AFLW Western Bulldogs vs Richmond Sunday 6 February, 1.10pm Whitten Oval

Your points are valid and I don't know the Richmond list well enough to comment.
Blackburn is atypical of players that have come from other sports, but so is Brennan.

What your point indicates is that Richmond have not recruited enough with a footy background. They have picked up plenty from other clubs and Conti is an absolute star.
No, we have recruited with a footy background. I'm sure all Clubs have. What I'm suggesting is that it may not be with as much of a footy background, and this is borne out by decision making, especially when tiring.

You do have to love the attitude - nice Bec Miller!

Last edited:
You do have the love the attitude - nice Bec Miller!

Bec's a ripper.

Really pleased that she is starting to get some credit.

Finished 5th in last years B & F and is probably even better this year.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
People losing their marbles. Not sure what people were expecting but I had our team missing finals. With a healthy list I thought we'd be mid table behind the teams who started in 2017. If luck fell our way we might have even taken that last finals spot but a lot had to go right. Sometimes footy is great and sometimes it sucks. Right now it sucks! (but I'm still looking forward to the next game...which could be ugly!!!)

Since then we've been mashed by injury and the reality is that no expansion team has the list development to have the depth to cover key players. Not having McKenzie, Cordner and Wakefield has been a disaster for our structure.

Whatever you think of McLelland she will be a loss. She might make a few errors but she is big, strong and aggressive, yes sometimes overly so, but you could throw her back, forward or in the ruck and she filled important gaps. Dempsey was also a player who was in good form and got her hands on the ball. Losing Hannah on the weekend was terrible. Especially when you consider that this will impact her job outside of footy.

We are sitting 9th with Geelong, Doggies, Carlton, West Coast and St Kilda below us. Truth is that every team above us is better than us after having more time to develop their list. They have also been able to put time into their players in a pre covid world.

For those having a go at Ferg, well, he was the AFLW coach of the year against the Saints and now he can't coach. With very very few exceptions, players make coaches and if you don't have the cattle in the paddock in AFLW on gameday it doesn't matter who is coaching. My opinion of course.

With players either gone for the season or underdone the rest of the season is going to be challenging but it’s an opportunity for some of our players outside our best 21 and who have been around for a bit to show they belong. All we can do is keep backing our team.

too right TM2, no marbles lost from me 😂

your explanation is spot on where we're at, someone mentioned on the broadcast, the foundation teams can cover loss of players more so than the new teams, that is fact

the win/loss this year, for mine, has gone as i expected, probably the GC loss being a disappointment, but they out played us, which is fair enough

our improvement is clear if you look at our scores this season, which is way up, granted we kicked a low score against the Dogs, who are a def flooding team, but 1st 4 rounds we where avg 40 points/game

i've watched most games this year & Crows, Freo, Lions, Norf, Dees & Pies are still way out in front, they just play a winning brand of footy which wins you games more than not

the players that they've got are battle hardened & there's very few weak links, they string together possies, take their shots on goal, defence's are tough & stingy, midfield's bat deep & fwd line's have multiple options to goal

we've still got a way to go

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
What about Shevlin, Dargan, Federicks and the countless others that have been delisted already?

We've had x5 top 10 draft picks so far. We traded one for Conti (tick), drafted McKenzie (tick), traded for S Hosking (cross), Molan (massive cross) and Reid (looking shaky already).

We missed the pre-listing of Grace Egan and wasted our free hits in year 1 on the likes of Brancatisano, Monahan and Bernardi. All have been fails.

Edwards was a numpty when she played for us and yet handed Kelly her arse today. Shows our coaching and development is not up to scratch also

i guess you don't follow our AFL side much then
C.Ellis, Lennon & Conca say hello 🤣

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Our midfield is miles behind the better teams as a unit. It’s the primary reason why we can’t go near most of the foundation sides + North Melbourne.

With the new expansion sides coming, I fear that it will take us a long time until we see a Richmond AFLW side with a decent midfield.

Honestly, I blame Kate Sheahan. The decisions she made early on has screwed us up for years in my opinion.

Having said that, our ends at full-strength aren’t too bad.

Our midfield is miles behind the better teams as a unit. It’s the primary reason why we can’t go near most of the foundation sides + North Melbourne.
fair assessment, but which out of the recent expansion sides have?
none

With the new expansion sides coming, I fear that it will take us a long time until we see a Richmond AFLW side with a decent midfield.
i don't think so, we wont lose anyone of note/no one, the new sides have one crack at it and it's back to normal
the juniors are improving out of sight, unfortunately for us, they weren't as good when we came in, as they are now
We traded for Conti & drafted McKenzie, both worthy No 1 picks 100% of the time

Honestly, I blame Kate Sheahan. The decisions she made early on has screwed us up for years in my opinion.
okay fair enough, but with all the bad, who got Brennan, Conti, D'Arcy, Cordner & Hosking x 2?
hard to start up a great team when the AFLW is part time & there is a limited salary cap
yeah it'd be great if we could get Blackburn, Marinoff, Bowers, Kearney etc, but we don't live in a world of rainbows & unicorns

Last edited:
i guess you don't follow our AFL side much then
C.Ellis, Lennon & Conca say hello 🤣
Go back a bit further and Meyer, Pattison and Polo also say gidday!

But gee he eats pizza well! Banik (who went OK initially) and the daddy of them all - JON (that's all that has to be said - just JON!)!

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

And these gems

1986 pick 4 Richard Anderson 0 games
1990 traded pick 4 for Terry Keays 25 games
1991 traded pick 3 for Steve O'Dwyer 5 games
1992 pick 7 Wayne Hernaman 20 games
1998 traded pick 8 for Craig Biddiscombe 44 games
2004 pick 4 Richard Tambling
2005 pick 8 Jarred Oakkley-Nichols 13 games
2008 pick 8 Ty Vickery
2015 Chris Yarran 0 games

Wow this is a list of names that give me nightmares 😂 😂 😂 😂 🤣 🤣 🤣
And you complain about Molan, * me Lord of the chicken Wings 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
as long it doesn't take us 20 years, like our men's team :praying:
seriously, this year is the 1st year we actually have a full time Recruiting Manager Trent Moseby for our AFLW team
the journey toward success Is so much different and more challenging than men’s afl. With depth of talent still wafer thin and fairly standard contracts there aren’t the mechanisms to take giant leaps forward overnight . Now two more teams are incoming that wafer thin available talent will be further stretched presenting even further Challenges to add crucial depth . We’re gonna need to be pretty creative in order to improve in next 12m

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
as long it doesn't take us 20 years, like our men's team :praying:

the journey toward success Is so much different and more challenging than men’s afl. With depth of talent still wafer thin and fairly standard contracts there aren’t the mechanisms to take giant leaps forward overnight . Now two more teams are incoming that wafer thin available talent will be further stretched presenting even further Challenges to add crucial depth . We’re gonna need to be pretty creative in order to improve in next 12m

the journey toward success Is so much different and more challenging than men’s afl. With depth of talent still wafer thin
i agree, when we came in (2019) there was only one star junior, Patrikios,
Bulldogs & Blues decided to pick Newman & McEvoy for what ever their reasons were

2020 there was one star in McKenzie

2021 there were 2 stars in Rowbottom & Prespakis

but now in 2022 there are 6 star juniors ATM, Fleming, Ham, Clarke, Baskaran, Hurley & Scott, with probably another 4 by the end of the U/19 season
i'm talking about Patrikios, McKenzie, Rowbottom & Prespakis level, that good
that's how far the U/19's are progressing, next years crop is going to be even bigger & better

so the challenges to add depth might not be as big as it seems for us, in trades & drafting, we seem to every year get 2-3 solid trades & the rest are draftees
it will be more so for Hawks & Dons, who will struggle for a while 4-5 years i'd say

we're at least half way into our list build, that's roughly 15 players give or take

Last edited:
And these gems

2008 pick 8 Ty Vickery

And you complain about Molan, fu** me Lord of the chicken Wings 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Careful Ty Vickery was instrumental in us winning our 2017 premiership.

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
And these gems

2008 pick 8 Ty Vickery

And you complain about Molan, fu** me Lord of the chicken Wings 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
U missed Panic Banik with pick 1

Also I recall the Biddiscombe trade was linked to getting Rory Hilton so not the full value

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
U missed Panic Banik with pick 1

Also I recall the Biddiscombe trade was linked to getting Rory Hilton so not the full value
No clubs have a 100% draft strike rate deluded if you think otherwise , look at Melbournes blunders before they come good , hawthorns in recent years , WC squandering 5 r1 for Tim kelly lol . Step in and correct me if I’ve missed something , you’ll find I’m bang on

I must have missed that - what instrument did he play?

Haha.

Seriously though. Go back to that Melb v Rich game in 2009. It was Ty's brilliant work with 36 seconds to go in the back pocket that started a chain that led to Jordan McMahon's goal which led to Melb picking Trengove and Scully and here we are in 2022 with Dusty in yellow and black and an additional 3 flags.

Vickery should have received a premiership medal.

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
Haha.

Seriously though. Go back to that Melb v Rich game in 2009. It was Ty's brilliant work with 36 seconds to go in the back pocket that started a chain that led to Jordan McMahon's goal which led to Melb picking Trengove and Scully and here we are in 2022 with Dusty in yellow and black and an additional 3 flags.

Not sure if folks realize but that whole sliding doors moment actually has no merit. We lose that game to Melbourne and the drafting result would have been the same. Melbourne would have drafted Scully at 1. Francis Jackson is on record saying we were always taking Martin so would have got him at 2 and then Trengove would have been elsewhere.

Last edited:
Haha.

Sounds more like a Catalyst then rather than an instrumentalist then.

In the end he was lucky to get a handshake. He finished a sullen footballer. My nephew trained with him at Sandy and they often kicked to each other at Richmond training sessions as boys. Good times he said.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
fair assessment, but which out of the recent expansion sides have?
none

i don't think so, we wont lose anyone of note/no one, the new sides have one crack at it and it's back to normal
the juniors are improving out of sight, unfortunately for us, they weren't as good when we came in, as they are now
We traded for Conti & drafted McKenzie, both worthy No 1 picks 100% of the time

okay fair enough, but with all the bad, who got Brennan, Conti, D'Arcy, Cordner & Hosking x 2?
hard to start up a great team when the AFLW is part time & there is a limited salary cap
yeah it'd be great if we could get Blackburn, Marinoff, Bowers, Kearney etc, but we don't live in a world of rainbows & unicorns
But North Melbourne did it!

I want:

• Blackburn
  • Bowers
  • Kearney
  • Ashmore
  • Harris

On top of Conti and Brennan. Is that too much to ask? :(

Sounds more like a Catalyst then rather than an instrumentalist then.

In the end he was lucky to get a handshake. He finished a sullen footballer. My nephew trained with him at Sandy and they often kicked to each other at Richmond training sessions as boys. Good times he said.

I guess when you go into business with the wrong person and find out later that you had in fact paid for your own wedding present and you owned and paid maintenance on three racehorses you never knew you had, you can be excused for being a little sullen.

Back