Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps, helped along by the standard of journalism/MSM articles and presentations that is approaching parody levels!

In today's so-called 'headlines' Neighbours is being axed in the UK..! I mean, how the hell is this in anyway 'news'? Last week we had "Girl pulls faces standing with PM", again FFS, how is this even newsworthy..?

Sadly, what used to be the occasional nonsense daily headline about something trivial, i.e. "Lost dog found in kennel", has now evolved into nearly the majority of headlines - moreover, some of these 'headlines' are also simply derived from some Neville Nobody or Nancy Neverwas on Twitter..?
100%. Its now all about what is trending on Facebook and twitter and what is outraging a couple of people. And of course, what the Kardasians are up to. (see Perth now)

Sounds as if she was remarkably lucky he didn’t seem to have any evil intent. Once he had her it was just like having a new doll to play with. Perhaps it was just a day-by-day thing and he wasn’t able/capable of making a coherent plan.
If by evil, you mean he didnt kill her, you are correct. I really hate this take on things. The public knows nothing about what happened in that house. Even her parents are too scared to ask Cleo, or at least thats what they made out in that interview.

Lets just see what comes out in court.

Just a small point of clarification, which most of the media are choosing to misrepresent - is the fact that the 'alleged $2million' media deal with the Smith's is actually for a number of media's appearances/involvement, not just one 60 minute interview..!

As reported previously on many occasions: "The deal is also understood to include miniseries or a documentary as well as stories across Channel 9’s website and papers." In another reports it also suggests a possible future mini-series or movie, of which Ch.9 will own the initial publishing rights for.

In fact, if you have an eagle eye hidden way down the bottom of this DM article is a reference alluding to further media appearances by the Smiths.
"As the segment ended, Brown told viewers: 'Of course there will be more of this story to tell, and when it's appropriate, we will certainly do that.'"

Last edited:

If by evil, you mean he didnt kill her, you are correct. I really hate this take on things. The public knows nothing about what happened in that house. Even her parents are too scared to ask Cleo, or at least thats what they made out in that interview.

No we don't know but I'd rather believe that he treated her like one of his dolls than harm her in any other way. I think the parents would've been advised not to bring up the subject with Cleo unless they detected some anxiety in her, or they might unwittingly transfer their own fears onto her. It certainly would be hard for them, not knowing what exactly happened, hopefully the psychs will get more information in time, from both Cleo and TK.

Yes you are right, he definitely harmed her, and we are assuming the parents don't know anything of what happened, but they don't have to tell anyone what they know, whatever Cleo has told them is between her and them, and I hope it stays that way.

You won't hear all the detail from the court case either, if there was anything of a sexual nature it will be supressed to protect the victim, which it should be. I assume that is the case in WA, it is elsewhere.

Yes you are right, he definitely harmed her, and we are assuming the parents don't know anything of what happened, but they don't have to tell anyone what they know, whatever Cleo has told them is between her and them, and I hope it stays that way.

You won't hear all the detail from the court case either, if there was anything of a sexual nature it will be supressed to protect the victim, which it should be. I assume that is the case in WA, it is elsewhere.
Oh I agree. This is not about the families silence. Its about countless people saying, "well at least he treated her well, or he looked after her and didnt harm her." And I'm not picking on the previous poster. Its rife on social media this narrative.

And your second paragraph, I have no idea what they will bring up in court, whether its the truth, or a suppressed version of it, or complete silence on the details. As some have mentioned, the prosecution may settle for a long jail term for child stealing and perhaps a few others thrown in like detaining someone against their will but that is not what normally happens. But being such a high profile case involving a child, anything is possible. There have been several reports that what happened during the 18 days will come out in court. I will be disappointed if he gets away with any serious crimes during the 18 days. But they can still charge him with crimes and not give specifics.

i
Oh I agree. This is not about the families silence. Its about countless people saying, "well at least he treated her well, or he looked after her and didnt harm her." And I'm not picking on the previous poster. Its rife on social media this narrative.

And your second paragraph, I have no idea what they will bring up in court, whether its the truth, or a suppressed version of it, or complete silence on the details. As some have mentioned, the prosecution may settle for a long jail term for child stealing and perhaps a few others thrown in like detaining someone against their will but that is not what normally happens. But being such a high profile case involving a child, anything is possible. There have been several reports that what happened during the 18 days will come out in court. I will be disappointed if he gets away with any serious crimes during the 18 days. But they can still charge him with crimes and not give specifics.
I could be wrong here, but if he pleads guilty, will this limit how much does come out in court? I would assume the judge would still need a significant amount of detail to support any sentencing decisions?

i

I could be wrong here, but if he pleads guilty, will this limit how much does come out in court? I would assume the judge would still need a significant amount of detail to support any sentencing decisions?
I'm guessing it might be the same as any other child sexual abuse cases. No details are available and court is closed.

Just a small point of clarification, which most of the media are choosing to misrepresent - is the fact that the 'alleged $2million' media deal with the Smith's is actually for a number of media's appearances/involvement, not just one 60 minute interview..!

As reported previously on many occasions: "The deal is also understood to include miniseries or a documentary as well as stories across Channel 9’s website and papers." In another reports it also suggests a possible future mini-series or movie, of which Ch.9 will own the initial publishing rights for.

In fact, if you have an eagle eye hidden way down the bottom of this DM article is a reference alluding to further media appearances by the Smiths.
"As the segment ended, Brown told viewers: 'Of course there will be more of this story to tell, and when it's appropriate, we will certainly do that.'"

And don't forget their 'agent', Mr Markson, takes $400,000 of that.

Even assuming there was no abuse or neglect (an assumption I fear is naive), TK absolutely harmed her and her family.

He took a four year old from her bed in the middle of the night and held her captive for 18 days.

I do not believe for one second that Cleo happily accepted this, and didn't feel any sadness or fear or cry for her mum or ask when she could go home.

There's this delusion on social media that she was happy because she got to play with lots of dolls.

This guy was a stranger to her. Kids can stay with people they know and love and still want their mum.

Kids can have a great time on school camp but are usually ready to come home to their normal lives and family after a few nights.

She couldn't speak to her parents, go to kinder, play outside. All in a completely unfamiliar environment.

Not to mention the psychological harm he caused her parents.

Hard to think of anything much more torturous than having your child kidnapped, with no clue where she is and what she might be enduring. That would be absolute hell.

I'm 40 years older than Cleo, but if someone took me in the middle of the night and held me in a dark locked room for 18 days, I'd be terrified.

Even assuming there was no abuse or neglect (an assumption I fear is naive), TK absolutely harmed her and her family.

He took a four year old from her bed in the middle of the night and held her captive for 18 days.

I do not believe for one second that Cleo happily accepted this, and didn't feel any sadness or fear or cry for her mum or ask when she could go home.

There's this delusion on social media that she was happy because she got to play with lots of dolls.

This guy was a stranger to her. Kids can stay with people they know and love and still want their mum.

Kids can have a great time on school camp but are usually ready to come home to their normal lives and family after a few nights.

She couldn't speak to her parents, go to kinder, play outside. All in a completely unfamiliar environment.

Hard to think of anything much more torturous than having your child kidnapped, with no clue where she is and what she might be enduring. That would be absolute hell.

I'm 40 years older than Cleo, but if someone took me in the middle of the night and held me in a dark locked room for 18 days, I'd be terrified.
The guy also changed her nappies. No way that is anything other than indecent.

Not to mention he told Cleo her sister was sick and the parents needed to focus on the baby and not her. So the entire 18 days, Cleo thought her parents had given her away.

And don't forget their 'agent', Mr Markson, takes $400,000 of that.
Markson will receive 20% of the alleged total fee, correct. But according to the sister-in-law (former 30 year career in TV production, first 10y with Ch.9 and a lawyer) it's unlikely Markson and the Smith's will receive any substantial payments until the completion of the contractual media assignments of which Sunday's 60 minute interview was the first...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Markson will receive 20% of the alleged total fee, correct. But according to the sister-in-law (former 30 year career in TV production, first 10y with Ch.9 and a lawyer) it's unlikely Markson and the Smith's will receive any substantial payments until the completion of the contractual media assignments of which Sunday's 60 minute interview was the first...
He's not much of an agent if he has 'negotiated' no (or no significant) payment until Channel 9 considers all services have been provided. It's more likely x% upfront, y%, z%, etc at various milestones, with the remainder payable upon completion of the contract.

The guy also changed her nappies. No way that is anything other than indecent.
A four year old doesn’t wear nappies. They can almost dress themselves at that age. He might have bought them but my four year old niece would reject them totally.

A four year old doesn’t have the knowledge or the imagination to feed the fears you would have at 40.

Cleo might have been missing her mother terribly and feeling totally bewildered but unless he was really horrible to her, shouted, manhandled her, or worse, she wouldn’t have been in fear. After eighteen days, that fear if it existed should have been very obvious to the rescuers, to the parents and hospital staff. Every photo has shown her calm and smiling.

I know it sounds like I’m defending TK but I suspect he’s not your usual kind of offender.

A four year old doesn’t wear nappies. They can almost dress themselves at that age. He might have bought them but my four year old niece would reject them totally.

Of course four year old's don't wear nappies, there's no way I could have got one anywhere near mine at four years old as a monstrous indignity but she was locked in that room for hours and hours, whole days sometimes and he also went out at night. That's what the nappies were for, she didn't have a choice imo because she couldn't access the bathroom and the toilet.

Of course four year old's don't wear nappies, there's no way I could have got one anywhere near mine at four years old as a monstrous indignity but she was locked in that room for hours and hours, whole days sometimes and he also went out at night. That's what the nappies were for, she didn't have a choice imo because she couldn't access the bathroom and the toilet.
******************** 🙂. Or maybe wasn’t left alone for long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though she was locked in the room when TK went out on the night she was rescued, we do not know if she was locked in there at all times. I've also seen on here where people have said she was locked in a dark room. When she was found early hours of the morning, she was locked in the room, but the light was on and she was playing with cars, according to her mother. Apparently she was toilet trained, but there would have been no way TK would have known that early on in her captivity.

Even though she was locked in the room when TK went out on the night she was rescued, we do not know if she was locked in there at all times. I've also seen on here where people have said she was locked in a dark room. When she was found early hours of the morning, she was locked in the room, but the light was on and she was playing with cars, according to her mother. Apparently she was toilet trained, but there would have been no way TK would have known that early on in her captivity.
Maybe she had an 'accident' whilst with him and he though she needed them?

I'm often bemused/confused by those who like to portray the extremes in online discussions, objectives are numerous and often unclear, to me anyway.
If you strip away the emotional narratives and related speculation, what we know or are at least can be reasonably certain of is:

A. With the exception of ransom motives, any child adducted/kidnapped and missing for a period of more than a week, the probability of them being discovered/rescued 'relatively unharmed' is extremely rare..!

B. Relatively unharmed, firstly as the hospital did not find any evidence that CS had been physically abused or even restrained in any manner during her captivity. Relatively unharmed, secondly, while not ignoring CS's current signs of trauma, 'at this stage' psychologically CS appears to have little comprehension of her experience, however this will not always be the case.

C. While TK's criminal commission was abhorrent, inconceivable, unforgivable - fortunately for CS his actions/intentions (at least for 18 days) were apparently not to harm her. While we do not know for certain what took place during her captivity and will probably never know - the authorities, related experts, her parents and even the media have not even suggested there was any form of abuse that occurred.

D. Whether people like it or not, TK's defense will likely argue that CS was placed in a misconstrued environment of care, not danger..!

Last edited:
I'm often bemused/confused by those who like to portray the extremes in online discussions, objectives are numerous and often unclear, to me anyway.
If you strip away the emotional narratives and related speculation, what we know or are at least can be reasonably certain of is

Nobody's gone to extremes here, or presented as emotional. Kidnapping is a violent crime that begins with an assault and forced removal.

Cleo was in danger the entire time she was there, the risk doesn't really get much higher.

Nobody's gone to extremes here, or presented as emotional. Kidnapping is a violent crime that begins with an assault and forced removal.

Cleo was in danger the entire time she was there, the risk doesn't really get much higher.
Concur Kurve - to clarify, my opening statement was referencing mainly those on other social media platforms who are posting some bizarre unfounded opposing views - of which some posts in this thread refer to...

E.G. some f**ing moron on FB posted a while ago that perhaps CS was 'happy' to be in house, with plenty of dolls to play with, her favourite foods to eat, bed time whenever she wanted etc. FFS..!!!

Last edited:
Concur Kurve - to clarify, my opening statement was referencing mainly those on other social media platforms who are posting some bizarre unfounded opposing views - of which some posts in this thread refer to...

Okay, I haven't had much of a look around on other social media sites and while I often do if a case is high profile or there's some sort of divisive controversy think I might give it a pass if I can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back