Australian of the Year

Feb 7, 2009
lost somewhere in time
AFL Club
Geelong
Someone like Barnaby Joyce, liar, adulterer, fraud, racist, nationalist, right wing, religious pretender, hypocrite and thief.
Surely as "grass roots" as you get in this current Government without being Scott Morrison.
Looking forward through the ******* windscreen so they can't see the bodies and carnage they have caused.

Like those inbred, cultist campaigners?

Is that what you mean by "grass roots"
No grassroots like people who make breakthroughs in medicine or have dedicated their life to charity stuff like that. would much rather see bob from the ses or local fire brigade get these awards than sportspeople or mining magnates

carltonchelsea

Premium Gold
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve heard from several very reputable sources that he’s a major flog.
But if he raises awareness as to the NDIS and the difficulties posed by being disabled, like Grace did to those suffering from sexual violence, I hope he can mend his floggery for the good will of those he’s supposed to be the voice for.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Grace Tame is inadvertently one example of how it should be used. She was chosen to score political points for a Government with a problem relating to women, but it ended up unearthing a lot of cultural sexual assault problems amongst people in high office.

It should also be used to celebrate quiet achievers. Someone like Dylan Alcott, although I'm sure he's a fantastic person, mainly gets chosen because of his celebrity. So maybe they could have chosen a more low profile disability advocate, like maybe someone who set up a charity to build wheelchairs, or something like that.

People always say "Shane Crawford for AOTY, or Neale Daniher for AOTY" as though there aren't similarly inspiring people working away outside the limelight. We only nominate the Shane Crawfords because we know of them and their work already.

The problem is the system, they need to get rid of the popular vote altogether, and set up a panel to unearth exciting new Australian individuals who are doing truly inspiring work that we don't already know about. Raise the profile, and the work of people similar to Neale Daniher, but who more sorely need the boost in awareness and funding for their issue or their work.
I like the idea, but I can't help but feel a panel becomes too easy to stack with political appointments and it loses the purpose of the award behind what the sitting government of the day wants to use it for.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
But if he raises awareness as to the NDIS and the difficulties posed by being disabled, like Grace did to those suffering from sexual violence, I hope he can mend his floggery for the good will of those he’s supposed to be the voice for.
In what ways is he a flog, allegedly?

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
All living previous recipients of AOTY should vote on the winner of the award for the following year from a nominated shortlist of people.
Except the ones that are mean to the gubmint. They should be struck off in disgrace.

- Peter Van Onerous

He's already said he will be using this as a platform to push for a fully funded NDIS, and more inclusion for people with disabilities.

And half joking, I thought being a flog was a prerequisite for sportspeeps who get named Aussie of the year :p

carltonchelsea

Premium Gold
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
He's already said he will be using this as a platform to push for a fully funded NDIS, and more inclusion for people with disabilities.

And half joking, I thought being a flog was a prerequisite for sportspeeps who get named Aussie of the year :p
The reason I mentioned him being a flog, was that the people making these claims have worked in and around the media for a very long time, they’ve met “famous” people, big time names in the world of politics, film, music, sport etc.
The so called elite amongst us, and for them to call him out as opposed to many others who’d they’ve claimed as “very friendly, sociable, infectiously engaging, funny” etc. was a tad disappointing on his behalf.
I bloody well hope he does this and holds either side of gov. to account as I’ve personally seen the destructive nature of the cuts by the current Morrison gov.
It’s a wonderful scheme Julia set up and should be bloody fully supported.
$38+ billion to companies that didn’t require support during Covid is a ******* crime.
ICAC NOW!!!

The reason I mentioned him being a flog, was that the people making these claims have worked in and around the media for a very long time, they’ve met “famous” people, big time names in the world of politics, film, music, sport etc.
The so called elite amongst us, and for them to call him out as opposed to many others who’d they’ve claimed as “very friendly, sociable, infectiously engaging, funny” etc. was a tad disappointing on his behalf.
I bloody well hope he does this and holds either side of gov. to account as I’ve personally seen the destructive nature of the cuts by the current Morrison gov.
It’s a wonderful scheme Julia set up and should be bloody fully supported.
$38+ billion to companies that didn’t require support during Covid is a ******* crime.
ICAC NOW!!!

Steve Waugh was a flog. Noone cared. Why does it matter if you're in a chair?

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
xstevewaugh-1643538260.jpg.pagespeed.ic.YtYCUaD0wP.jpg

On the balance of probabilities, I've always thought that the person calling another person a flog, is more likely to be more of a flog than the person he or she has called a flog.... I dont have any proof of that theory.

this formula supports the assertion

images

carltonchelsea

Premium Gold
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Nothing to do with him being in a chair, I didn’t mention that as any reason for his assumed floggery.
I’d reckon some of his personality has been formed by being told he couldn’t do something his entire life, he’s proved many those wrong.
I hope he does good work as AOTY.👍

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Nothing to do with him being in a chair, I didn’t mention that as any reason for his assumed floggery.
I’d reckon some of his personality has been formed by being told he couldn’t do something his entire life, he’s proved many those wrong.
I hope he does good work as AOTY.👍

He might be something to do with his buoyant nature. Some people might find it a little contrived. Ironically, the people making their assessments of his floggery are probably doing their best to impress the world with their super coolness.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
He might be something to do with his buoyant nature. Some people might find it a little contrived. Ironically, the people making their assessments of his floggery are probably doing their best to impress the world with their super coolness.
A lot of people also aren't huge fans of men who are apparently sleazy and gropey towards women.

Back