frame for a forward position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back