Competitions Health and fitness

Nice one mate. Congratulations on not just your physical progress, but your mental/emotional one. Body anxiety/dysmorphia is awful and affects a lot of people.

It's a big step and I hope you take the time to acknowledge it and feel proud of yourself for not just the physical changes but the mental health ones too.

Nice work on the beard/afro combo too. It's coming along nicely.

Edit: Also, everyone that posts in this thread is a continual source of inspiration for me. You should all definitely keep posting here and be proud of yourself too for all your progress, no matter how seemingly insignificant. Even taking the time and effort to get active is a huge accomplishment.
Thanks mate, it’s so hard when the beauty standard is stick thin girls. This is why I love the body movement I forgot what it’s called, like once you start to love your body that’s when you see all the changes start to happen and then you realise “why didn’t I do this sooner”

Mate my Afro is so plump rn chefs kiss hehehe you gotta get on the beard oil

Thanks mate, it’s so hard when the beauty standard is stick thin girls. This is why I love the body movement I forgot what it’s called, like once you start to love your body that’s when you see all the changes start to happen and then you realise “why didn’t I do this sooner”

Mate my Afro is so plump rn chefs kiss hehehe you gotta get on the beard oil

Ligma, you should take a look at Crossfit for am option. The "beauty standard" is far from what seems to be normalised for the current circles your are possibly exposed to.

Some "Boxes" (the term they use for gym) can be a bit culty/w#nky so definitely look for one that meets your vibe, but here's a couple of videos for inspiration when you find a good one like our family is luck to have close by.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ligma, you should take a look at Crossfit for am option. The "beauty standard" is far from what seems to be normalised for the current circles your are possibly exposed to.

Some "Boxes" (the term they use for gym) can be a bit culty/w#nky so definitely look for one that meets your vibe, but here's a couple of videos for inspiration when you find a good one like our family is luck to have close by.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m currently starting a powerlifting program though :(

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m currently starting a powerlifting program though :(
That's great at well. All the stuff you learn there can cross over, lots of people do both.

Most importantly, the lifting community are an inclusive, supportive group as well I'm told.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's great at well. All the stuff you learn there can cross over, lots of people do both.

Most importantly, the lifting community are an inclusive, supportive group as well I'm told.

I normally don't encourage people who are just starting out with powerlifting to cross train with crossfitters - the latter teaches some really bad habits which if they cross over to your big 1RM lift could lead to significant injury.

Well you're in the right place then.

As you'd know this place is like a Mecca for elite powerlifters.
Would expect nothing less KC. My name isn’t anabolic Ligma for nothing

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I normally don't encourage people who are just starting out with powerlifting to cross train with crossfitters - the latter teaches some really bad habits which if they cross over to your big 1RM lift could lead to significant injury.

Ah bullshit. Deadlifts are best learnt under fatigue as part of a giant **** yourself circuit where newbies compete with genetic freaks with 15 years training experience on them.

Harden up ffs.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Such a great read. We need more of these uplifting stories in the mainstream media, and not most of the dross they serve up.

The surf was cracking in my neck of the woods this morning. Great opportunity to try out the new 7”6 board my partner got me. Turns out boards this big aren’t very easy to duckdive. Gotta practice my rolls to save myself from embarrassment next time.
Have you ever been to urban surf?

Nah. You? (I actually live in the Illawarra, so even the Sydney one is a bit far away for my liking.)
Ohhh really?

Nah I haven’t but I live near the the Tullamarine one but I’ve heard so many things about it, I wanna go

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ohhh really?

Nah I haven’t but I live near the the Tullamarine one but I’ve heard so many things about it, I wanna go
Yeah at the start of the pandemic I decided it was a good opportunity to actually get decent at surfing. Being a socially distanced sport and all. Unfortunately it took me 18 months to actually start. But now Im getting into the swing of it, Ive discovered it really is an unbelievable way to start the day. I am beginning to see how people structure their lives around it.

Mates of mine, proper surfers, actually talk highly of it.
Injuries have occurred, however 😂
That’s why I’m scared of surfing because of injuries and Bondi rescue

Yeah at the start of the pandemic I decided it was a good opportunity to actually get decent at surfing. Being a socially distanced sport and all. Unfortunately it took me 18 months to actually start. But now Im getting into the swing of it, it’s really an unbelievable way to start the day. I am beginning to see how people structure their lives around it.
Did you get lessons? Or did you yolo it lol

0377E462-9A66-4900-AE5B-082F3D1DA6E8.jpeg
Had the day off, so watched the intra club then headed off to run the Capital City Trail, great day for it and feels like my fitness is slowly returning which is nice.

Back