Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Medvedev in 4

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Medvedev in 5

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He never set himself up to be the villian. If you remember, the crowd were campaigners in rd 2 and he called them out on it. There's more courage in that. How's that being a villian? It's being ******* right!!

I suppose boozed up bogans believe they're entitled to rebel against etiquette and yell out between serves and cheer double faults in support of their man.

I love Rafa and am grateful I got to watch a historic sporting moment, but fu** me, Medvedev put one hell of an athletic display. Of course, this flies over the head of the average *******, and news personalities who want to drive the good vs evil narrative.
A few years ago he was the villain at the US Open because of the crowd but I don't think he purposely came to Australia to play the villain (again)

The match against Nick changed everything once the crowd started the annoying siuuu noise. I think Medvedev was right to call them out for disrespecting players. Though he should be more respectful towards umpires.

I suspect it was the moment getting to him TBH and in a way i understand it cant be easy getting booed all the time but if he hadnt been so condescending towards the crowd throughout the whole fortnight he wouldnt have copped what he did. No one was ever going to be the crowd favourite against rafa last night (except maybe Roger or an Aussie) but you also didnt need to be the villain, you did that to yourself.
Yes, he certainly created the situation himself. Started a fire and just kept adding fuel to it.

He never set himself up to be the villian. If you remember, the crowd were campaigners in rd 2 and he called them out on it. There's more courage in that. How's that being a villian? It's being ******* right!!

I suppose boozed up bogans believe they're entitled to rebel against etiquette and yell out between serves and cheer double faults in support of their man.

I love Rafa and am grateful I got to watch a historic sporting moment, but fu** me, Medvedev put one hell of an athletic display. Of course, this flies over the head of the average *******, and news personalities who want to drive the good vs evil narrative.
Calm down mate, i actually loved the villain act and was all for it and Medvedev is a brilliant player but calling a crowd "low iq" and the trolling "respect Jim Courier" stuff not to mention sarcastically clapping the crowd etc etc. He absolutely played into being the villain.

I only watch the slams and frankly aside from the three who rightly got booted from the Kyrgios match and the invader last night the Oz crowd is no different to any other crowd on the slam calendar (maybe wimbledon there a bit better but the French also used to be an absolute feral spot).

A few years ago he was the villain at the US Open because of the crowd but I don't think he purposely came to Australia to play the villain (again)

The match against Nick changed everything once the crowd started the annoying siuuu noise. I think Medvedev was right to call them out for disrespecting players. Though he should be more respectful towards umpires.
You can call the crowd out for not behaving well without calling them Low IQ (I also think he actually mentioned a few being low IQ but hes not that new to this to not realise thats not going to go down well).

You can call the crowd out for not behaving well without calling them Low IQ (I also think he actually mentioned a few being low IQ but hes not that new to this to not realise thats not going to go down well).
Well Medvedev loves to troll the crowd and is over the top. I was surprised he didn't get a code violation for yelling at the umpire in the semi finals

Well Medvedev loves to troll the crowd and is over the top. I was surprised he didn't get a code violation for yelling at the umpire in the semi finals
Thats kind of my point, you troll the crowd dont be shocked when they dont love you during a match.

Personally i dont really care, like i said, i kind of loved it, also i CBF booing or Siuing or whatever especially not for 5 and a half hours but im also not suprised others were happy to especially when hes up against one of the most beloved and respected guys of all time.

“They are idiots. No brains,” he was heard saying. “Empty brains. Probably in their life it must be very bad.”

Lashing out at the ball kids was very very uncool and Aussies probably won’t forgive him for that.

Overall, he did say things that could turn certain supporters against him, but ultimately the crowd was piss poor and like a football match. Etiquette was not there.
So, for complete clarity i disagree with the take on the crowd but i do want to genuinely ask, compared to what? US and French always have crowds just as bad as ours were/are? So if we accept that 3 of the 4 slams have similar crowd behavior is it poor behavior or is it just the "new" etiquette".

So, for complete clarity i disagree with the take on the crowd but i do want to genuinely ask, compared to what? US and French always have crowds just as bad as ours were/are? So if we accept that 3 of the 4 slams have similar crowd behavior is it poor behavior or is it just the "new" etiquette".

The level of umpire intervention required to silence the crowd appeared on its face to be a lot more than what is seen in the US Open or Rolland Garros..

The level of umpire intervention required to silence the crowd appeared on its face to be a lot more than what is seen in the US Open or Rolland Garros..
Its anecdotal so ultimately a pointless argument but my recollection of the US last year was there was a pretty similar amount. I actually think theyve kind of given up at the French and just let them go. If youve ever been to Rolland Garros a number of the outside courts can be seen from outside of the venue (on the street) so plenty of "fans" go there and cheer and carry on and the umpire cant do anything about it.

If the Dev was a footballer.. a presser.. and his done re.. wouldn't hear a word about what was said on the pine mate. Swear his ass off if he likes.. cameras and microphones aren't his face.. and the intimacy between the players.. a football.. a tennis crowd is a lot different as well.. tennis is full exposure mate.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the pressure, but the problem is he seems to always talk down to and insult people, no need to do that…just ask politely if you need something. Looks like a typical spoilt brat to me, like he’s used to talking to servants like that or something…’idiots’ low IQ’ etc. It’s not endearing at all, especially when you direct your frustration at volunteer kids 😐

If the Dev was a footballer.. a presser.. and his done re.. wouldn't hear a word about what was said on the pine mate. Tennis is full exposure mate.
Nah...
Travis Head got fined for an obscenity in a match picked up through stump cam. Plenty of footballers have copped fines etc. for stuff said on the field.

Modern sports have cameras and mics everywhere, tennis isnt special in that regard. Plus he did plenty of his trolling in actual interviews.

Nah...
Travis Head got fined for an obscenity in a match picked up through stump cam. Plenty of footballers have copped fines etc. for stuff said on the field.

Modern sports have cameras and mics everywhere, tennis isnt special in that regard. Plus he did plenty of his trolling in actual interviews.

Sorry I edited my post before you replied.. I think it is. Take a wicket keeper for eg.. might hear a word or 2 when he's keeping to spin bowling.. these blokes say all sorts of s**t out there.. wouldn't have a clue what's being said.. tennis players on the other hand.. how many points did they play last night? Everyone's eyes are fixated on these blokes.. applauding.. jeering.. after every point.. they are the centre of attention.. all the time.. it's relentless out there.

Last edited:
Tsitsipas and Nadal ALWAYS get huge support behind them here. Plus Dev had to deal with Krygios as well with his noisy bogan brigade.

He might feel like Australia hates him but he was always up against it with that draw, and of course some of his antics then didn’t help his cause. Great tournament though.

I didn’t really have a problem with medvedev’s carry on, even the ball
Kid stuff he didn’t seem to be personally nasty to the kids he just wanted them to do the job a certain way.

The only person he hurt was himself, I got the impression that Nadal fed off watching him get narky

Still can’t believe that game.

I don’t think people truly appreciate what it takes to win matches like that - it’s all very well to throw shade and say ‘medvedev choked’ or whatever. He’s playing a guy who is fitter, stronger and more iron willed than perhaps anyone to ever pick up a racquet. You make the slightest error and you get punished. You get pushed to your physical limit by Nadal’s relentlessness - it forces you to look for drop shots or winners that aren’t on - the notion that you can be hitting the ball THAT well and it still comes back at you, it would be very hard to cope with.

Every f***ing time there is a sporting moment where someone comes from behind to win, the resident Australian F***wit demographic seem to all get a group message and start banging on about choking or how bad it was. The inability to just appreciate amazing sport is phenomenal

Very nice article.

Sorry I edited my post before you replied.. I think it is. Take a wicket keeper for eg.. might hear a word or 2 when he's keeping to spin bowling.. these blokes say all sorts of sh*t out there.. wouldn't have a clue what's being said.. tennis players on the other hand.. how many points did they play last night? Everyone's eyes are fixated on these blokes.. applauding.. jeering.. after every point.. they are the centre of attention.. all the time.. it's relentless out there.
Yeh i still dont really agree, just cause we dont get it live like we do with tennis anything untoward still comes out.

If Dusty was calling an umpire a pussy in a semi final wed hear about it and hed like be fined.

Yeh i still dont really agree, just cause we dont get it live like we do with tennis anything untoward still comes out.

If Dusty was calling an umpire a pussy in a semi final wed hear about it and hed like be fined.

Do you think footballers and cricketers deal with the same s**t as tennis players? Who out of the 3 have got it the hardest?

Back