Opinion Which club do you hate the most?

Which club do you hate the most?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne FC created the sport????

Yes. The original rules of the game were called the Melbourne Rules and created by the Melbourne Football Club.

Year-by-Year History | Melbourne Football Club

On May 17, a group meets at Jerry Bryant’s Parade Hotel and drafts the first ‘Rules of the Melbourne Football Club’. Tom Wills, William Hammersley, James Thompson and Thomas Smith join Bryant at the meeting. Thomas Wray is also present, but does not put his name to the rules. The 10 rules form the evolution of Australian rules football. The Melbourne Football Club is formalised.

Last edited:

Well one of their founders did but it turns he was probably a racist psycho who murdered hundreds of Indigenous Australians, so it's not something I would be proud of if I was a Dees fan.
Cancel the sport?

Who hates Melbourne? Seriously? They have been such a non entity in virtually everybody's lifetime. Outside of Garry Lyon I really can't think of a reason? They have a pretty good side at the minute, devoid of any really hateable players. Let them have their time in the sun. Let their supporters gloat. They are at about a tenth of the bigfooty Richmond supporters insuffarbleness at the minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never had many bad words to say about the Bombers until they and their over rated Coach lost the unloseable 1990 Grand Final. *

It broke with tradition and for the first time I had to pay out many bottles of Scotch, Irish and Bourbon to mates who barracked for the Pies. (of course I was still way ahead on previous bets against the Pies in GFs)

* Their fans are different. I was at Windy Hill the day Rotten Ronnie Andrews was knocked out (after several filth acts) by Stewie Gull. The weeping, howls of outrage and carry on from Bomber fans in the Outer was truly something to behold as the bully with a glass jaw finally got his just desserts and was carried off on a stretcher.

Look, to them their club is a fashion accessory until the umpires get involved and then they become so emotionally wrapped up in umpiring that they create a toxic and poisonous atmosphere.

I love when Games and crowds turn poisonous as that is when you get the best atmosphere, unfortunately it occurs all too often against the big boys from Tulla and in most cases, it’s on the back of very little.

Outside of the non-footy heartland support, they are without doubt the least knowledgeable about both their team and the game in general. (Obvious exceptions around these parts) but never will you sit near one and enjoy their company or banter during the game, never.

Still GWS. But a year of hearing Dees fans gloating might change that
Do I start now so we can test the theory?

Nah. Stuff that. GWS are pretty floggy so I might even join you

Has always been and always will be the Crows.

Anyone who barracks for Port and says otherwise is ignoring history.

Was over my parents house the other day for my dads birthday, we watched a YouTube clip on the grand final, my dad said it's unfortunate that it happened against the western Bulldogs and wished it was against Collingwood, bombers or Carlton one of the traditional big clubs which is fair enough even said 97 should have been saints vs Doggies, which is fair enough the vfl vs the rest is more ingrained in the older supporters. If my dad went on big footy probably would be less sympathetic towards the Doggies. Personally Bulldogs aren't that high on my hate ladder but I feel the next few years will be very interesting. Pre 2007 Geelong were okay but now the hatred is deep. Perhaps might happen with the Doggies.

Who hates Melbourne? Seriously? They have been such a non entity in virtually everybody's lifetime. Outside of Garry Lyon I really can't think of a reason? They have a pretty good side at the minute, devoid of any really hateable players. Let them have their time in the sun. Let their supporters gloat. They are at about a tenth of the bigfooty Richmond supporters insuffarbleness at the minute.

In all fairness.. Melbourne did invent this sport and wrote the rules to it, after the club itself was founded by a group of cricketers looking for a way to keep fit over the off season. Hence why the home of football is the Melbourne CRICKET Ground.

However... having said that, the Melbourne Football Club did try to takeover the Hawthorn Football Club in 1996.. the merger proposal was a merger in name only, AKA takeover in disguise!! So I expect Hawthorn fans to hate Melbourne.

Sadly, we ended up losing Fitzroy.. who were taken over by Brisbane. Aside from the 'Lions' moniker... the club is merely a re branded Brisbane Bears franchise!!

Sadly, we ended up losing Fitzroy.. who were taken over by Brisbane. Aside from the 'Lions' moniker... the club is merely a re branded Brisbane Bears franchise!!

Honestly, there wasn't much of Fitzroy left! Even their final game in Melbourne didn't bring out the biggest crowd
They had no home (Brunswick-->Junction-->Victoria Park-->Princes Park-->Western Oval) . Few supporters (relatively). No money. No training facilities. A transient playing list that lost its core between 1991-1994. Clubs were vultures on the carcass of that club (Pert, Osborne, Broderick, Dundas, M.Gale, Seecamp, Lynch, Blakey (admittedly a trade, but Blakey>>>>McCarthy)

Matt Rendel has said numerous times that Fitzroy should have moved to Brisbane after 1986, and staying in Melbourne was a mistake. The club finished 3rd in 1986, and membership went backwards in 1987

Losing Fitzroy is one of the saddest chapters in the game and ideally should never have happened, but Fitzroy was never going to exist any longer as the game headed in a corporate direction. The importance of a defined home base is crucial. Even perennial battlers North and the 'Dogs have upgraded their traditional homes to community centres (admittedly it took a long time). Losing Brunswick Oval was the death knell for Fitzroy. Thank the cricket club for that.

I also think Melbourne & Fitzroy should have merged. Melbourne Lions. It would have kept Fitzroy's base in Melbourne, and I think changing the name of their club to the capital city would have been far better received

Also, I hate 'Essedon', and have since the early 90s. The drug saga was a comedy show for me, and James Hird was over-idolised as this perfect golden-boy by their own supporters. Ultimately, he bit off more than he could chew and was way out of his depth, but refused to actually acknowledge that he had made a mistake (even false-idols are human, after all).

Back