Social Science So what are you doing for Australia Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not Captain Cook the people who argue for the retention of Jan 26 are keen on, it's the concept of Western superiority stemming from the original flawed concept of Terra Nullius and that the Indigenous population should be grateful for what this brought them.

So you’re grouping all those who want to change the date as thinking this way? (By the way I’m happy to change the date, would be good to have a flag/date most of us agreed on)

So you’re grouping all those who want to change the date as thinking this way? (By the way I’m happy to change the date, would be good to have a flag/date most of us agreed on)
I think that a fair proportion of those who wish to keep the date subscribe to Western cultural superiority, yes. Certainly among our current leaders I think this is the case.

I think that a fair proportion of those who wish to keep the date subscribe to Western cultural superiority, yes. Certainly among our current leaders I think this is the case.

Fair enough. You were fairly specific about the thoughts of those who wanted to keep Jan 26th, I’m sure there’s a variety of reasons.

One thing is if it goes to a referendum I wonder how they would get us all to agree on the specifics of changing the date/flag, I reckon it would lose because we wouldn’t agree ( a la the referendum)

Chinas invasion is inevitable

As theyre inventing, developing, learning, growing. The west are worrying about pronouns and dates of public holidays. We have things far too good when we're so fixated on bullshit (in before people claim it isnt bullshit, proving my point).

Learn mandarin asap
China reverse engineer and invent nothing. They will invade and take over by default while the west looks up its own arse.
Australia ourselves need to stop worrying about China, Britain or the US and build our own history. NZ are streets ahead of us in that department.
Change the date flag anthem monarch and get on with things.
We have enough uranium to nuke up to high heaven if worried about invasion

Is or was anyone really even pro Captain Cook? I've never met anyone in my entire life that has ever been excited that he turned up.

We should reach out to China and see if they can give us a rough date that they'll invade us and just make the pre-emptive date change now.

That's not very culturally sensitive of you. Part of being a socially progressive, tolerant society means you have to accept other cultures that are different to yours, and if you won't accommodate another culture just because yours doesn't include expanding across borders, internment camps etc. well someone on the internet will be most cross with you.

China reverse engineer and invent nothing. They will invade and take over by default while the west looks up its own arse.
Australia ourselves need to stop worrying about China, Britain or the US and build our own history. NZ are streets ahead of us in that department.
Change the date flag anthem monarch and get on with things.
We have enough uranium to nuke up to high heaven if worried about invasion

NZ sold out to Japan in the 90s and has sold out to China now.

Ardern is great at calling out social justice except when it comes to China. They are miles behind us. Not ahead.

Ardern is great at calling out social justice except when it comes to China. They are miles behind us. Not ahead.

In terms of creating their own identity and incorporating Indiginous Culture. Also a substantial part of their economy is build off their natural resources. Also to the extent they are very self sustainable. Although I couldn't comment what's happened in the last 2 years since I was there last.

NZ talks big but delivers little- less foreign aid, smaller refugee intake per capita than Australia. Higher child poverty than Australia.

Ardern is lucky people fall for the show rather than look at the actual deliverables.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

NZ talks big but delivers little- less foreign aid, smaller refugee intake per capita than Australia. Higher child poverty than Australia.

Ardern is lucky people fall for the show rather than look at the actual deliverables.

maybe theyre trying to fix their child poverty problem by not wasting money with foreign aid and taking refugees.

i wish we would solve our problems here before wasting billions handing out cash to other countries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe theyre trying to fix their child poverty problem by not wasting money with foreign aid and taking refugees.

i wish we would solve our problems here before wasting billions handing out cash to other countries.
Given how bad her housing Kiwi build project went, I suspect she is just useless at anything beyond point scoring and putting a good show of caring.

I think it needs to be split in two.

A day for recognition of indigenous people - I'll let them figure out the semantics of it.

A day for Australian's to appreciate being Australian.

Do I personally spend Aust Day celebrating the fact the indigenous people had so much wrong done by them? Of course not, it is usually a time to reflect on what it means to be an Aussie in the present day, if I manage to do that at all...

A day for recognition of indigenous people - I'll let them figure out the semantics of it.

A day for Australian's to appreciate being Australian.

Do I personally spend Aust Day celebrating the fact the indigenous people had so much wrong done by them? Of course not, it is usually a time to reflect on what it means to be an Aussie in the present day, if I manage to do that at all...
We have NAIDOC.

I mean there are a lot of days for the recognition of indigenous people - NAIDOC Week, Reconciliation Week, Sorry Day… even if you moved Australia Day the 26th of January would continue to be treated as a Day of Mourning

But realistically I think cleanly splitting the two days is not really possible. Any celebration of ‘Australia the country’ is going to have an indigenous mourning element to it because they are inextricably linked

That’s not to say that the day shouldn’t be moved. There’s nothing particularly sacred about the date of Australia Day - originally it was celebrated in July

I mean there are a lot of days for the recognition of indigenous people - NAIDOC Week, Reconciliation Week, Sorry Day… even if you moved Australia Day the 26th of January would continue to be treated as a Day of Mourning

But realistically I think cleanly splitting the two days is not really possible. Any celebration of ‘Australia the country’ is going to have an indigenous mourning element to it because they are inextricably linked

That’s not to say that the day shouldn’t be moved. There’s nothing particularly sacred about the date of Australia Day - originally it was celebrated in July

So is there no possibility of Australians celebrating how they feel like it is to be an Australian?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back