Player Watch #31: Josh Goater - re-signed until the end of 2025 - ruptured Achilles injury vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the back 6 but not Walker. To me he's back up. I'd play Corr CHB and Bonar in the pocket. Turner is now in the forward line as a defender.

Is that true about Turner? I havent heard or ready anything about that? I know he plays roles so can go anywhere but not heard of a move forward.

FWIW, I think the coach will have Walker in the team. Very few talls, he's fit as a fiddle and the coach loves him.

Yep, my thoughts exactly, we are too slow with Ziebs, Mackay, Corr and Walker down back. One has to give so i have Walker out for Round 1 but there is a stack of pressure on Ziebel to perform as he can't play on the small forwards.

Corr is one of our fastest players and can play tall or small.

The team as a whole, has a lot of youth. Down back in isolation needs more. It’s basically a combination of handy players and players coming towards the end. It’s hard to see who gives way though.

Hall had his best year to date.

Ziebell I thought was a little overrated last year, but had a reasonable year nonetheless and is obviously captain.

Walker’s days really should be numbered, but there is no ready replacement for when we need a third tall.

I like the look of Turner down back and his effort can’t be questioned. Is he a premiership small defender though? I’m not sure. I really hope Bonar can stay on the park and be that small defender.

McDonald should be playing half back. With the list of mids and those also developing, McDonald shouldn’t be taking up a wing spot.

I liked Corr early on, but I think he should be playing Walkers role. We need another pillar alongside McKay.

We need to find a way to give opportunities to players like Goater and Perez. How we do it, I’m not sure. For a rebuilding side, I only really see McKay as a proven talent who will play for another 8+ years. We need more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

all very valid points mate
I think with injuries there will be enough opportunity for the young guys to get experience.But remember Goater is 18 and Perez has had a knee reconstruction.
They will get some games, but need some mature bodies out there with the kids

McDonald will need a good year, I think he's in more danger than Ziebell. I know he had an injury but he was very average last year.

I think with injuries there will be enough opportunity for the young guys to get experience.But remember Goater is 18 and Perez has had a knee reconstruction.

McDonald will need a good year, I think he's in more danger than Ziebell. I know he had an injury but he was very average last year.
We've got him until 2026.
Doubt he plays in the 2s for an extended period of time.
Would have preferred if he did start there though unless he's in top nick.

Lmac is levels above zeebs as a backman - he actually defends and picks up his Man.

Playing third tall, zoning off his opponent should be Jack's role.

Turner takes the best small forward. He's servicable in that role. He's got no business in the forward line. McKay takes the best tall, Corr the second best (he's 195cm and near 100kgs. If he can't take a tall forward the God help us), Jack the third best. McDonald can take the dangerous mid sized forwards and Hall offers the rebound.

Goater can play the 7th defender off the bench until Bonar is fit, or maybe after Bonar is fit if he goes OK.

Does that mean from what you’ve seen so for you’d have both Bonar and Goater ahead of Hayden?

We've got him until 2026.
Doubt he plays in the 2s for an extended period of time.
Would have preferred if he did start there though unless he's in top nick.
sh&t didn't realise we had signed him on such a long contract !

I'm a McDonald fan too. But i was really disappointed in his year last year. Thought he had turned the corner with his form 2 years ago, but he was back to being sloppy and inconsistent last year

sh&t didn't realise we had signed him on such a long contract !

I'm a McDonald fan too. But i was really disappointed in his year last year. Thought he had turned the corner with his form 2 years ago, but he was back to being sloppy and inconsistent last year

He’ll be fine. He’s a good footballer. At his worst he’s a great lockdown defender, at his best he’s that and gives us a lot of drive with his ability to get through congestion and use that left peg.

Is that because Goater has impressed you or Hayden hasn’t shown enough?
Bit of both. Goater looks like he could slot into the 1's right away. Sure handed, uses it well by foot of hb. Doesn't scream 1st year player when you watch him.

Hayden's just going to need to keep grinding on the VFL and grab chances that come to him.

All my opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Bit of both. Goater looks like he could slot into the 1's right away. Sure handed, uses it well by foot of hb. Doesn't scream 1st year player when you watch him.

Hayden's just going to need to keep grinding on the VFL and grab chances that come to him.

All my opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Cheers. I haven’t been able to get down there for a look. Goater being ready to go is a nice surprise, I wasn’t expecting him to be ready.

Cheers. I haven’t been able to get down there for a look. Goater being ready to go is a nice surprise, I wasn’t expecting him to be ready.

Goater is on the same level of talent as Simpkin, Powell and Phillips imo.

He looks better than LMAC at the same age from what I've seen and LMAC came off a pretty consistent VFL season as an 18 year old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that true about Turner? I havent heard or ready anything about that? I know he plays roles so can go anywhere but not heard of a move forward.

FWIW, I think the coach will have Walker in the team. Very few talls, he's fit as a fiddle and the coach loves him.
I think you have to start the year with Walker in there. If asked to play a straight up defensive role he is reliable and allows Corr and subsequently JZ, Hall, Lmac etc to play the creative game around him. If they can find a mix that replaces him over the next 12-18 months that's great, but we're not quite there yet.

I think you have to start the year with Walker in there. If asked to play a straight up defensive role he is reliable and allows Corr and subsequently JZ, Hall, Lmac etc to play the creative game around him. If they can find a mix that replaces him over the next 12-18 months that's great, but we're not quite there yet.

Agree but I think if left alone to create a defensive team with Corr and BMac, I think he'll be better than what we've seen. We have needed him here there and everywhere!

No chance Goater plays round 1.
I wouldn't say no chance.
But he is starting from a long way back due to games missed over the last few years from covid shutdowns.
It helps that he will be playing in defence rather than midfield I reckon.
He has a decent chance I think.

Agree but I think if left alone to create a defensive team with Corr and BMac, I think he'll be better than what we've seen. We have needed him here there and everywhere!

Look I'll be honest, I think he is workmanlike but we haven't had a better option. Ideally we'd find someone as reliable as a defender but a lot less likely to be a liability with the ball. There have been many times over the last couple of years where he has killed our attack but there is also a fair argument that if he is asked to be a simple defender and the others provide that attack then he will do fine.

I wouldn't say no chance.
But he is starting from a long way back due to games missed over the last few years from covid shutdowns.
It helps that he will be playing in defence rather than midfield I reckon.
He has a decent chance I think.
Probably on the cusp but just outside best 22/3 early in the season. LMac going back doesn't help his chances but it is probably Hall's role/position he is trying to get

Probably on the cusp but just outside best 22/3 early in the season. LMac going back doesn't help his chances but it is probably Hall's role/position he is trying to get
As a junior he played intercept defender.
I think he replaces the captain eventually. Similar height more pace.

I think he just makes too much sense for the early sub position.

He can play all across the field, but hypothetically McDonald moves around in case of injury.

Injured backman? Goater replaces them

Injured midfielder? McDonald moves up to midfield and Goater replaces McDonald.

Injured forward? Thomas or JHF stay as a permanent forward for the game, McDonald replaces their midfield minutes and Goater replaces McDonald.

What makes you say that?
There isn't room for him yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a debut before the bye but I don't believe he is ready nor demands a round 1 berth.

Sml-med backs will be: Turner, Atu, Lmac, Zeebs, Hall and Bonar before Goater

As a junior he played intercept defender.
I think he replaces the captain eventually. Similar height more pace.

I actually think he might be the long term Cunnington/Greenwood replacement. People underestimate how big he's going to be.

Imagine Ziebell's body size with Atley's pace. Thats one hell of a dynamic inside mid and he will have a similar body size to JZ in the long run imo.

It really comes down to where we want to develop him.

I think he just makes too much sense for the early sub position.

He can play all across the field, but hypothetically McDonald moves around in case of injury.

Injured backman? Goater replaces them

Injured midfielder? McDonald moves up to midfield and Goater replaces McDonald.

Injured forward? Thomas or JHF stay as a permanent forward for the game, McDonald replaces their midfield minutes and Goater replaces McDonald.
Could be a sub but I expect Laz to be round 1 sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back