Remove this Banner Ad

From Jack's link above.

Cleo is not expected to front the cameras, according to the West Australian.

Several officers close to the investigation told the publication the timing of the mini series is 'highly inappropriate for any episode to be airing prior to completion of the judicial process'.

The episodes are also set to be aired on streaming service Stan while the case remains before the court.

It seems wrong that the interview has been recorded and will be aired while the case is still going on.

Interesting to see how this is played out. Hopefully Cleo will have a private life afterwards
I think I read that it’s going on Stan first (?)

Why couldn't they wait to do the interview after the case?

They could - only plausible reason I can think of Jack is - Ch.9 lose their 'exclusive' tag, assuming the Smith's 60 minute interview will include similar details to what will be presented in the mid-March sentencing hearing related to their victim impact statements..?
But for this reason alone you would think the DPP and/or legal counsel for TK would formally request this broadcast not/not be aired prior..?

And for those thinking this 60 minute broadcast will not interfere with legal proceedings - what if the Smith's publicly state that CS's recollection of events were simply to her 'a strange adventure', that while anxious in her new surroundings she never felt threatened in anyway etc. This would be a boon as part of the defense's arguments (seeking a reduced sentence) that during CS's illegal captivity, in summary TK provided an environment of care, not danger..!

Last edited:
I’m no law talking guy but could TK retract his guilty plea after the interview airs but prior to his sentencing?

Daniel Holdom who murdered Karlie Peirce and her daughter Khandalyce tried here but his application was rejected. There might already be some kind of deal in place or in progress not to prosecute Kelly on the remaining charges once he's sentenced so should he try to change his mind, there's that.

Anybody's guess what might happen with it though.

Holdom's lawyer made a surprise request in the NSW Supreme Court on Friday to revoke his guilty plea for killing Khandalyce, saying his client had trouble "digesting" the case against him.

But in rejecting the application, Justice Robert Hulme noted Holdom had an experienced legal team and he was not satisfied the 44-year-old did not understand what he was pleading to.

Daniel Holdom who murdered Karlie Peirce and her daughter Khandalyce tried here but his application was rejected. There might already be some kind of deal in place or in progress not to prosecute Kelly on the remaining charges once he's sentenced so should he try to change his mind, there's that.

Anybody's guess what might happen with it though.

Holdom's lawyer made a surprise request in the NSW Supreme Court on Friday to revoke his guilty plea for killing Khandalyce, saying his client had trouble "digesting" the case against him.

But in rejecting the application, Justice Robert Hulme noted Holdom had an experienced legal team and he was not satisfied the 44-year-old did not understand what he was pleading to.

Thanks for that.

Would hate to see this backfire and give TK some angle, leverage or loophole. Something just doesn’t sit right about the interview.

Thanks for that.

Would hate to see this backfire and give TK some angle, leverage or loophole. Something just doesn’t sit right about the interview.
Agree, I just can't understand it !! You never know though, its quite possible there is some one working behind the scenes to get it legally pulled. But they better work a bit quicker, Sunday is not far away!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that.

My thoughts exactly, hope the interview doesn't change the case and TK's lawyers find a loophole after the interview is aired.

Do I watch it?
Don't I watch it?

It's going to air regardless so does it really matter if I do or don't? I'm so torn with this one
I feel the same, its too soon as the trial hasnt even begun, but I'm going to watch it. They have every right to 'milk' this situation, you would be silly not to, as long as Cleo is kept out of it. I wish the family all the best and hope this money sets them and Cleo up for a happy quiet life.

the trial hasnt even begun
What trial?

'his guilty plea has been entered at what is considered to be an early stage of the court proceedings, avoiding the need for a trial, and sparing Cleo and her family from having to testify in court.'

What trial?

'his guilty plea has been entered at what is considered to be an early stage of the court proceedings, avoiding the need for a trial, and sparing Cleo and her family from having to testify in court.'

Yes, I think some are missing the basics of our judicial system, with the media's usual focus on headlines probably being a contributing factor.

A 'trial' is only required when the accused pleads 'not guilty' to one or more charges. Guilty pleas simply proceed to a 'sentencing hearing'.

I did not see the 60 minute 'exclusive' with the Smiths last night, for those who did - any feedback..?

Last edited:
Yes, I think some are missing the basics of our judicial system, with the media's usual focus on headlines probably being a contributing factor.

A 'trial' is only required when the accused pleads 'not guilty' to one or more charges. Guilty pleas simply proceed to a 'sentencing hearing'.

I did not see the 60 minute 'exclusive' with the Smiths last night, for those who did - any feedback..?
Its tonight

That would be for the kidnapping charge, we don't appear to know yet whether the remaining charges are to be withdrawn, stayed or to be heard possibly in a lower court?

That would be for the kidnapping charge, we don't appear to know yet whether the remaining charges are to be withdrawn, stayed or to be heard possibly in a lower court?

As I suggested earlier - depending on the sentencing outcome for child stealing, providing it's commensurate to the crime undertaken, the prosecution will probably not pursue the laundry list of conceivable related charges, false imprisonment etc.

A reduced sentence based on TK's early guilty plea and other factors is one thing, but if for example the sentencing outcome is just a minimum 3 years in a secure section of Graylands hospital, I'm pretty sure the prosecution with either appeal this and/or pursue further related charges...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back