AFLW Western Bulldogs vs Richmond Sunday 6 February, 1.10pm Whitten Oval

Well, this is a must win match.

Fingers crossed we don't have any Covid protocol outs after coming away from the game last week seemingly unscathed on the injury front.

Fingers crossed we are also closer top seeing Poppy and Ellie back in the side.

A few girls under the pump this week.

One player who is not and who has been a bit of surprise packet from the moment she ran out as a Tiger is Kate Dempsey. No superstar but just a hard working winger who, unlike some better credentialed players, seems to be able to find the ball. Has had a super last couple of games and showing gradual improvement which is all you can ask from a player.

Might be an injury cloud on Bulldogs Kirsty Lamb and Gemma Lagioia (both concussion) this week. C7 reported Kirsty came away from the Bowers incident with concussion while the Freo/Dogs match report also listed Gemma as a concussion. You wouldn't think AFL concussion protocols would allow them to play if accurate. Might be a lucky break for the Tiges.

Every look at our game fixture has me also looking at the WNBL fixture. Spirit plays Adelaide in Adelaide on the Sat at 4.30pm Adelaide time. Assuming she plays in this game hopefully Tessa is a chance to back up and play in our Sunday game. She is such an important player for us.

Kate Brennan and Monique Conti still chasing their first wins against their old side.

Anyway, let the convo on this game begin!

Last edited:
Dempsey also seems to be one of the few players in our side capable of getting to space having an average marks per game this season of 4.5, just behind D'arcy on 4.7 per game, whose marks are mostly contests or intercepts. After these two there is daylight............ though I'm sure if Wakefield could play she would be challenging with more than her 3.0

Who wins R5? Our AFLW experts help find you a winner​

NATHAN SCHMOOK​

Geelong - 17 points
Brisbane
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Adelaide
Fremantle
St Kilda

Last week: 6
Total: 24

GEMMA BASTIANI​

Geelong - 20 points
Brisbane
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Adelaide
Fremantle
St Kilda

Total: 23

SARAH BLACK​

Geelong – 15 points
Brisbane
Melbourne
Richmond
Adelaide
Fremantle
St Kilda

NAT EDWARDS​

Geelong - 16 points
Brisbane
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Adelaide
Fremantle
St Kilda

Last week: 5

RILEY BEVERIDGE​

Geelong - 23 points
Brisbane
Melbourne
Richmond
Adelaide
North Melbourne
St Kilda

Last week: 4
Total: 22

LUCY WATKIN​

Geelong - 18 points
Brisbane
Melbourne
Richmond
Adelaide
North Melbourne
St Kilda

Last week: 5
Total: 21

SARAH BURT​

Geelong - 14 points
Brisbane
Melbourne
Richmond
Adelaide
Fremantle
St Kilda

Last week: 4
Total: 21

LIBBY BIRCH​

Geelong - 15 points
Brisbane
Melbourne
Richmond
Adelaide
North Melbourne
St Kilda

Last week: 3
Total: 20

Amazing, a lot of tipsters are giving us a sniff (how appropriate given it's the Doggies)!

Like your work.

Doggies haven't won a game so prob fair enough. They have been unfortunate having had 2 games in a row postponed. A couple of losses and a brave effort against Freo. Hard to get a read on them as one of their losses was against Giants after not playing for 20 days and the other against one of the flag favourites in Dees.

No doubt they'll stack their forward line with height and try and stretch us.
Can't see them playing both Moody and Edmonds either. No point against just Seymour. They'd be better to play another mid and try and outrun our struggling midfield.

Like your work.

Doggies haven't won a game so prob fair enough. They have been unfortunate having had 2 games in a row postponed. A couple of losses and a brave effort against Freo. Hard to get a read on them as one of their losses was against Giants after not playing for 20 days and the other against one of the flag favourites in Dees.

No doubt they'll stack their forward line with height and try and stretch us.
Can't see them playing both Moody and Edmonds either. No point against just Seymour. They'd be better to play another mid and try and outrun our struggling midfield.

Great thoughts on the Doggies game. Never a truer word spoke.

It will be interesting to see how much height they go with - Edmonds has been OK, getting a lot of decent hitouts, has marked as well. But in this game you can have too much lumbering height - oh to have that as problem to solve atm.

I'd imagine McLelland and Burchell are back in. If we play McKenzie it could get interesting and perhaps she just plays forward.

Molan probably is not deserving her spot at the moment (though Stanley does see a lot more than the rest of us do :cool:) but as she gives enough size and is fit enough, she might get another go at it.

A lot is being asked of Lavey so i hope she is really OK with it and plays.
1643854722996.png

Who misses out will be interesting - show the faith or send a message?

1643865130592.png

2022 AFL Women's season: Round 5 preview​

Roar Guru

Western Bulldogs vs Richmond
Currently without a win from three matches, the Western Bulldogs will be desperate to get their season off the tarmac when they welcome Richmond to the Whitten Oval on Sunday.

Nathan Burke’s side have been hit hard by COVID, having two matches called off while on the Tuesday just passed they had to play a match against Fremantle brought forward from Round 10 just four days after losing to the GWS Giants in Sydney by 21 points.

Making matters worse, they were forced to fly out of Sydney after midnight, hampering their preparations for their clash against the Dockers.

Against the Giants, they only managed two goals despite having twelve more inside-50s, while they fought hard against the Dockers, being level with their opponents at halftime before going down by just six points.

They’ll face a tough challenge against the Tigers, who have only one win to show for their efforts – a 38-point thrashing of St Kilda in Round 1.

Since then they have lost their last three matches on the bounce; last week’s loss to the Gold Coast Suns came after they had led by eight points at three-quarter-time, and had a potential game-levelling goal by Katie Brennan touched by Suns defender Kalinda Howarth close to the death.

While the Tigers continue to show improvement, it will not mean anything if they cannot rack up regular wins, and on Sunday there’ll be no excuse if they fall to the COVID-hit Bulldogs away from home.

Prediction: Richmond by six points.

1643925293456.png

Gemma Bastiani

Western Bulldogs v Richmond at VU Whitten Oval, 1.10pm AEDT

• The Western Bulldogs came tantalisingly close to its first win of the season on Tuesday night, and will look to take that momentum into this home fixture against Richmond, which will also serve as the side's replacement Pride match. Around the ball, the trio of Ellie Blackburn, Kirsty Lamb and Jess Fitzgerald is growing stronger each game, and all look dangerous around forward stoppages.
  • Richmond has become vulnerable at each end of the ground, missing both Harriet Cordner in defence and Courtney Wakefield up forward. In their round one win, the Tigers took seven marks inside 50, making use of Wakefield's presentation at the ball, but have taken just three in each of their games since. Finding alternative methods of attack has been a slow process, and Katie Brennan is being asked to fill a lot of the gaps created by missing players. More experienced forwards like Tayla Stahl and Christina Bernardi need to help carry more of the weight that is currently landing on Brennan's shoulders.
  • Tip: The Dogs have been able to re-establish their backline, and that will hold them in good stead against the Tigers. Western Bulldogs by two points.

Game Day Hub​

By Richmond Media

Everything you need to know ahead of Sunday's Round 5 clash against the Western Bulldogs.

Get ready for Round 5 as Richmond take on the Western Bulldogs at VU Whitten Oval this Sunday afternoon.

Western Bulldogs v Richmond
Sunday February 5, 1:10pm AEDT
VU Whitten Oval

WHERE TO WATCH

The game will be broadcast on Fox Footy from 1.00pm AEDT. The game will also be streamed live on Kayo.

TICKETING

Tickets to this match are available via Ticketek.

Tickets are $10 for adults whilst juniors (aged 17 years & under) are free. Juniors must redeem a free ticket via Ticketek to enter the venue.

GATES OPEN

Gates open: 12.00pm

GETTING TO THE GAME

Public Transport

VU Whitten Oval is a short stroll from West Footscray station on the Sunbury/Watergardens line.

Parking

Limited street parking is available in the surrounding areas, make sure to check the signage for relevant restrictions.

WHAT ARE WE WEARING?

Richmond will be wearing our 2022 AFLW Home Guernsey.

COVID-19 MEASURES

Patrons are asked not to attend the game if they are unwell or have been asked to self-isolate or quarantine.  

Physical distancing must be maintained at all times 

Upon entering the stadium, scan the QR code displayed and ‘check in’ with your details.

Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 will be required to enter the stadium.

MEMBERSHIP

Being a 2022 AFLW member for $115 gives you free access all home games with exclusive W merchandise, or upgrade to our newest membership, the W+.

It's the best way to show your support for our Women's team!

AFLW PLAYER SPONSOR

Support your favourite AFLW player in 2022. Receive invites to Player Sponsor events, insider access and signed merchandise!

Sponsorships are very limited, to find out more, click here.

Need to find another avenue to goal for tomorrows game.
Katie Brennan had been great but more than likely she’ll have Eleanor Brown stand her. A very underrated defender in my eyes.

Laura Mc a cert to come in. Get the dart board out for any others.

We CANNOT concede any 50’s tomorrow. We’ve had 4 games to sort that stuff out.
No sloppy tackles in front of goal either.

Bulldogs haven’t been a high scoring team so if you gift goals you are putting yourself right behind the eight ball! Giving them an enormous lift.

Need to find another avenue to goal for tomorrows game.
Katie Brennan had been great but more than likely she’ll have Eleanor Brown stand her. A very underrated defender in my eyes.

Laura Mc a cert to come in. Get the dart board out for any others.

We CANNOT concede any 50’s tomorrow. We’ve had 4 games to sort that stuff out.
No sloppy tackles in front of goal either.

Bulldogs haven’t been a high scoring team so if you gift goals you are putting yourself right behind the eight ball! Giving them an enormous lift.

Yep, am intrigued where Ferg throws the darts. Is getting the game moved to Sunday enough for either EMac or Poppy to be ready?

Both listed as short term now, and this game has taken on an element of ":microphone:It's now or never" for this season (with that remarkable duo of Stanley singing the word 'NOW' and LordotWings singing the word 'NEVER')

Plus the girls seem to chatting about rolling WB for the first time for a couple of ex Doggies players in our side. Whatever motivates!

Eleanor Brown stand her. A very underrated defender in my eyes.
I was thinking that this week, the times I’ve seen her play on her I dunno that KB has clearly won her position.
I was driving past the Port Melbourne ground yesterday picking up some stuff from Bunnings and had a flashback to when we got stiffed in the VFLW finals against em.
“Accidentally” trigger the 6,6,6 rule to waste time while the umps count the players when we were flying home with shots on goal and less than a kick down when that sh.t runs the clock down.
Still annoys me.

I don’t think in the past KB has been as ready to play as she seems this season, I got a feeling she might threaten to tear open this game.
Hope so.

Richmond's Round 5 AFLW Team v Western Bulldogs:

B Bec Miller, Gabby Seymour

HB Beth Lynch, Jess Hosking, Maddy Shevlin

C Tessa Lavey, Monique Conti, Kate Dempsey

HF Meg Macdonald, Emelia Yassir, Tayla Stahl,

F Katie Brennan, Sarah D’Arcy

R Poppy Kelly, Sarah Hosking, Maddy Brancatisano

I/C Sarah Sansonetti, Laura McClelland, Hannah Burchall, Ellie McKenzie, Kodi Jacques

EMG Sophie Molan, Akec Makur Chuot

In: Burchell, Kelly, McClelland, McKenzie, Macdonald

Out: Molan (omitted), Bernardi (knee soreness), Dargan (omitted), Reid (omitted), Kiely (managed)

Right call on Sophie Molan but how do you find form without games at a lower level? Need to align AFLW with VFLW next year for the whole season.

100% agree, no doubt the coach knows the situation best, or at least should. Yeah, having nowhere but training to get your form back is tricky. Does cricket impact on your suggestion? Does that then kick the problem down the road? I guess the best U18's and 16's are playing right now too - so why not!

I like D’Arcy forward too but not sure about Gabby back.
D'arcy forward will be interesting to watch, great hands, just not sure it is out best structure. So want to see Gabby play mid - reckon she has the right intensity for it!

McKenzie’s back! Yay!
That is who I would play forward (she may anyway), use D'arcy in her usual role to allow Shevlin to rotate through the midfield. All will be revealed.....

100% agree, no doubt the coach knows the situation best, or at least should. Yeah, having nowhere but training to get your form back is tricky. Does cricket impact on your suggestion? Does that then kick the problem down the road? I guess the best U18's and 16's are playing right now too - so why not!
You are probably right. Ground availability would be an issue. In a perfect world Sophie would have been eased back with a few VFLW games first.

Back