AFLW Gold Coast vs Richmond Sunday 30 January, 5.10pm Metricon (Melb time)

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched the game yet. Not sure I will TBO.

Yeah I mentioned this previously. Jacques was tried in the midfield in our first year after doing ok there in VFLW but pace was an issue at AFLW level back then. Game is even quicker now.

She then became that small pressure forward with mixed results.

Still might be work in progress - after a very ordinary first game this season, she has been involved in some really good moments through assists. That shows the coaches she can do it. Getting her involvement level at a higher energy and greater frequency is the biggest challenge.

missed the game at the tennis ,,,did we ever look like winning ,, a glance at the stats ,,like 1/2 of their I50s,, had me thinking we were lucky to be that close
Absolutely looked like winning, led into the 4th qtr! Their composure was better and had twice as many inside 50's. We blew some chances, they blew even more but weight of numbers got them there. Thought Sarah Hosking was down a fair bit, Jess was very solid down back, we had Kiely go to Rowbottom which Rowbottom won but it wasn't all the time - so we lacked another mid with drive. Brancatasano was ordinary I thought and it was on her to lift with Mon Conti tagged heavily by Stanton. The team is screaming out for McKenzie. Thank goodness for Megan Kiely. Lavey was good without being dominant. Molan was disappointing.

Could really have used another ruck like Poppy (or even Alice Edmonds would have been handy right now). Gabby Seymour was great in her lone role, but she looked exhausted in the last qtr - having the luxury to rest her forward may have made a difference - think she will make great tall mid in time if we get that luxury.

Make no mistake, the humid conditions are sapping up here at the moment, and they played a huge part in our loss I think. It's an excuse, but the Suns would have been better conditioned and rested.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
missed the game at the tennis ,,,did we ever look like winning ,, a glance at the stats ,,like 1/2 of their I50s,, had me thinking we were lucky to be that close

In most cases, you would take that stat into account but not today, 5 goals from 40 entries tells you there inside '50s were rubbish. It's not like they had an extra 10-15 scoring shows where you can say lucky we did not kick straight from all our inside 50's. They only had 5 more points and 3 of their 5 goals literally bounced there way in, I couldn't believe on all occasions we didn't have someone on the goal line.

I am actually gutted we lost, feel for the girls as they gave it their all but we do need to get more runners in that side and players who can kick the ball.
It's a work in progress yes but without disrespecting GC, had Mackenzie, Wakefield, Poppy, and Cordner played it would be a 3-4 goal win by the tiges.

yeah like AstuteTiger posted, the I50 difference wasn't a huge factor, like against Freo
our I50 were bad, theirs was far worse, the final score was a true reflection of the result

Still might be work in progress - after a very ordinary first game this season, she has been involved in some really good moments through assists. That shows the coaches she can do it. Getting her involvement level at a higher energy and greater frequency is the biggest challenge.

This is pretty much the issue for a few of our players.

This is pretty much the issue for a few of our players.

Agreed, nice things more often from consistent inputs. Good coaching of Sarah Sansonetti yesterday MR2 ;) Watch the game for that alone mate!
:D

How many games now have we given away a 50 in the first qtr for a simple goal - almost feels like our trademark put our self under pressure moment!

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Absolutely looked like winning, led into the 4th qtr! Their composure was better and had twice as many inside 50's. We blew some chances, they blew even more but weight of numbers got them there. Thought Sarah Hosking was down a fair bit, Jess was very solid down back, we had Kiely go to Rowbottom which Rowbottom won but it wasn't all the time - so we lacked another mid with drive. Brancatasano was ordinary I thought and it was on her to lift with Mon Conti tagged heavily by Stanton. The team is screaming out for McKenzie. Thank goodness for Megan Kiely. Lavey was good without being dominant. Molan was disappointing.

Could really have used another ruck like Poppy (or even Alice Edmonds would have been handy right now). Gabby Seymour was great in her lone role, but she looked exhausted in the last qtr - having the luxury to rest her forward may have made a difference - think she will make great tall mid in time if we get that luxury.

Make no mistake, the humid conditions are sapping up here at the moment, and they played a huge part in our loss I think. It's an excuse, but the Suns would have been better conditioned and rested.

spot on post phar Ace
but Rowbottom beat Kiely pretty easily, 19 disp to 6, the amount of times Rowbottom had 2 of our players tackle her & was still able to dish the ball out, was a factor in their outside run & 30 more disp

Drennan, Rowbottom, Stanton & Whitfort cut us up in the midfield, contributed to double our clearances 27 to 14
we had only Conti driving out of the midfield, with Dempsey mainly from defence

Lavey was down, Brancatisano & S.Hosking were ineffectual, Kiely well beaten, Molan played poorly
pretty much the same old story when we lose, Conti & then not much after

the humidity was a factor, you could tell thru out the game, GCS coming off a 14 day break

Gabby Seymour having the luxury to rest her forward may have made a difference - think she will make great tall mid in time if we get that luxury.
i look fwd to the day that Gabby wont have to ruck full time, she would make a fantastic old time ruck rover
Seymour & McKenzie would make a great Batman & Robin in the midfield, both tall, athletic & can take a strong mark

Last edited:
Surely the supporter of the year. What an asset to the club bagging a young girl trying to make it in her first year of AFLW.

Try the ignore button. Bliss.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
There was a bit of play in the last quarter where Katie Brennan took a mark just outside our 50 on the flank wheeled and kicked it to CHF with Molan running fwd in a one on one with Kalinda Howarth ( the one who played for the head high but got up without the trainers coming out)

Molan has nearly 10cm on her and probably 15 kilo and didnt fight for position to try and take the mark just tried to bring it to ground.
That is the most disappointed I have been in Molan.
We can only play the cards in our hand but fmd if we have someone that size why isnt she being taught to use her size to her advantage.
She can take a tackle and handball but thats it.

We are still being affected by the sh.t decisions of Kate Sheehan and Tom Hunter in setting up the team and how they mived forward.

We do have injuries but it’s one fwd, one defender, one midfielder, one ruck.
If you havent built a list to cover that you’ve done a poor job.

yeah Cdog it's hard, but our one fwd, one defender, one midfielder, one ruck are in our best 10 players, & irreplaceable with the list we've got ATM

can't replace Cordner because McLaren was already out for the season, the only like for like, other than Miller

can't replace Wakefield because there's no one like her on our list, McKenzie maybe, but guess what, she's injured

can't replace McKenzie because there's no one like her on our list, Houtsma? not ATM

can't replace Kelly as she's our one true ruck, tall, big & strong, doesn't need to jump, can just stand there

the worst group of players to be injured, if it was Stahl(fwd), McLaren (def), Burchell(mid) injured & if we had another backup ruck, we wouldn't care less

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah Cdog it's hard, but our one fwd, one defender, one midfielder, one ruck are in our best 10 players, & irreplaceable with the list we've got ATM

can't replace Cordner because McLaren was already out for the season, the only like for like, other than Miller

can't replace Wakefield because there's no one like her on our list, McKenzie maybe, but guess what, she's injured

can't replace McKenzie because there's no one like her on our list, Houtsma? not ATM

can't replace Kelly as she's our one true ruck, tall, big & strong, doesn't need to jump, can just stand there

the worst group of players to be injured, if it was Stahl(fwd), McLaren (def), Burchell(mid) injured & if we had another backup ruck, we wouldn't care less
Yeah but not having any options isnt good enough.
Thats planning to be able to handle a problem.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

fair point Cdog

i posted before the season started, that we would struggle if we didn't have our best out on the park every game

i was told i'm too pessimistic in us winning 4-5 games, we'll wait & see what happens

toenail63

Senior List
Dec 6, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
It wasn’t overly humid by Queensland standards but to fly up and play same day for you Melbourne folk not ideal, as no time to acclimatise and it would have been telling by the last quarter.

I watched the highlights and listened to Ferg’s presser and thought it was interesting that this seems like a line in the sand moment. I’m glad because as, Stan, Phar Ace and others have pointed out about our midfield, especially the last quarter, we were smashed in clearances. I hoped that this year we might see either Molan and/or Brancatisano make a jump, and have a break out season & show that they belong at the level. This is a big two months coming up for both of them. They’ve been on the list long enough and they need to show it soon, or they risk being let go at seasons end. We really are 2 to 3 decent mids understrength on our list makeup, & we only added Kiely during trade/draft period. Do we now play Meg MacDonald, who was part of Casey’s midfield last year and give her a go at it as we need to mix things up and send the message that you have to get better to keep your place. I also would be interested to see Gabby given a go as a bigger bodied mid in our rotations once Poppy returns. She could be 1 of the mids that we need to add to our list as she is already better then Molan and Brancatisano.

Poppy Kelly - Knee (Short Term)
Ellie McKenzie - Calf (Short Term)
Courtney Wakefield - Shoulder (Long Term)
Harriet Cordner - Knee (Season)

I agree with this. The ruck is the perfect example. MR2 quite rightly says or asks in the past do you allocate more than 2 places out of a list of 30 for this position. Right now you would say - absolutely! If there are any track watchers on here, you might be able to tell us if there is anyone that could come through - yes we have Laura Mac, but really? This is why I was a bit surprised we let Alice Edmonds go. Edmonds / Fredericks out and only Poppy Kelly in had to be a risk - maybe we tried something else and missed, I don't know. Right now we are exposed. What did we know about Poppy Kelly? If there was any history or inkling of injury recurrence - then we slipped up. Poppy is a good get, but we need back up!

Our mids are looking slim and slow. Pace can be an illusion if we have good ball users, but guess what, we are not that either. So we have to be contested. We have too many that are not that either. Fortunately form and attitude are not static - they can improve and evolve. However, even when we looked OK, we struggled to use the ball well - well enough. If Sarah Hosking lifts and finds form again, and McKenzie is available, we look so much more competitive. Even then we are just an injury away from mediocre again.

The loss of Cordner exposes us down back badly. OK we have McLaren out too, but I didn't see her offering up much last season at Port to be frank. She is still young and work in progress. Perhaps she has developed.... I wouldn't like to hang my hat on it so I'm not sure that falls into the bad luck category (bad luck for her for sure, but the Club lost very little). Ross was improving but very slowly - I'd have Sansonetti (when back in form) over Ross 9 time out of 10. I didn't realise Chout is 29. A late adopter, but is she really worth the work from a footy pespective (lovely person).

Our transition work is killing us. Chains are few and far between. That's a skill deficit because there is plenty of space out there. Serious question. If we have the ball between the arcs, who do you want kicking it and to who? This often gets coughed up at the moment. The state of our basic averages this season are "wow" awful with a couple of exceptions (take a bow Mon):

1643620077189.png

1643620131660.png

Last edited:
fair point Cdog

i posted before the season started, that we would struggle if we didn't have our best out on the park every game

i was told i'm too pessimistic in us winning 4-5 games, we'll wait & see what happens
haha, don't take it to heart mate! I did preface my comment that not even a ball had been kicked in anger and going into the season you have to believe that what has been planned for will work. It would've worked, and we did need our best team much of the time, because we all agreed we were not deep. Don't we know that to be true! That said, we are way better than we were.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
fair point Cdog

It’s difficult to judge us Stan with such a decimated line up playing several that are off the standard or perhaps carrying injury . Saying that we have remained quite competitive , a pleasant surprise which is reflective of a solid game style. Out of interest how have the top 5 draftees sound the eagle performed so far

It wasn’t overly humid by Queensland standards but to fly up and play same day for you Melbourne folk not ideal, as no time to acclimatise and it would have been telling by the last quarter.
Interestingly Melbourne had a relative humidity level (RHL) of 92% on Friday (phew) and the girls left Sunday with 71% RHL and arrived and played in 74% RHL. Perhaps I'm getting old and uncomfortable - but feels worse that that this week! Alot of moisture in the air!

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

I watched the highlights and listened to Ferg’s presser and thought it was interesting that this seems like a line in the sand moment. I’m glad because as, Stan, Phar Ace and others have pointed out about our midfield, especially the last quarter, we were smashed in clearances. I hoped that this year we might see either Molan and/or Brancatisano make a jump, and have a break out season & show that they belong at the level. This is a big two months coming up for both of them. They’ve been on the list long enough and they need to show it soon, or they risk being let go at seasons end. We really are 2 to 3 decent mids understrength on our list makeup, & we only added Kiely during trade/draft period. Do we now play Meg MacDonald, who was part of Casey’s midfield last year and give her a go at it as we need to mix things up and send the message that you have to get better to keep your place. I also would be interested to see Gabby given a go as a bigger bodied mid in our rotations once Poppy returns. She could be 1 of the mids that we need to add to our list as she is already better then Molan and Brancatisano.
Have lost confidence in Molans ability to raise the fight , whether she’s hindered from leg injury , lacks fitness , she has slipped well off the level required ,,,branc has played decent footy at times and maybe could step up ,,,maybe

Wasn’t just missing Cordner, McKenzie and Wakefield from last years win against Gold Coast that was influential.

They went into this game with Stanton and Rowbottom who they didn't have last year (Stanton injured). That's pretty much their two best mids right there and 40 disposals between them.

They also had Perkins and Bohanna with over a dozen marks between them on the forward line and 3 of their 5 goals. Not there last year.

That's 4 ins that came away as 4 of their best players in this game.

Wasn’t just missing Cordner, McKenzie and Wakefield from last years win against Gold Coast that was influential.

They went into this game with Stanton and Rowbottom who they didn't have last year (Stanton injured). That's pretty much their two best mids right there and 40 disposals between them.

They also had Perkins and Bohanna with over a dozen marks between them on the forward line and 3 of their 5 goals. Not there last year.

That is the adversity of footy right there. They played their No1 draft pick and we didn't. But it is less about that, and more about who we didn't have step up. Otherwise you have caveats on every win and loss. That gap between the top 5 and the bottom 5 on the list is massive. We probably didn't play our bottom 5, but we are getting closer to it.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

No doubt , and I say it again remarkably only 5p separated us ,,,,we have such a long tail at the mo , nothing much we can do about it , means the load on the remaining good players becomes an extraordinary one

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
That is the adversity of footy right there. They played their No1 draft pick and we didn't. But it is less about that, and more about who we didn't have step up. Otherwise you have caveats on every win and loss. That gap between the top 5 and the bottom 5 on the list is massive. We probably didn't play our bottom 5, but we are getting closer to it.
That gap even bigger now as the W standard has improved , draftees arent stepping right in and making an immediate mark,,,I asked how the other top 5 are tracking , rowbottom perhaps , the rest like you’d expect from teenage talent. Slowly the depth will improve , still 3-5y away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back