Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Medvedev in 4

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Medvedev in 5

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that I’m saying people in this thread have done it but it don’t get how people can criticise Medvedev but somehow think they Kyrgios circus is entertaining

Medvedev can play for starters
I think Medvedev is imminently entertaining and Kyrgios is much more bratty and insolent but ultimately its expecations.

I dont expect Nick to ever win a slam (in spite of seeming to be capable of it) i expect Med to win plenty but if Med keeps doing what hes doing hes going to win alot less.

Everything suggest he cares too much and wants them to adore him. That why he sooking so much when they are not.

It is absolutely foolish for Medvedev to expect the crowd to actively support him against a guy like Nadal, especially considering he openly taunts the crowd. I understand the point about respect in regards to that people shouldn't be actively trying to throw him off during points and service games but he should be able to look past that at his level.

There's a grace to be had and he doesn't have it.........yet, much like Novak doesn't have it. Nadal & Roger don't abuse umpires and ball kids. Stuff like that will never put you in the crowds favor.

It’s one thing to cheer for a player, but to boo him when he enters the arena or disrupt him inbetween service points is a bridge too far.

Crowds have got worse in the last few years, some of this fuelled by TA and the media.

To be fair, when said player openly taunts the crowd and calls them low IQ people what does he expect?

Medvedev does nothing for his public image except damage it, much like Novak does.

He would do well to get a good PA on board.

To be fair, when said player openly taunts the crowd and calls them low IQ people what does he expect?

Medvedev does nothing for his public image except damage it, much like Novak does.

The crowd were acting like idiots in Medvedev’s 2nd round match against Kyrgios. They deserve to be called out for their behaviour.

Medvedev wasn’t the only player on the tour subject to hostility and disrespect from the crowd. Same thing happened to Berrettini last week against Monfils.

Someone like Nalbandian or Chela were never met with this level of fury from the Australian crowd back in the day despite their intense rivalry with Hewitt.

The crowd were acting like idiots in Medvedev’s 2nd round match against Kyrgios. They deserve to be called out for their behaviour.

Medvedev wasn’t the only player on the tour subject to hostility and disrespect from the crowd. Same thing happened to Berrettini last week against Monfils.

Someone like Nalbandian or Chela were never met with this level of fury from the Australian crowd back in the day despite their intense rivalry with Hewitt.

yes but look at the wording used. This is the art of PA.

Berretini said "they are not tennis fans"

Medvedev said "they are low IQ"

it is different language used of which Medvedevs is condescending and aggressive.

Novak carried himself a very similar way to Medvedev early in his career and he still shows glimpses of it. Regardless of how many majors Novak wins, he will never be a fan favorite and Medvedev should not expect to be regardless of his success. Novak's problems always was that he thought winning meant he would be loved like Nadal & Federer and it is exactly where Medvedev is heading.

Last edited:
The whole Rafa/Federer obsession is a blight on the tennis and the public. Learned in 2010ish that tennis fans are feral when they begin to turn on anyone playing Federer. Imagine if Federer was playing Medevev yesterday. Much different story.
Unfortunately Medevev is the Novak of this generation. He ll have to rise above it and no matter how well or what he does to try and get the crowd on his side, he ll probably never win them over. That’s the reality.

It's been a long time since I've had a fav player in tennis, but Medvedev is one out of the box. He is basically the Larry David of tennis. He finds trouble whereever he goes, and while occasionally he crosses the line, I find myself mostly on his side! But beyond being the ultimate anti-hero, he is simply a freakish tennis player and a breath of fresh air.

The whole Rafa/Federer obsession is a blight on the tennis and the public. Learned in 2010ish that tennis fans are feral when they begin to turn on anyone playing Federer. Imagine if Federer was playing Medevev yesterday. Much different story.
Unfortunately Medevev is the Novak of this generation. He ll have to rise above it and no matter how well or what he does to try and get the crowd on his side, he ll probably never win them over. That’s the reality.

Medvedev can fix it but he needs to actively do it. He needs to learn about and show grace and humility. Until he does he wont be a fan favorite, if that's what he wants.

If he doesn't want to be loved and just wants be respected, and not have people death ride him than simple. Don't insult the crowd.

Tbf, compared to Medvedev they probably are low IQ. The dude is pretty intelligent.

People who dislike him are boring Boomers.

Tbf, compared to Medvedev they probably are low IQ. The dude is pretty intelligent.

People who dislike him are boring Boomers.

They may or may not be.

Fact is Medvedevs is not going to get anywhere insulting or abusing people regardless if he's right or wrong. He clearly cares about out it, so the onus is on him to do something about it.

Medvedev can fix it but he needs to actively do it. He needs to learn and about and show grace and humility. Until he does he wont be a fan favorite.
But why grace/humility when it’s not his fault? People forget about many players being the same as his age.
Can’t question him with Tsitipas’ dad coaching then Nadal absolute time wasting. Umpires are pretty scared these days, of the big 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I’m saying people in this thread have done it but it don’t get how people can criticise Medvedev but somehow think they Kyrgios circus is entertaining

Medvedev can play for starters
Goes both ways, plenty who call Kyrigios a w***er but Meds just a “witty troll”

But why grace/humility when it’s not his fault? People forget about many players being the same as his age.
Can’t question him with Tsitipas’ dad coaching then Nadal absolute time wasting. Umpires are pretty scared these days, of the big 3.
Some people are just pearl clutchers. He lost a close match to the greatest player of all time and now everyone is saying he's mentally weak lol.

Some people are just pearl clutchers. He lost a close match to the greatest player of all time and now everyone is saying he's mentally weak lol.
I’m not buying the “mentally weak” argument either.

Medvedev would have lost on Wednesday to FAA if he didn’t have any mental resilience about him.

• He doesn't need to yell and scream at the chair umpire to get his point across. it does not matter if he's right/wrong. The way he acts is what the crowd and public see.
  • Correct. Alot of younger players act like this. Its up to Danil if he wants to change his behavior to be a crowd favorite or continue like Novak.
  • Because grace/humility is what the crowd want. That's the way it is, Tennis fans are a typically more traditionally straight laced type of people. That is why Nadal & Federer are supported the way they are. If Kyrgios wasn't Australian he'd be coping it a fair bit too id imagine.

Last edited:

Are you suggesting I said that Danil is mentally weak?

:roflv1::laughv1::laughv1::grinv1:

Max Purcell has been openly critical of Nick Kyrgios throughout the Australian Open.
"I think it was great for ticket sales here but I'm not so sure how it was taken overseas," Purcell said.
"If you're watching some of Nick and Thanasi's matches earlier in the week and you're overseas, maybe you get turned off tennis a little bit."

Purcell had earlier in the tournament criticised Kyrgios on Instagram, commenting on a post that Kyrgios and Kokkinakis had been disrespectful to their opponents and suggesting Kyrgios should have been disqualified for hitting a ball into the crowd, striking a child.
Two Australian male tennis players smle and laugh during a doubles match.
The comments did not sit well with Kyrgios.

"As for @maxpurcell you donut, regarding your comments after the match, you clearly have no idea about entertainment and sport," he wrote.

"If you haven't noticed there is a reason why people actually come to my matches. It's because the level and my game are actually worth watching.

"Next time you lose another slam final, you should just put your head down and try to figure out how to play the big points better. No need to slate other Aussies in the media cuz people would rather watch paint dry than your [serve and volley] game style."

Hes definitely not mentally weak, to me its just weird choices.

He trolled and criticized the crowd (whether you agree with the criticism or not you make that choice its not going to endear you to anyone) and initially he seemed to embrace being the villain or the anti hero.

Then when he loses (to the GOAT and one of the most revered and mentally strong players of all time) he says it wasnt fair and he might not play in majors anymore. It is really sooky and looks pretty pathetic.

If youre gonna be the villain do it, embrace it, go full heel and some people will love that, if you want the crowd then work on that. Hes splitting the difference now and thats the issue i think.

There's almost certainly a racist element to the dislike of Medvedev. After decades of anti Russian Hollywood propaganda, Medvedev looks Russian. Safin escaped some of it by being a playboy
Medvedev did also play all the crowd favs in Kyrgios, Tsitsipas and Nadal, so though I do agree with you, regardless of nationality the crowd were always going to actively barrack against him.

Hes definitely not mentally weak, to me its just weird choices.

He trolled and criticized the crowd (whether you agree with the criticism or not you make that choice its not going to endear you to anyone) and initially he seemed to embrace being the villain or the anti hero.

Then when he loses (to the GOAT and one of the most revered and mentally strong players of all time) he says it wasnt fair and he might not play in majors anymore. It is really sooky and looks pretty pathetic.

If youre gonna be the villain do it, embrace it, go full heel and some people will love that, if you want the crowd then work on that. Hes splitting the difference now and thats the issue i think.
The dude's an enigma, it's impossible to figure him out

There's almost certainly a racist element to the dislike of Medvedev. After decades of anti Russian Hollywood propaganda, Medvedev looks Russian. Safin escaped some of it by being a playboy

that is a bit of a stretch.....

Back