Not open for further replies.
Tigers had a better record at Metricon than at the G From 2017 - 2020

At the G

Avg points for 89.8
Avg points against 65.9

At Metricon

Avg points for 90.3
Avg points against 45.6

Perhaps the Tigers were just a fecking strong team?? The Cats are the team that gets the big leg up at KP
Crows thumped the Tigers at Adelaide Oval in 2017, but as the lower ranked team they got to play the grand final on their favoured home deck.

Not saying the result would have been different, but fair chance it would have been.

Crows thumped the Tigers at Adelaide Oval in 2017, but as the lower ranked team they got to play the grand final on their favoured home deck.
It is almost embarassing how Adelaide fans keep referring to a game in April as if it has any relevance to performance in September.

Richmond were barley travelling then, they lost 4 on the trot including losing to Freo at the G.

They thumped Freo by 100+ in Perth on the eve of the finals....a 100 point turn around from back in May.
Not saying the result would have been different, but fair chance it would have been.
From all evidence we have the mentally weak Adelaide team would have capitulated anywhere they played.

Meanwhile, Tigers win GFs away from the G...they were the opposite of Adelaide, a mentally strong team lead by a generational talent (Dusty) who saved his best for the big occassion.

It is almost embarassing how Adelaide fans keep referring to a game in April as if it has any relevance to performance in September.

Richmond were barley travelling then, they lost 4 on the trot including losing to Freo at the G.

They thumped Freo by 100+ in Perth on the eve of the finals....a 100 point turn around from back in May.

From all evidence we have the mentally weak Adelaide team would have capitulated anywhere they played.

Meanwhile, Tigers win GFs away from the G...they were the opposite of Adelaide, a mentally strong team lead by a generational talent (Dusty) who saved his best for the big occassion.
So are you seriously trying to say sides don't win more games home than away?

Really?

It's why you are arguing so hard for the MCG to be retained as the Grand Final venue because it's your teams home ground... & you are completely biased in your view.

There's no statistical evidence that non-Vic clubs are disadvantaged.
It's a bit hard to argue against the injustice of it all for non-Vic clubs when there's no evidence that any injustice ever existed in the first place. On the contrary, non-Vic clubs as a whole enjoy a statistical advantage in the H&A season and no statistical disadvantage in the Grand final.

How about we come back to this 'discussion' if and when the very basis of it has some substance?

Really?
Not all "homes" are created equal.

And the GF isnt a normal "home" game.
It's why you are arguing so hard for the MCG to be retained as the Grand Final venue because it's your teams home ground... & you are completely biased in your view.
Collingwood have a better W/L away from the G than at the G in the last decade.

Collingwood are 0-3 in GFs against non vic teams, but we are 4-3 in away finals against non-vic teams at their home.

Even if Pies had gone the Geelong path and had the Vic Govt upgrade Vic Park I would no different in the GF should be at the G...what a ridiculous concept having the GF at a little boutique venue that means < 40k can get along.

Stats say there is no problem, non Melbourne teams win their fair share against MCG tenants.

The real problem with the AFL stadium deals, is the butchered H&A season and non-Melbourne teams being over-respresented in top4/top2 finishes.

No, it was a biased Victorian decision which freezes out most genuine members from witnessing their side play a grand final... but guarantees others with no connection to competing clubs to attend.

Yeah, Gil said he was going to do more for grass root supporters.... we are still waiting!

You think the location has anything to do with tickets going to corporates? Give me a break, moving it to a smaller stadium will only exacerbate the problem.

I'd say that people who smoke are more likely to die from smoking related diseases.
There's indisputable evidence that not all smokers die from smoking related diseases.

Even though the generalisation is that the advantage belongs to the home state team, there's no statistical evidence for any advantage of Victorian clubs over non-Vic clubs in Grand Finals.

Maybe it'll emerge one day. Let's have this discussion then.

You think the location has anything to do with tickets going to corporates? Give me a break, moving it to a smaller stadium will only exacerbate the problem.
Optus only allocated 12k to each competing team in 2021.

Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

The SA and WA wowsers are that frothy that the Vic fans get it easier, that they see less tickets for ALL club members as an improvement!!

Tigers had a better record at Metricon than at the G From 2017 - 2020

At the G

Avg points for 89.8
Avg points against 65.9

At Metricon

Avg points for 90.3
Avg points against 45.6

Perhaps the Tigers were just a fecking strong team?? The Cats are the team that gets the big leg up at KP
Is there any other Victorian team that gets the opportunity to spend hours and hours each week training on their home ground? I know the MCG co-tenants don't. Imagine if the Pies could play their home matches on Gosch's Paddock or the Tigers at Punt Road? Then we'd see a real home advantage for them. The Crows trained at Football Park during it's tenure as a matchday venue.

In addition, during the last non-covid impacted season of 2019, Richmond had 15 games at the G and Geelong had 8 (plus 9 at GMHBA). That's about 14 extra hours on the G for Richmond than the Cats across the entire season. Geelong would get training access to their own home ground for more than 14 hours every single week.

Almost word-for-word what I was about to reply until I saw your post. It's such a naive at best, wilfully ignorant at worst, reading of 2017 when posters bring up that season and claim that the early phase is indicative of the whole season.

There's no statistical evidence that non-Vic clubs are disadvantaged.
It's a bit hard to argue against the injustice of it all for non-Vic clubs when there's no evidence that any injustice ever existed in the first place. On the contrary, non-Vic clubs as a whole enjoy a statistical advantage in the H&A season and no statistical disadvantage in the Grand final.

How about we come back to this 'discussion' if and when the very basis of it has some substance?
If you actually ever bothered to have a look yourself, you’d find that Victorian clubs make up 55% of the comp and have occupied 58% of spots in the top 8 over the course of the decade preceding Covid. So wtf are you on about?

Victorian clubs are the only ones racking up 19-20 win seasons, a stretch too far for non Victorian clubs which makes sense considering they are dealing with twice the disadvantage of a Victorian club. Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, St Kilda, Geelong have all had record breaking h&a seasons since the beginning of the AFL, while non Victorian clubs aren’t anywhere near those. Where’s the advantage???

In regards to the grand final, you have to be a special kind of stupid not to understand the local clubs are advantaged in those games just as they are in every other game they play against a non Victorian side, and doubly so as a Richmond supporter considering how much you struggled away from the mcg in ‘17, ‘18. Never see a team benefit so much from gifted home finals as you lot.

If you actually ever bothered to have a look yourself, you’d find that Victorian clubs make up 55% of the comp and have occupied 58% of spots in the top 8 over the course of the decade preceding Covid. So wtf are you on about?
Given that 25% of those non-Vic clubs were literally in their infancy during that decade, even to the point of including on their playing lists rugby players brought in solely for their northern state marketing value, you might want to re-visit those statistics.

Given that 25% of those non-Vic clubs were literally in their infancy during that decade, even to the point of including on their playing lists rugby players brought in solely for their northern state marketing value, you might want to re-visit those statistics.
Given that Melbourne were actively trying to lose games and Essendon were forced to field a Vfl side through that period as punishment for doping, I don’t think I need to revisit anything.

Just FYI, I’ve look at this before and if you remove the records of GWS and GC, it’s the other non Victorian clubs which drop down the ladder as they hav the most wins against these 2 teams given they are the ones playing them twice each year.

Last edited:
So Victorian corporates & cricket members are more important than fairness

No doubt you are a MCC member who would prefer that his own team played grand finals on his home deck

Not a coincidence it's supporters of clubs whose home ground is the MCG who are arguing the hardest for it to remain that way to selfishly protect their interests even if inequitable.

Says much about you as people...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say that people who smoke are more likely to die from smoking related diseases.
There's indisputable evidence that not all smokers die from smoking related diseases.

Even though the generalisation is that the advantage belongs to the home state team, there's no statistical evidence for any advantage of Victorian clubs over non-Vic clubs in Grand Finals.

Maybe it'll emerge one day. Let's have this discussion then.
MCG tenants have a higher win rate... outside of the Pies but they have the collywobbles.

Home teams win far more games than away teams.

Do deny this is living in fairyland.

I never said this, but nice deflection to combine 2 different issues.

But you do struggle with coherent arguments.

MCG tenants have a better win rate in GFs away from the G than at the G.
No they don't overall.

What a load of BS!

Next you will be trying to claim non-Victorian clubs have a better record at the MCG than on their home ground.

You are truly deluded & happy to lie to try & save face.

Home team has won 57.4% of games... so statistically a 35% better chance to win on your home deck.

Collingwood wins 25% more home than away games.

Last edited:
No they don't overall.

What a load of BS!

Next you will be trying to claim non-Victorian clubs have a better record at the MCG than on their home ground.

You are truly deluded & happy to lie to try & save face.
Learn to read. I said MCG tenants have a better win rate in GFs away from the G than at the G

MCG tenants are 2 from 2 in GFs away from the G.

Makes all your frothing a bit redudant doesnt it.

Learn to read. I said MCG tenants have a better win rate in GFs away from the G than at the G

MCG tenants are 2 from 2 in GFs away from the G.

Makes all your frothing a bit redudant doesnt it.

How are your selected facts even relevant?

Bottom line is a home team has more success on their home ground.

This is the crux of the issue.

How are your selected facts even relevant?
Are you shitting me??

Stats about MCG tenants performance in GFs are what the ******* thread is about!!

And the stats show, they have a better win rate away from the G than at the G!
Bottom line is a home team has more success on their home ground.
MCG tenant Collingwood doesnt.
This is the crux of the issue.
The crux of the issue is that you talk "improvements" but all your ideas mean less club members will get tickets.

That aint an improvement.

MCG tenants have a higher win rate... outside of the Pies but they have the collywobbles.

Home teams win far more games than away teams.

Do deny this is living in fairyland.
You continue to compare generalisations about home ground advantage with Grand Finals played between Victorian and non Victorian teams at the MCG.

Piss poor attempts at "If you don't agree with me you're a f'ing idiot" aren't going to work for you.

I stopped reading there.
I'm working off a bigger sample size
22 completed seasons since introduction of Colonial in 2000 which is when ground rationalisation in Melbourne really started being felt.

Since then, 31 of the 44 top2 placings at the end of H&A have been to non-Melbourne teams....aka teams that retained home ground advantage.

The AFL needs to fix the H&A FIXture, as it is giving non-Melbourne teams a clear leg up in the H&A.

Meanwhile GF results since 2000 shows 50/50. There has been 12 games between an MCG tenant and a non-Melbourne based team, it is 6-6.

4 times a "higher ranked MCG tenant lost to the non-Melbourne team" and 4 times a "higher ranked non-Melbourne team lost to an MCG tenant".

The example that is closest in this case is round 23 2019 Rich vs Bris at the MCG with the next game Bris vs Rich at the Gabba two weeks later with similar teams and form line.

There was a 20 point differential between the winning margin of the two results.

Suggests that you can’t account for teams stepping up in pressure situations in these very basic examples.

This actually isn't about MCG tennant win rates in the Gand Final. Even if it was the use of the last 2 Grand finals in Brisbane and Perth is a red herring because neither Richmond or Melbourne won against a Gabba or Optus Tennant.

The crux of the thread is how the interests of the Victorian Government and MCC and by extention certain Victorian clubs have been put ahead of the probity of competition itself. The corrupt and non commercial backdoor dealings where the AFL is beholden to a State Government who act as some benevolent puppet master who's goal is entiemrely self interest rather than fairness. Its a diabolical and disgraceful way to run a sporting competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back