Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I just think if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. Not trying to take anything away from the individual performance of course. But it flatters us to say we would have won if it wasn't for those moments of brilliance.
We will never know, but I can so clearly recall the difference in the coaches at half time, just after Dusty's first goal, just when we appeared to have the ascendancy. CS was bemoaning that we did not take our chances, and Hardwick was buoyant because Dusty got them revved up with that pearler, yet we were in front.

It might be an extreme take, but when Gawn is at the top of the goal square and Stanley is standing beside him, Stanley should compete in the air when the ball comes in rather than drop back and let Gawn take an uncontested mark.
probably not that extreme is it...

It might be an extreme take, but when Gawn is at the top of the goal square and Stanley is standing beside him, Stanley should compete in the air when the ball comes in rather than drop back and let Gawn take an uncontested mark.

Of course not. But if we're going to isolate every mistake name players have made - just in finals - we're going to be here a while.

We will never know, but I can so clearly recall the difference in the coaches at half time, just after Dusty's first goal, just when we appeared to have the ascendancy. CS was bemoaning that we did not take our chances, and Hardwick was buoyant because Dusty got them revved up with that pearler, yet we were in front.
That's a useful insight. You can look at it as not taking chances I guess. My own feeling was that we had gone away from a style of play that had been very successful during the season, reverting to a style that was a lot more 2016 than 2020. Looks like you're creating a lot of chances through sheer weight of forward entries, but in fact the entries are not well planned or orchestrated and the effort required to maintain it catches up with you at the end. Tigers certainly would have been looking for some sort of spark because they were well down in that first half.

B: Bews Blicavs Stewart
HB: Henry SDK Tuohy
C: Smith C.Guthrie Duncan
HF: Holmes Cameron Evans
F: Stengle Hawkins Miers
Fol: Stanley Selwood Dangerfield
I/C: Stephens Menegola Ceglar O’Connor
Sub: Rohan

Everyone, well not everyone going on about Stanley.... people forget about Rohan... I can't forgive Rohan every finals he goes missing, I can see why Swans were happy to see him gone.
I'm not a Kane Cornes fan but his spot on about him
He can look a top-10 player in the game.

Then the next week you’ve got people saying he should never play in a final again.

That is the difference between where his performance sits.
Exactly what CS said about him- at his best, near the best player in it, but at his worst- dismal. Problem is there are way too many worst performances. That is purely a Rohan issue. He has had 2 of the best coaches in the comp, and nobody can change this leopard's spots

Am I missing the memo about Tom Atkins? Injured? Or do people not expect him to play round 1?

I feel like I haven’t seen him often in these 22s.

I thought he would’ve had a guaranteed spot.

Last edited:
Exactly what CS said about him- at his best, near the best player in it, but at his worst- dismal. Problem is there are way too many worst performances. That is purely a Rohan issue. He has had 2 of the best coaches in the comp, and nobody can change this leopard's spots

I believe Rohan is too reliant on others on the field. He probably needs to be around the ball more. Its why several mids dislike playing forward, they find they are no longer masters of their own destiny. Has Rohan failed to play well when the side plays well? At least with a legit forward like Hawk, he has a better chance in a contested situation, but even he has failed in some big games to contribute on the scoreboard.

Honestly.... where does people think will Geelong will finish? Me between 6-8
Me much the same.
Probably play finals and possibly win one, only to get rubbed out the following week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sen's analysis of the 2022 list. Had to scratch my head at the idea that our defence will only improve from last year.
To be fair, when see how little Hendo had left in the tank at the end you could argue SDK is an improvement that will see a better 2022 defensive unit.

It's plausible at least

HF: Holmes Cameron Evans
F: Stengle Hawkins Miers
I/C: Stephens Menegola Ceglar O’Connor
Sub: Rohan
I've gone with Parfitt Narkle and Close over Evans Stephens and Rohan RD1

Last edited:
I've gone with Parfitt Narkle and Close over Evans Stephens and Rohan RD1
HF: Parfitt Cameron Menegola
F: Stengle Hawkins Close
I/C: Narkle Simpson Ceglar O’Connor
Sub: Holmes

By all reports Miers won't be fit round 1. Dangerfield goes forward which takes Rohan spot then put Narkle on ball when Dangerfield goes forward..

Hope also we give games to our youth, rather give games to Evans, Neale, Stevens Knevitt etc than Dahlhaus Higgins etc, as we need to have 1 hand on the future....

Last edited:
HF: Parfitt Cameron Menegola
F: Stengle Hawkins Close
I/C: Narkle Simpson Ceglar O’Connor
Sub: Holmes

By all reports Miers won't be fit round 1. Dangerfield goes forward which takes Rohan spot then put Narkle on ball when Dangerfield goes forward..

Hope also we give games to our youth, rather give games to Evans, Neale, Stevens Knevitt etc than Dahlhaus Higgins etc, as we need to have 1 hand on the future....
I think we both know Kolo will play rd1,wishful thinking on our part that he will be left out.

Not for me. Key cog.
Unfairly maligned and chastised

Comfortably.
Spells trouble for the Cats if that's the case but who else has the height SDK untried and that's about it right now,Kolo is a bit of a Jordon Murdoch in my book but yes wouldn't surprise if he plays 22 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back