Preview Round 1 2022 - Adelaide vs Fremantle, March 20, 2022

How many wins for the Crows in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the 2 years without an AFL game is that relevant.

If he gets through preseason, he's ready to play AFL football. The question is more along the lines of "Is Milera in our best 22?".
Of course it's relevant

How do you want to ease him in?

He returned to full training in December. He still has another 6 weeks to improve his fitness before playing in the preseason game on March 5th.

If he gets through the game on March 5th he plays round 1. The SANFL ain't gonna do him any good.
I'll be staggered if that happens. He will need SANFL games to build form and game fitness.

Everyone won't have played an AFL game for nearly 6 months

Milera will be rusty but so will everyone else
Most players would come back through the 2s after 24 months out of AFL footy.

Doesn't have to be more than a couple of weeks.

Most players would come back through the 2s after 24 months out of AFL footy.

Doesn't have to be more than a couple of weeks.

Preseason games effectively are "the twos"

FF: McAdam - Thilthorpe - Keays
HF: McHenry - Fogarty - Sloane

C: Seedsman - Crouch - Dawson
R: O'Brien - Laird - Schoenberg

HB: Milera - McAsey - Smith
FB: Jones - Butts - Doedee

Bench: Hamill, Brown, Sholl, Hately

Emergency: Berry, Murray, Pedlar, Gallant, Pick 4, Rowe, Cook.

This is assuming that M Crouch and Milera are back anywhere near healthy.

If Milera misses - Cook comes in. If Crouch misses - Berry comes in.

Attempt at best 22 - #2.

FF: McAdam - Thilthorpe - Rachele

C: Seedsman - Keays - Dawson

HB: Milera - Frampton - Smith

Bench: Berry, Brown, Sholl, Hately

Emergency: Murray, Pedlar, Gallant, Rowe, Cook, McAsey, McPherson.

For me the biggest decisions will be:

Frampton vs Murray
3 out of McAdam, Rachele, McHenry and Rowe
2 out of Berry, Cook, Hately.

I dropped Crouch. Having surgery in Mid October again and having no positive articles on him since - I am fearing the worst.

Attempt at best 22 - #2.

FF: McAdam - Thilthorpe - Rachele

C: Seedsman - Keays - Dawson

HB: Milera - Frampton - Smith

Bench: Berry, Brown, Sholl, Hately

Emergency: Murray, Pedlar, Gallant, Rowe, Cook, McAsey, McPherson.

For me the biggest decisions will be:

Frampton vs Murray

I dropped Crouch. Having surgery in Mid October again and having no positive articles on him since - I am fearing the worst.

Frampton vs Murray

Frampton vs Murray will be interesting one. I'm running with Frampton cause his contract is out the end of the year. See if he has anything to offer with a clean run.

I have McAdam and Mchenry in with the last position a battle with Rowe, Rachelle & Newchurch.

2 out of Berry, Cook, Hately. I think Berry and Cook have gone past Hately and I reckon pedlar with be by the end of the year.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I look forward to Drugs Are Bad Mackay? inventing another budding superstar who was forced to the bench to make way for Liam to discredit this post.

I never derided Jones' ability to torch rookies from woeful bottom four clubs.

And aren't Carlton now in a wonderful position as a result. Really given them something to build on.

(Some) Adelaide fans: "Let's do what Carlton did"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox footy predicted round 1 team.

Think they've done a decent job, just a bit short down back. Murry in for McPherson playing CHB.

B: Luke Brown, Jordon Butts, Andrew McPherson

HB: Brodie Smith, Tom Doedee, Wayne Milera

C: Jordan Dawson, Ben Keays, Paul Seedsman

HF: Harry Schoenberg, Riley Thilthorpe, Shane McAdam

F: Ned McHenry, Darcy Fogarty, Josh Rachele

FOLL: Reilly O’Brien, Rory Laird, Rory Sloane

I/C: Matt Crouch, Chayce Jones, Will Hamill, Lachlan Sholl

In: Jordan Dawson, Josh Rachele, Jake Soligo, Zac Taylor, Luke Nankervis

Out: Tom Lynch, David Mackay, Tyson Stengle, Daniel Talia, Jake Kelly, Ronin O’Connor

WE SAY: Taylor Walker won’t be there as he’ll still be serving a club-imposed suspension. We’ve named Paul Seedsman, but the Crows are taking a cautious approach with the star winger after suffering a concussion prior to Christmas. Lachlan Murphy might be touch-and-go for Round 1 after off-season surgery on a bulging disc in his neck, so we’ve named top-six pick Josh Rachele — an uber-talented forward-midfielder blessed with goalkicking nous that has added significant size to his frame since arriving at West Lakes. They’ve added class on the outside in former Swans star Jordan Dawson, who Adelaide have said will play across wing and half back. We pushed him up onto the wing given the club’s plethora of defensive options, with Wayne Milera and Luke Brown returning from long-term injuries. Although Milera was set to get more midfield time himself before getting struck down with injury in 2021. Matt Crouch returns to give the midfield more grunt and round it out. There remains several other youngsters who’ll be pushing for senior selection including Billy Frampton, Sam Berry, Luke Pedlar, Fischer McAsey and Elliott Himmelberg

Frampton vs Murray

Frampton vs Murray will be interesting one. I'm running with Frampton cause his contract is out the end of the year. See if he has anything to offer with a clean run.

I have McAdam and Mchenry in with the last position a battle with Rowe, Rachelle & Newchurch.

2 out of Berry, Cook, Hately. I think Berry and Cook have gone past Hately and I reckon pedlar with be by the end of the year.

I've heard Hately has had a pretty impressive pre-season

Seems he is over his groin issues I wouldn't be putting a line through him just yet

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fox footy predicted round 1 team.

Think they've done a decent job, just a bit short down back. Murry in for McPherson playing CHB.

B: Luke Brown, Jordon Butts, Andrew McPherson

HB: Brodie Smith, Tom Doedee, Wayne Milera

C: Jordan Dawson, Ben Keays, Paul Seedsman

HF: Harry Schoenberg, Riley Thilthorpe, Shane McAdam

F: Ned McHenry, Darcy Fogarty, Josh Rachele

FOLL: Reilly O’Brien, Rory Laird, Rory Sloane

I/C: Matt Crouch, Chayce Jones, Will Hamill, Lachlan Sholl

In: Jordan Dawson, Josh Rachele, Jake Soligo, Zac Taylor, Luke Nankervis

Out: Tom Lynch, David Mackay, Tyson Stengle, Daniel Talia, Jake Kelly, Ronin O’Connor

WE SAY: Taylor Walker won’t be there as he’ll still be serving a club-imposed suspension. We’ve named Paul Seedsman, but the Crows are taking a cautious approach with the star winger after suffering a concussion prior to Christmas. Lachlan Murphy might be touch-and-go for Round 1 after off-season surgery on a bulging disc in his neck, so we’ve named top-six pick Josh Rachele — an uber-talented forward-midfielder blessed with goalkicking nous that has added significant size to his frame since arriving at West Lakes. They’ve added class on the outside in former Swans star Jordan Dawson, who Adelaide have said will play across wing and half back. We pushed him up onto the wing given the club’s plethora of defensive options, with Wayne Milera and Luke Brown returning from long-term injuries. Although Milera was set to get more midfield time himself before getting struck down with injury in 2021. Matt Crouch returns to give the midfield more grunt and round it out. There remains several other youngsters who’ll be pushing for senior selection including Billy Frampton, Sam Berry, Luke Pedlar, Fischer McAsey and Elliott Himmelberg

Berry and Murray in for McPherson and Seedsman (injury).
Hinge in for Hamill. Hamill may have progressed over off season though, outstanding talent - so would be a bonus if so.

FB: Brown ~ Butts ~ Doedee
HB: Smith ~ Murray ~ Milera
C: Dawson ~ Crouch ~ Hinge
R: O'Brien ~ Laird ~ Sloane
HF: Keays ~ Thilthorpe ~ McAdam
FF: Rachele ~ Fogarty ~ McHenry
B: Berry ~ Sholl ~ Jones ~ Schoenberg

Hately - if he can build into best 22 over the season it's a bonus
Worrell - career looking shaky. Probably needs to become a third tall defender and force Doedee into half back spot.
McPherson - interesting spot in mix. Could see him pushing past Brown if his composure and one on one skills improve.
McAsey - not expecting much this year. A few games rotating through forward line and backline may be pass mark.
Murphy - for the future I don't want him to be best 22. Will get games but gets phased out in 2023.
Pedlar - no rush in first half of year. Would expect him to push to be best 22 by year's end. Probably for an injured player.
Cook - probably starts outside 22 but goes past McAdam quickly.
Rowe - tough to miss out. May get picked ahead of Rachele or at least play when he can't
Tex - probably plays 15 games. Hope it's early 2021 form.
Frampton - break glass in case of emergency.
Strachan - should get games where ROBs form slips.
Gollant - unsure. Could play 0, 10 or 15 games. Probably finds it harder to push into 22 than in 2021.
Himmelburg - delist pile or trade to GC.

Newchurch and Borlase. Wildcards. Could play a game or two to get exposed.

Parnell, Soligo, Taylor, Nankervis - don't expect games.

For round 1 with a month to go:

B: Brown - Butts - Worrell
HB: Smith - Murray - Doedee
C: Dawson - Schoenberg - Sholl
HF: Sloane - Thilthorpe - McHenry
FF: Gollant - Fogarty - Rachele
R: O'Brien - Laird - Keays
Int: Jones - Crouch - Berry - Cook

I think there is only one genuine call we need to make in the defensive set up coming into 2022 and that's how do we plan to use Doedee moving forwards. Personally I like the idea of moving him towards a Kelly like role against the mid sized guys and bringing in Worrell who could have an Alir type impact on this side. That said the other direction would likely involve a Hinge or a Milera in our defensive set up, so I don't particularly feel like there is an obvious right decision as regardless, we're getting a spike in our offensive production.

I can't say I'm particularly enamoured with our midfield selections, and in particular, it feels like retaining Crouch was a mistake (as much as it ended up being a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, seeing how little interest he garnered) as it's an uncomfortably experienced group for where we are at. That said Schoenberg becomes a permanent midfielder, Keays, Berry and Sloane are the mid/half forward choices. With Seedsman looking like he'll be out, our outside mids pick themselves.

Forward wise, I don't think there is anything too surprising going on with those selections. Fogarty is the stop gap for Tex, Gollant gets a shot to lock down a third tall role (as he's the most likely in my eyes to cement it out of all of our prospects coming into '22), Thilthorpe gets a taste of CHF before Tex comes back and Rachele gets the first shot at locking down a small forward role in this campaign. Cook and Berry should rotate through.

Probably the harshest call is Milera, but that comes because I'm more interested in seeing Jones/Sholl at this point. He'll get his shot once injuries/form issues mount up.

My smokey for a 2022 debut at some point out of those who weren't selected: Sogilio.

Berry and Murray in for McPherson and Seedsman (injury).
Hinge in for Hamill. Hamill may have progressed over off season though, outstanding talent - so would be a bonus if so.

FB: Brown ~ Butts ~ Doedee
HB: Smith ~ Murray ~ Milera
C: Dawson ~ Crouch ~ Hinge
R: O'Brien ~ Laird ~ Sloane
HF: Keays ~ Thilthorpe ~ McAdam
FF: Rachele ~ Fogarty ~ McHenry
B: Berry ~ Sholl ~ Jones ~ Schoenberg

Hately - if he can build into best 22 over the season it's a bonus
Worrell - career looking shaky. Probably needs to become a third tall defender and force Doedee into half back spot.
McPherson - interesting spot in mix. Could see him pushing past Brown if his composure and one on one skills improve.
McAsey - not expecting much this year. A few games rotating through forward line and backline may be pass mark.
Murphy - for the future I don't want him to be best 22. Will get games but gets phased out in 2023.
Pedlar - no rush in first half of year. Would expect him to push to be best 22 by year's end. Probably for an injured player.
Cook - probably starts outside 22 but goes past McAdam quickly.
Rowe - tough to miss out. May get picked ahead of Rachele or at least play when he can't
Tex - probably plays 15 games. Hope it's early 2021 form.
Frampton - break glass in case of emergency.
Strachan - should get games where ROBs form slips.
Gollant - unsure. Could play 0, 10 or 15 games. Probably finds it harder to push into 22 than in 2021.
Himmelburg - delist pile or trade to GC.

Newchurch and Borlase. Wildcards. Could play a game or two to get exposed.

Parnell, Soligo, Taylor, Nankervis - don't expect games.
I don't reckon Taylor will be far off

For round 1 with a month to go:

B: Brown - Butts - Worrell
HB: Smith - Murray - Doedee
C: Dawson - Schoenberg - Sholl
FF: Gollant - Fogarty - Rachele
R: O'Brien - Laird - Keays
Int: Jones - Crouch - Berry - Cook

I think there is only one genuine call we need to make in the defensive set up coming into 2022 and that's how do we plan to use Doedee moving forwards. Personally I like the idea of moving him towards a Kelly like role against the mid sized guys and bringing in Worrell who could have an Alir type impact on this side. That said the other direction would likely involve a Hinge or a Milera in our defensive set up, so I don't particularly feel like there is an obvious right decision as regardless, we're getting a spike in our offensive production.

I can't say I'm particularly enamoured with our midfield selections, and in particular, it feels like retaining Crouch was a mistake (as much as it ended up being a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, seeing how little interest he garnered) as it's an uncomfortably experienced group for where we are at. That said Schoenberg becomes a permanent midfielder, Keays, Berry and Sloane are the mid/half forward choices. With Seedsman looking like he'll be out, our outside mids pick themselves.

Forward wise, I don't think there is anything too surprising going on with those selections. Fogarty is the stop gap for Tex, Gollant gets a shot to lock down a third tall role (as he's the most likely in my eyes to cement it out of all of our prospects coming into '22), Thilthorpe gets a taste of CHF before Tex comes back and Rachele gets the first shot at locking down a small forward role in this campaign. Cook and Berry should rotate through.

Probably the harshest call is Milera, but that comes because I'm more interested in seeing Jones/Sholl at this point. He'll get his shot once injuries/form issues mount up.

My smokey for a 2022 debut at some point out of those who weren't selected: Sogilio.

I like the smokey Sogilio.

Worrell is still awhile off in my opinion, not like for like but McPherson gets the nod over Worrell.

Between Hamill and Hinge for halfback position. Think Hamill has it atm.

Milera over Sholl for me atm.
McAdam over Gallant.

Rachele vs Rowe
Could go either way.

B: Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Murray - Jones
C: Dawson - Keays - Milera
FF: McAdam - Fogarty - Rachele
Int: Hamill - Crouch - Berry - Cook

My team is based on my belief that we should ensure all players who faced significant injuries in the last 12 months should play 4 good games (preseason/SANFL) before they are selected. This rules out Hamill, Hinge, Milera, Crouch, Hately, Pedlar, Murphy plus Tex.

Brown Butts Doedee

Smith Murray Jones

Seedsman Laird Dawson

McHenry Thilthorpe Schoenberg

Rachele Fogarty McAdam

O’Brien
Keays
Sloane

McPherson, Sholl, Cook, Berry

Emergencies; Worrell, Frampton, Gollant, Rowe, Strachan, Himmelberg, Davis

Not yet; Borlase, Parnell, Nankervis, Soligo, Taylor, McAsey and Newchurch

My team is based on my belief that we should ensure all players who faced significant injuries in the last 12 months should play 4 good games (preseason/SANFL) before they are selected. This rules out Hamill, Hinge, Milera, Crouch, Hately, Pedlar, Murphy plus Tex.

Brown Butts Doedee

Smith Murray Jones

Seedsman Laird Dawson

McHenry Thilthorpe Schoenberg

Rachele Fogarty McAdam

O’Brien
Keays
Sloane

McPherson, Sholl, Cook, Berry

Emergencies; Worrell, Frampton, Gollant, Rowe, Strachan, Himmelberg, Davis

Not yet; Borlase, Parnell, Nankervis, Soligo, Taylor, McAsey and Newchurch
Then how does Luke Brown get to play after his significant achilles injury?

Darcy plays 1st ruck and Lobb is terrible. Non issue IMO
Hope you don't mind me chiming in here.

You'll find many on our board share your opinion of Lobb, but at the least he needs minding.

Our third tall is Treacy at 195cm. Has been missing training a bit though. Fyfe during his rehab has also been training forward, focussed on marking and goal kicking. So there is definitely some capacity to stretch defences.

I think a key for our forward line is we have grabbed Jamie Grayham from WC, and he has a great pedigree. Another for WCE LeCras is doing forward skills coaching.

We have been mucky forward for a long time, but at least we are addressing it.

Really looking forward to seeing Rachelle and your forward line develop. Bring on that first round.

Then how does Luke Brown get to play after his significant achilles injury?
He has had a pretty good pre-season so far and from what I have observed, he has competed in virtually all of the competitive drills. Hinge, Crouch, Milera, Hately, Murphy and Pedlar have spent a lot of time with the rehab group.

Hamill is a tricky one. After all his concussions I would like to see him build confidence in the SANFL before throwing him in the Ones.

Seedsman might also join this group.

My point is there is no reason to rush players back after managing them through the Mickey Mouse matches. We are not winning the flag this year so we have the luxury of taking a long term approach. The bonus is that we get extra games into some of our Kids.

Back