Player Watch #31: Josh Goater - re-signed until the end of 2025 - ruptured Achilles injury vs GWS

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There isn't room for him yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a debut before the bye but I don't believe he is ready nor demands a round 1 berth.

Sml-med backs will be: Turner, Atu, Lmac, Zeebs, Hall and Bonar before Goater

Nope, no way.

I don't see how you can say Bonar and Atu are just automatic incumbents because they are 10 and 22 game veterans respectively.

I'd have him ahead of both of them from what I've seen in pre-season.

Bonar is going to miss at least the first month of the season anyway.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
There isn't room for him yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a debut before the bye but I don't believe he is ready nor demands a round 1 berth.

Perez also in line before him if his body is ready by round 1

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually think he might be the long term Cunnington/Greenwood replacement. People underestimate how big he's going to be.

Imagine Ziebell's body size with Atley's pace. Thats one hell of a dynamic inside mid and he will have a similar body size to JZ in the long run imo.

It really comes down to where we want to develop him.
I was thinking Jordon Ridley clone myself.
But your idea sounds better.

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a junior he played intercept defender.
I think he replaces the captain eventually. Similar height more pace.
Someone on here I think mentioned last year how between Ziebell with his intercept marking, Atley with his ability to shut down a player and Hall with his line breaking run we had the makings of a really good defender, but unfortunately they took up three spots on the field instead of one.

Hopefully Goater can develop into the player that rolls all of those into one.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was thinking Jordon Ridley clone myself.
But your idea sounds better.

Ridley is about 2" taller than him, which is a big difference when you are bodying key forwards side to side.

I think in the immediate term he is Hall/JZ's natural replacement and then after 100 games or so he might transition into a midfield role once Cunners and Greenwood hang up the boots.

Nobody is at his level at the club athletically, he is going to be one of the sides real weapons if we develop him right. Much like I described Byron Pickett was in that 90's side in another thread.

Just a freakish talent that wasn't necessarily the lynch pin to the side, but we deployed him around the ground to devastating effect.

His ceiling is probably on JHF and TT's level in all honesty because of his athletic gifts.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

doubt atu and bonar are ahead of him tbh.
I know people here are on the Bonar train but he can't shake his constant injuries and thats a big red flag.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

But it's not.

We are 30 days away from Rnd 1 and he's not played a minute of match sim, nor any match practice in around 12 months.

Bonar and Perez wont be in the frame for the first month of the season IMO. They will want to get Perez back in via the VFL slowly.

He's only really competing with Atu, Young and Hayden to be that first reserves half back and I think he's ahead of all of them.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Nope, no way.

I don't see how you can say Bonar and Atu are just automatic incumbents because they are 10 and 22 game veterans respectively.

I think he's got the potential to be an amazing half back but I don't think he is ready for round 1.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong if he does - but I'm expecting we will get a proper look at how he fairs next week v Melbourne.

The reason he slid in the draft was because recruiters felt he avoided contact - whether or not they were right, it will be interesting to see how he goes against a real opposition and not just his teammates.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he's got the potential to be an amazing half back but I don't think he is ready for round 1.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong if he does - but I'm expecting we will get a proper look at how he fairs next week v Melbourne.

The reason he slid in the draft was because recruiters felt he avoided contact - whether or not they were right, it will be interesting to see how he goes against a real opposition and not just his teammates.

No it wasn't.

It was all based around his kicking, composure and endurance.

I've never once read his hardness ever being questioned.

Do you think a kid averaging near 8 clearances a game is one that tries to avoid contact?

"As a midfielder, he averaged 24.5 disposals and 8.0 clearances in the Vic Metro trial games, and 21.6 disposals and 5.2 clearances in the NAB league.

Equally impressive was his time spend down back, averaging 30.5 disposals, 8.5 intercept possessions and 4.0 intercept marks in three games played in defence."

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nope, no way.

I believe we have said Bonar would be ready for round 1.
The two match sims I’ve watched, I thought Atu has been pretty good.
Goater has certainly been impressive though - physically he looks ready. I was surprised at his size & build seeing him close up.
If Perez plays in the pre season games, it will certainly be interesting what our backline will look like. We have a lot of options for medium/small defender role.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
doubt atu and bonar are ahead of him tbh.
I know people here are on the Bonar train but he can't shake his constant injuries and thats a big red flag.
Bonar played good footy last year
Atu has had a good preseason
Goater is very new and we have players who know the system and expectations.
Like I said, I can't see him demanding a spot.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ridley is about 2" taller than him, which is a big difference when you are bodying key forwards side to side.

I think in the immediate term he is Hall/JZ's natural replacement and then after 100 games or so he might transition into a midfield role once Cunners and Greenwood hang up the boots.
has that ever actually happened for a guy though? that sounds like what brad scott tried to do with shaun atley.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nothing tells me Perez is in front of anyone on our list.

Perez has all the tools to be a great player, but let’s just get a block of footy at VFL level into him before proclaiming him to be a part of our AFL back six.

If Goater is showing form in the Practice Matches there is no reason he can’t be there Round 1.

It’s the perfect year to fast track these kids for us to start our climb in 2023.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Nothing tells me Perez is in front of anyone on our list.

Perez has all the tools to be a great player, but let’s just get a block of footy at VFL level into him before proclaiming him to be a part of our AFL back six.

If Goater is showing form in the Practice Matches there is no reason he can’t be there Round 1.

It’s the perfect year to fast track these kids for us to start our climb in 2023.

I didn't say he was part of our back 6. i said (healthy) he was in front of goater who also isn't in our back 6.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I didn't say he was part of our back 6. i said (healthy) he was in front of goater who also isn't in our back 6.
In footballing terms I don’t think he is any more advanced than Goater.

The advantage he has over Goater is that even while injured he has had that chance to bulk up.

But if Goater can show something for the rest of the preseason he might just be in calculations for a Round 1 debut.

Goaters elite speed gives him a big leg up when it comes to transitioning to AFL level. You aren’t going to get crunched as often if you can create separation.

In footballing terms I don’t think he is any more advanced than Goater.

The advantage he has over Goater is that even while injured he has had that chance to bulk up.

But if Goater can show something for the rest of the preseason he might just be in calculations for a Round 1 debut.

Goaters elite speed gives him a big leg up when it comes to transitioning to AFL level. You aren’t going to get crunched as often if you can create separation.
Especially in our side, where speed is a rare asset.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hope the Goat gets a taste at senior level this year, however 2023 is probably when he really pushes up for selection.

Not sure how long until Hall slows down, but really hope we get to see those two play together. Been a while since we would have looked so quick & aggressive off half back.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hope the Goat gets a taste at senior level this year, however 2023 is probably when he really pushes up for selection.

Not sure how long until Hall slows down, but really hope we get to see those two play together. Been a while since we would have looked so quick & aggressive off half back.
performs not only an accumulator role but also intercepts when needed.
Reckon we'll see him on field earlier than expected.
Noble loves versatile players.

Back